Barta out?

Iowa's 247 guy has a source that "confirms" the retirement. My guess is that he's "retiring". He has little interest in NIL, which is a crime these days. On a podcast (and other places), it was stated that he has never called the head of The Swarm. What the...???

Beth Goetz next? Former AD at Ball State, interim AD at Minnesota and current Deputy Director of Athletics and Chief Operating Officer at Iowa.

So my guess is Brians stupid contract clauses will get all ripped up by the new AD. How they'll handle his status will be interesting. That whole deal is so odd. You can't tell me that Barta didn't know back when they did that that he wasn't thinking about retiring. Why do something as dumb as that when you won't be around to see it play out?

Anyone who thinks Barta lost more money for Iowa then he generated is comical and doesn't really understand how that seat works. That said, I'm excited to get some new blood and lord knows Barta had some horrible PR blunders but it's also hard to argue that Iowa athletics didn't excel under his watch. All the flagship programs are having success and in most cases have been exceptional.

Anyone who thinks Barta lost more money for Iowa then he generated is comical and doesn't really understand how that seat works. That said, I'm excited to get some new blood and lord knows Barta had some horrible PR blunders but it's also hard to argue that Iowa athletics didn't excel under his watch. All the flagship programs are having success and in most cases have been exceptional.
Raising $ was his forte.... He was chummy with all the high dollar donor folks. His $ raising ability was why he was able to stick around in spite of all the lawsuits. He had a lot to do with the new football facility being built. All the renovations to Kinnick the last 10 yrs or so. Carver with the practice facility and wrestling. To say their was meat left on that bone and maybe more coulda been raised is tough to say.

Raising $ was his forte.... He was chummy with all the high dollar donor folks. His $ raising ability was why he was able to stick around in spite of all the lawsuits. He had a lot to do with the new football facility being built. All the renovations to Kinnick the last 10 yrs or so. Carver with the practice facility and wrestling. To say their was meat left on that bone and maybe more coulda been raised is tough to say.
right, imo, this very good news for Iowa who desperately needs new blood and direction at the top. I am sure there was meat left on the bone but that's going to be with any AD. I just mean it's hard to argue that the athletic department didn't thrive under his watch, monetarily, and on the field of play. He also actually won with both Kirk's and Fran's contracts that were wildly panned. He's getting both guys for a song when you look at their results vs. where they rank with their peers.

He was actually quite good with contracts IMO, which will go over on this site like a wet fart but find me another coach in football who went 71-30 the last 7 years that's making under 7 million.

Also, find me another coach with Fran's paycheck (10th highest in the B1G) that has had the success he has had at Iowa?

He was shit with PR and I am glad he's out and everyone should be celebrating, but let's not act like he didn't do a lot of great things for Iowa athletics.

So my guess is Brians stupid contract clauses will get all ripped up by the new AD. How they'll handle his status will be interesting. That whole deal is so odd. You can't tell me that Barta didn't know back when they did that that he wasn't thinking about retiring. Why do something as dumb as that when you won't be around to see it play out?
My guess is that contracts that have been signed won't change with the change in the AD. Unless it's a better deal for Brian and they offered him a more favorable contract. Which is doubtful.

Last edited:
1). Barta is being forced out, right? He recently said he'd keep at it "as long as they'll have me." It sounds like they will no longer have him.

2). I have a hard time giving him a ton of credit for fundraising. It's not a particularly tough job at Iowa. People love their Hawkeyes and support them financially. Maybe he didn't alienate or piss off donors who wanted to give money. Sort of a low bar.

3). All the scandals and lawsuits aside (which deserve their own thread), he has shown little agility or creativity when it comes to finances.

My guess is that contracts that have been signed won't change with the change in the AD. Unless it's a better deal for Brian favor and they offered him a more favorable contract. Which is doubtful.
Who's to say really. New AD will have lots on their plate initially. Something like that could be pretty far down their list. Could just be left alone. It just wouldn't surprise me if at some point during the season it's quietly ripped up with next to no announcement of it having been done.