Barta & Mason must be held Accountable

I can see the torch and pitchfork crew is all ready gearing up.
As a Hawkeye fan I agree whole heartedly. It is amazing how almost anything will trigger a fire storm of comments from these people that obviously don't have a life outside of this forum. I spoke with a fellow Hawk in Arizona yesterday and he told me he absolutely wouldn't go back on this board because of it. Its like everytime a prospect is selected by ISU or Minnesota, they will come back with "Why didn't we offer this guy" or "we need to take a look at this guy", like our coaching staff is oblivous to all of the athletes out there. I think I could right a humorous book just re-writing the posts since this board has come up. The old board ruled and was great and worth every penny of the $100 a year. This board?

Well when you have articles and radio talk about Iowa going East, its gets me riled up!

Maybe this happens but I think the odds are against it. Too much time has passed and there has been way too much speculation. I think Rittenberg laid out a very plausible scenario in his latest article.

As a Hawkeye fan I agree whole heartedly. It is amazing how almost anything will trigger a fire storm of comments from these people that obviously don't have a life outside of this forum. I spoke with a fellow Hawk in Arizona yesterday and he told me he absolutely wouldn't go back on this board because of it. Its like everytime a prospect is selected by ISU or Minnesota, they will come back with "Why didn't we offer this guy" or "we need to take a look at this guy", like our coaching staff is oblivous to all of the athletes out there. I think I could right a humorous book just re-writing the posts since this board has come up. The old board ruled and was great and worth every penny of the $100 a year. This board?

I really don't think saying that Barta and Mason should be held accountable if this happens is that outlandish of a statement. :rolleyes:

Or are you saying Hawkeye fans should be okay with the outcome if we lose out on playing Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Nebraska every year?

I really don't think saying that Barta and Mason should be held accountable if this happens is that outlandish of a statement. :rolleyes:

Or are you saying Hawkeye fans should be okay with the outcome if we lose out on playing Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Nebraska every year?

I think what he is saying is it really worth getting this fired up over right now considering we have no clue whats going to happen? And all signs point to us playing Nebby and Minny every year

I think what he is saying is it really worth getting this fired up over right now considering we have no clue whats going to happen? And all signs point to us playing Nebby and Minny every year

You are probably right. It just seems like in the last couple days the idea of playing in the East has become very real. However, it seems as if that is starting to shift back the other way.

The thought of being in the East makes me sick to my stomach. I worry about Wisconsin getting what they want because Alvarez is evidently a gopher for Delaney. Maybe they go to the East with the guarantee that they get Nebraska the last week of the season.

If in fact Iowa does go east then I agree that Mason and Barta should be held to account. Iowa to the east is a horrible horrible idea. I have to say that almost everything that I have heard and read is pointing to iowa going to the eastern division and frankly it would not surprise me if Mason agreed to this scenario. Iowa to the east just so Michigan and OSU can have a shot to meet in the title game - awesome.

If Mason votes for Iowa in the East therefore losing 2 of our 3 rivalries, she must be held acountable. The tailgating rules were the tip of the iceberg and will only get worse. Now we could possibly lose Minnesota, Wisconsin, Nebraska and possibly Illinois? I don't know if the vote will be public, but i hope the media and website owners pressure her for an answer on how she voted. I also hope that send a barrage of questions at Barta and ask him what specifically he did to try to save Iowa in the West.

This is putting a hypothetical cart too far in front of the horse...not that I dont do that sometimes on some topics, but not when it comes to railing people for something that hasn't even come to pass.

The cart and the horse will be gone when the divisions come out and will never come back. Now is the time they know how fans feel.

This is putting a hypothetical cart too far in front of the horse...not that I dont do that sometimes on some topics, but not when it comes to railing people for something that hasn't even come to pass.

I agree with not railing on someone for something that hasn't happened. In addition, Mason/Barta are only 1 voice among 12, so there's not a lot either of them can do if the rest of the league agrees with shipping Iowa East.

HOWEVER, they can be held to account for any vote they cast. If the final scenario has Iowa to the East and they sign off on that with their vote, then one or both of them should be sent packing before they even get off the plane from Chicago after casting their vote.

So in the end, I won't hold them accountable for the end result, since a 1/12 voice isn't large enough to make a difference.....but I will hold them accountable and demand their removal if they vote "YES" to sending Iowa to the East Division.

I agree with not railing on someone for something that hasn't happened. In addition, Mason/Barta are only 1 voice among 12, so there's not a lot either of them can do if the rest of the league agrees with shipping Iowa East.

HOWEVER, they can be held to account for any vote they cast. If the final scenario has Iowa to the East and they sign off on that with their vote, then one or both of them should be sent packing before they even get off the plane from Chicago after casting their vote.

So in the end, I won't hold them accountable for the end result, since a 1/12 voice isn't large enough to make a difference.....but I will hold them accountable and demand their removal if they vote "YES" to sending Iowa to the East Division.

This is exactly what the thread says.

The only thing I don't get is why do the presidents vote on this? Maybe I'm wrong here, but aren't the divisions solely for athletic purposes? If they have nothing to do with research grants, academics, etc. then why don't the AD's vote on it?

The only thing I don't get is why do the presidents vote on this? Maybe I'm wrong here, but aren't the divisions solely for athletic purposes? If they have nothing to do with research grants, academics, etc. then why don't the AD's vote on it?

Yes the divisions are for athletic purposes (specifically football) but those athletic departments reside at the Universities. This gives the Presidents ultimate authority over the fate of their schools/athletic departments

If Mason votes for Iowa in the East therefore losing 2 of our 3 rivalries, she must be held acountable.

While I won't be happy if Iowa is in the B10(+2) East, how do you suggest holding accountable someone who is in a non-electable position (Sally Mason), appointed by people who are in a non-electable position (Board of Reagents) that are influenced by big-business (Welmark), and of whom are appointed by elected officials who no longer give a f$&k about their constituents (State Legislature)?

In other words, unless you are someone who is about to donate a cool million or more to the University (& yes, I have personally seen this happen, with a donor I work with & said president), don't plan on Sally Mason giving two-sh$ts about what the average fan thinks.

This whole situation is akin to modern day politics, money talks. & while I don't understand it, the B10 is making this decision based on what situation will generate the most TV revenue, and everyone that has a vote is trusting that they are right so their Universities pockets get fatter.

Well when you have articles and radio talk about Iowa going East, its gets me riled up!

What articles have you read that have Iowa going to the East? BHGP has Iowa in the West with Michigan and Wisconsin, and Jon has written the same thing on this site.

Based on the new information, what Jon has written on the front page (as far as divisional alignment goes) makes the most sense. Putting Iowa into the East makes as much sense as ISU being in the Big 12 South.

What articles have you read that have Iowa going to the East? BHGP has Iowa in the West with Michigan and Wisconsin, and Jon has written the same thing on this site.

Based on the new information, what Jon has written on the front page (as far as divisional alignment goes) makes the most sense. Putting Iowa into the East makes as much sense as ISU being in the Big 12 South.

I don't know if this was the best analogy to use...ISU doesn't make sense anywhere.:p:D

Demand their removal??? Ha!!! You guys are crazy. "I'm a tough guy, and I'm going to start a petition for their removal. If that doesn't work, I'm going to start a picket line outside their offices. If that doesn't work, I'm going to storm those offices and yell and stuff" Really...what are you going to do?

Those are going to do what's best for school.

Not to submarine another thread, but Barta has already stated what the University's preference is:

Iowa wants Big Ten border rivals on schedule - ESPN

Latest posts