Barnes was apparently VERY impressive last night

You think back to some of the better recent coaches at both schools and wonder whether any one of them could have persuaded him to stay in state: Lute Olson, George Raveling (regardless of what you thought of him as a bench coach he was a heckuva recruiter), Tom Davis, Johnny Orr, Maury John.

I would actually wonder if FH would have had a better chance at him if he had been around ames for the past 5 years or so. He could probably have related to and developed a better relationship with HB than any of the coaches mentioned above.

I see tweeterhawk was appointed to the forum police. If you dont like this topic, go to one of the other many topics regarding hawkeye sports. It appears several people were interested in talking about this topic, see above. HB is a talented athlete from the state of Iowa, someone wanted it noted that he had a great debut. I dont understand why people feel the need to post to complain about a topic they dont like, just move on to the next.

I don't care at all if people want to talk about Barnes, but he chose to go to UNC, not Iowa or ISU. So in my book, Barnes is a Tar Heel, not a Hawkeye or a Clone. He's entitled to play outside the state if he wants, but that said, I don't care one way or the other what he does for UNC or beyond. No different than Raef Lafrentz, Kirk Heinrich or Nick Collison.. Just another player Roy Williams nabbed from the state of Iowa.

I don't care at all if people want to talk about Barnes, but he chose to go to UNC, not Iowa or ISU. So in my book, Barnes is a Tar Heel, not a Hawkeye or a Clone. He's entitled to play outside the state if he wants, but that said, I don't care one way or the other what he does for UNC or beyond. No different than Raef Lafrentz, Kirk Heinrich or Nick Collison.. Just another player Roy Williams nabbed from the state of Iowa.

I would disagree somewhat because unlike with Heinrich, Collison, and Lafrentz, ISU and Iowa basketball are in much worse shape than they were then. Also, none of those guys was hyped nearly as much as Barnes who has been talked about as the #1 pick in the 2011 draft since he got to high school. I know it was a different era as far as recruiting went, but when Heinrich left high school no one was saying he'd be a #1 pick. Barnes would be been putting $12-28M guarenteed on the line by committing to ISU or Iowa and failing.

I would disagree somewhat because unlike with Heinrich, Collison, and Lafrentz, ISU and Iowa basketball are in much worse shape than they were then. Also, none of those guys was hyped nearly as much as Barnes who has been talked about as the #1 pick in the 2011 draft since he got to high school. I know it was a different era as far as recruiting went, but when Heinrich left high school no one was saying he'd be a #1 pick. Barnes would be been putting $12-28M guarenteed on the line by committing to ISU or Iowa and failing.

I agree with you, but what I meant when I said Barnes is the "same" as Lafrentz, Collison, etc. is that I won't follow Barnes' career any more than I did the other guys, which is not very much. I just view him as another bigtime recruit playing for another bigtime program, and not an Iowa school.

I'm not bitter towards Barnes. I am just indifferent.

I watched the game. Barnes was very good immediately. He hit 4 of 4 three pointers,but also went inside and got a couple of offensive rebounds and putbacks.
Very versatile player. I thought Fran Franschilla's comparison to Sean Elliott of Arizona is a very good comparison.

I'm not bitter towards Barnes. I am just indifferent.

Ok, I misunderstood what you were saying. It's obviously pretty early to know this, but there have been some Kobe comparisons especially with his ability to score from Chad Ford the ESPN.com NBA draft "expert". Idk if he can reach that type of career achievement since that's pretty lofty, but I think that's his biggest appeal to those of us Iowans that are interested because no Iowa kid has really acheived what he has the potential to even if it's nothing more than being drafted #1 overall and being a bust.

I think that's his biggest appeal to those of us Iowans that are interested because no Iowa kid has really acheived what he has the potential to even if it's nothing more than being drafted #1 overall and being a bust.

I have to agree, that would be neat to see. Ricky Davis is probably the Iowan who was closest that I can think of, but Davis was certainly still a long ways from Kobe status.

It would be all the better if Barnes (or anyone) would come out of one of the Iowa schools to be an NBA hall of famer or something like that, but I can't blame Barnes for going to a program like UNC, either.

I guess I confess a small bit of bitterness as I type this, but it's not towards Barnes, but more bitterness that we don't have him, and didn't even have a shot.

Meh...don't care. Hope he does well since he is an Iowa kid, but he doesn't play for the Hawks (or any Iowa college), so.....meh.

Latest posts