Bandwagon fans

Bandwagon fans are usually the fans that give the teams fans a bad name. They are the ones that talk about how great they are and how much better they are than the other guys. The true fans of a team have known the low points they have known the high points they have known the average streaks. Bandwagons only know the great, and are dillweed because of it.

Pretty much just explained the football board on HawkeyeNation. Nice work.

Been a UNI Panther fan since I went there. That being said, I'll root for all of the Iowa schools as it's easy to do; they play in different conferences. And, the smart fans of Iowa or Iowa State, or UNI would want the other schools to be good as it helps them indirectly with strength of schedule.

Baseball-Twins. They're the anti-Yankees. Small market, home grown talent, and they normally play smart baseball.
NFL- Vikings. Been a fan my whole life, even when they lost 4 Super Bowls. If they move out of the Twin Cities, I'll have to get a new favorite NFL team; most likely the Broncos. I followed them when I lived out West. If the Vikes move; I'll follow them again.

NBA- meh.

NHL- Colorado Avalanche.

All that being said, what gets me is how Iowa TV markets are bandwagon markets. When I lived in S. Dakota, you were in Vikings and Broncos country, and the Twins and Rockies. Here in Iowa, I notice that they tend to go with whomever is winning.Win, or lose, that's what you got. If the Vikings were as good as the Packers, I'm sure that the Eastern Iowa FOX team would be carrying the Vikes. As it is now, they like the Packers and Bears. If the Chiefs start winning, we'll start seeing the Chiefs. When I moved back to Iowa 7 years ago, I thought it curious that the Cedar Rapids station showed so many Colts games. I wonder why? Moreover, I wonder why the Colts aren't on hardly at all this year?

All that being said, what gets me is how Iowa TV markets are bandwagon markets. When I lived in S. Dakota, you were in Vikings and Broncos country, and the Twins and Rockies. Here in Iowa, I notice that they tend to go with whomever is winning.Win, or lose, that's what you got. If the Vikings were as good as the Packers, I'm sure that the Eastern Iowa FOX team would be carrying the Vikes. As it is now, they like the Packers and Bears. If the Chiefs start winning, we'll start seeing the Chiefs. When I moved back to Iowa 7 years ago, I thought it curious that the Cedar Rapids station showed so many Colts games. I wonder why? Moreover, I wonder why the Colts aren't on hardly at all this year?

We really do have a mix in eastern Iowa for the NFL as there are mainly Bears, Packers, Vikings, and some Chiefs fans around here. But depending on who is winning determines which fans are more vocal and seen. When the Bears are winning it seems like everyone is wearing Bears stuff, right now it seems like everyone has Packer stuff on. The TV stations are the same way, right now Viking fans are finding other things to do with their time on Sundays pretty soon us Bears fans will be as well. They are definately not people switching loyalties back and forth.

Baseball kinda the same way although I think eastern Iowa is mostly Cub fans but Cardinal fans right now the most vocal and there is a decent size Twin following.

No, not precisely. The description he gave for a true fan is not quite fair. Is it my fault I was born at such a time, that at about the age when I would really get into sitting still long enough to watch a 3-hour football game, it happened to be 2001?

I'm sure there are plenty of fans like that, for any team you can think of. You can't hold it against a fan, who didn't suffer through the low points, simply because they weren't even born yet. It's the people who COULD have stuck out the bad times, and CHOSE not to, that aren't real fans.

And there are very few people on the football board seriously considering abandoning the team. They're just frustrated. A bandwagoner avoids this frustration with ease by simply hopping onto the next bandwagon.

No, not precisely. The description he gave for a true fan is not quite fair. Is it my fault I was born at such a time, that at about the age when I would really get into sitting still long enough to watch a 3-hour football game, it happened to be 2001?

I'm sure there are plenty of fans like that, for any team you can think of. You can't hold it against a fan, who didn't suffer through the low points, simply because they weren't even born yet. It's the people who COULD have stuck out the bad times, and CHOSE not to, that aren't real fans.

And there are very few people on the football board seriously considering abandoning the team. They're just frustrated. A bandwagoner avoids this frustration with ease by simply hopping onto the next bandwagon.
That is true. If you grow up on a team you get a exemption for being born into winning. Its how you act on your teams inevitable decline that determines if you are a bandwagon fan. If you abandon them after the rise it was bandwagon, if you stick with them you are true. It is more just adults and people who pick the winners after they had time to decide who was the best that are the jumpers.
If you are from a family of broncos fan and you grow up with Elway, you cant be faulted for that, if you stuck with them until the savior came then you are legit.

Im not that much older than you (28) and never suffered through the 19 losing seasons in a row and completely disagree. To each their own though.

ISU Hawk
You are an example of why Packers fans were voted the most obnoxious by An ESPN poll a few years ago.

I always have and always will be a way bigger Packers fan than Hawkeye fan or anything for that matter. It was actually fed down from my Gpa back in the day to my dad and then to me. My entire family is die hard Packers. And fair weather fan? I'M FROM CENTRAL IOWA! Everyone here chooses between the Queens, Bears, Packers, or Chiefs. I was born into the Packers. Who is your NFL team westview? Do you pride yourself by loving a terrible team like Cubs fans do? If so, again, YOU ARE SOOOOO COOL!

Being upset with the way things are going with the program doesn't make someone a bandwagon fan. A bandwagon fan is one who doesn't follow the team if they aren't winning, and then come back again when the team does win.

MLB: Royals and Cubs
NFl: Chiefs and Bears
College: Iowa

When I did watch the NBA, I rooted for the Bulls because Michael Jordan was my idol. I don't watch the NBA and probably never will again.

Im not that much older than you (28) and never suffered through the 19 losing seasons in a row and completely disagree. To each their own though.

There's a difference between being a bandwagoner and not being a homer. Everything is not rainbows and unicorns all the time. Admitting this and being frustrated by it doesn't make one a bandwagoner. ABANDONING the team, because not everything is R&U, does.

I've voiced my frustrations around here, with both football and basketball. But the day I stop loving the Hawks is the day......nevermind. That day will never come.

I like the Packers because they were on my tv a lot when I was a kid and my dad is a Bears fan and my mom is a Vikings fan. I guess I wanted to be different.

I was a casual Bulls fan during the dynasty as a kid, I actually started following them closely after Jordan for some reason.

I've loved baseball all my life, probably was a Yankee fan (though there were times I declared myself a Rockies, Cubs, Pirates and Marlins fan) as a young kid because my dad was then I switched to the Cubs in 98 during their playoff run and have been following them ever since.

I've been a Hawkeye fan since birth. It's what our family does.

I decided about 5 years ago (2 years before the Blackhawks won the cup) that I was going to follow hockey closely and if I wanted to do so the Blackhawks were my only option to watch regularly.

Last edited:
There's a difference between being a bandwagoner and not being a homer. Everything is not rainbows and unicorns all the time. Admitting this and being frustrated by it doesn't make one a bandwagoner. ABANDONING the team, because not everything is R&U, does.

I've voiced my frustrations around here, with both football and basketball. But the day I stop loving the Hawks is the day......nevermind. That day will never come.

I should clarify. I dont think the post I was referring to correctly defined what a bandwagon fan is. I just think what he said was pretty spot on to the way the football board has been the last 15 months.

I know its not all rainbows and unicorns but it also isnt fire and brimstone all the time, which seems to be how this board can get in tough times. I think you and me both wish there would be a lot more reasonable, fair-minded posts when it comes to talking about the Hawks. And that goes for both sides of the argument.

Every time Iowa gets blown out in basketball I say to myself "I think I'm giving this up until they get respectable". Next game I'm in front of the TV or computer depending upon if it's on TV or not saying the same thing.

The year Iowa went 1-10 is one of the more memorable seasons to me. I wear that season like a badge as I was watching every game, all in emotionally that year.

I am not a Cubs fan, but I would like to see them win a World Series as a reward to all the loyal Cub fans. I can see some one being a Packers, Yankees, or Celtics fan, but if they are a fan of all these teams they are bandwagon fans. Some people have to follow a winner so they can brag.

I am not a Cubs fan, but I would like to see them win a World Series as a reward to all the loyal Cub fans. I can see some one being a Packers, Yankees, or Celtics fan, but if they are a fan of all these teams they are bandwagon fans. Some people have to follow a winner so they can brag.
I remember hating all the Cowboys/Bulls/Yankees fans in the 90's granted i was in grade school and so where they, but i still couldn't stand the bandwagon jumpers.

Hawks fan
Vikings fan
Timberwolves fan
Cubs fan

My sports life sucks. Luckily I bang hot models on a consistent basis

I can't understand rooting against you country in international competition. I try to pull for my nationalities in the olympics when they are going against other countries and I find myself not caring.

Latest posts