Bandwagon fans

westview

I am always amazed how many people are bandwagon fans. I have a friend who is a fan of the Packers, Yankees, and Lakers. I guess some people have to follow a winner. When I was young there were very few Packer fans. Most Packers fans I know became fans after Vince. None of the teams I follow were good when I became a fan.

I hear ya Westview.

Cubs- havent won a WS in 103 years and counting

Vikings- have never won a Super Bowl (51 years)

Hawkeyes- have 1 National Title in football (1958 I believe)

Thats a combined 207 seasons since my favorite baseball or football teams have won a championship.

I am also a Celtics fan and they won in 2008 but I suffered through some awful Celtic teams in parts of the 90's and 2000's.

Tell me about it - my dad claims to be a Yankees fan, a Celtics fan, and just found out this year that he is also a Packers fan.

Myself? Hawkeyes and Cubs. No bandwagon for me.

Hawkeyes- have 1 National Title in football (1958 I believe)

You don't get into wrestling?

My favorites:

Cubs - recent front office hires has me interested
Bears - This is tough to admit after they got Tebow'd. But at least we have the greatest football team ever (1985).
Bulls - With DRose this team is fun to watch again.
Hawkeyes - I always look forward to football season, wrestling fun to watch, but I miss the good basketball teams and the NCAA tournaments.

hawkeyes
KC Royals (Cards #2)
Atlanta Hawks
Grew up loving the Houston Oilers but for whatever reason lost that when they became the Titans. Now I pretty much watch for enjoyment...pull for former Hawks and local kids and don't really claim a team. I am finding myself tune to Jets games lately if they are on.

Hawkeyes (Basketball then Football)
Texas A&M (Football and then Basketball)
Red Sox - have been a fan since the mid-80s. Oil Can Boyd, Roger Clemens, Al Nipper, Wade Boggs, Billy Buckner, Mike Greenwell (probably my favorite outfielder of all time)
Vikings - right up until they traded their soul to the Cowboys for Hershel Walker....since then I've bounced around but will never be a Cowboys or Packers fan.

Sports is entertainment - now more than ever. We all have lots of entertainment options with increasing constraints on our time.

I prefer to invest time and money into things that bring me some level of reward or at least the prospect of reward.

Getting too emotionally invested in sports teams is wrought with potential personal pitfalls. If self-flagellation is the definition of being a 'true fan', than I am out.

I spend more time and money on a team I root for when they are competitive and/or the product is interesting. If that makes me a 'bandwagon' fan, than so be it. I am not stuck in staunch idealogy or demagoguery politically, spiritually, or in fandom. I guess this keeps me open to new ideas and progressive thought.
This is not to say that I look down on anyone who deems being a 'true fan' is sticking with your team at all costs. It's just that a lack of critical thinking often leads to mediocrity, alienation, arrogance, and complacency.

I respect all Hawks at heart, as I believe we all ultimately want the same thing - an exciting, relevant program.

I think a lot of it depends on when you started following sports. I was born in 86 and my favorite teams are the Bulls, Cowboys, and the Yankees. Now isn't that interesting.

Westview your so cool!!! I've been a packers yankees and hawks fan my entire life. Brainwashed since birth. I also havent missed a pack game since I can remember. GO PACK GO. GO PACK GO. EAT IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Cubs- self explanatory
Hawks- born with it
Colts- I don't care so much about the NFL, I just started rooting for them once they got Dallas Clark and Bob Sanders.
Bulls- I'm a casual fan here, because I don't care as much about basketball.
Blackhawks- really got into hockey leading up to the 2010 Olympics, and everybody around Iowa City is a Blackhawks fan, so I started watching them and haven't stopped since.

My only real team is Iowa. When it comes to professional football I grew up a bears fan but more than not find myself rooting for exhawkeyes teams: Jets, Vikings, Colts whoever has a hawk starting for the most part.

Baseball sucks to watch unless your at the game.
Basketball fukn sucks, overpaid whiners (lockout proved this). Sry basketball isn't the same as when Jordan and Bird played, have abunch of tattooed thug wanna be tough guys.

ISU Hawk
You are an example of why Packers fans were voted the most obnoxious by An ESPN poll a few years ago.

My only real team is Iowa. When it comes to professional football I grew up a bears fan but more than not find myself rooting for exhawkeyes teams: Jets, Vikings, Colts whoever has a hawk starting for the most part.

Baseball sucks to watch unless your at the game.
Basketball fukn sucks, overpaid whiners (lockout proved this). Sry basketball isn't the same as when Jordan and Bird played, have abunch of tattooed thug wanna be tough guys.

In the early part of the post-Jordan era, I'd agree with you. Even up until the second half of last year, I would have agreed. Because I had stopped watching because of all the thugs of the early 2000's. Plus I hated the complete lack of defense from anyone outside of Detroit and San Antonio.

But most of those guys are gone, and what we're seeing now is good basketball again with young, marketable stars. The NBA really is worth watching again.

Who cares if someone is a bandwagon fan? How does it affect you?

It's just annoying. Especially when they don't know anything about the team they "root" for.

For example: I've got several friends who are Yankee "fans". When the Yanks won the WS a couple years ago, naturally those people were going nuts and rubbing it in everyone's faces. I looked a couple of them in the eye and said: "Name the Yankees' starting lineup." They got Jeter and A-Rod, and one of them got C.C. and Posada. That's it. I HATE the Yankees, but I could have rattled off the starting lineup like it was nothing.

That's what makes bandwagon fans so annoying. They're usually the ones who are the most obnoxious when the team wins.

You don't get into wrestling?

I follow the wrestling team and watch the Big 10's and national tournaments but to say that I celebrate a wrestling national title the way I would celebrate if the Hawks won a football or basketball national title is far from the truth.

I was talking major sports, thats not meant to be insult to wrestling or its fans.

Bandwagon fans are usually the fans that give the teams fans a bad name. They are the ones that talk about how great they are and how much better they are than the other guys. The true fans of a team have known the low points they have known the high points they have known the average streaks. Bandwagons only know the great, and are dillweed because of it.

Latest posts