Balanced Hawkeye Attack Too Much for Minnesota

RobHowe

Administrator
Iowa knocked off Minnesota, 94-80, Tuesday night. Here's the game story with box score, interviews and photos:

LINK

Wow that was the most competent 60 minutes I think I have seen so far in conference play. I know that Minnesota is reeling and undermanned, but I still think they are capable of beating us with some of our previous defensive performances. Tonight though we played a pretty high level of ball on both sides for a full 60 minutes. Still improvements need to be made defensively to compete with the better teams in the B1G, but it does look like a couple of strides have been made. I am hoping the progress continues.

A thread with no mention of Barta, how refreshing. I think the tighter rotation has helped some of these players. Guys know their gonna play extended minutes. Some of them are looking way more relaxed now, not afraid of an early hook. Gaza and Cook are getting real chemistry together. JBo was playing the best D I've seen him play and even Moss is trying.(Still too many lazy swipes at the ball instead of good footwork for me). Face it, this is the team we expected two months ago. Hey, better late than never.

I am surprised how poor a lot of teams look in the conference.

Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin...shells of what once was, it appears to me.

A win is a win... I didn't watch much of the game but like what I see in Garza... The moments I saw reminded me of the Baer of Old.

The push for the final four continues...

Need...guards...guards...guards...

Every season is different. Nebraska has been terrible, they aren't this season. Iowa has been solid, Wisci has been better then average, they aren't anymore. Northwestern and Minne were good for a flash. That doesn't mean it will always be that way. 1 season doesn't make a program. Iowa hasn't had a season like this since Fran's first. Iowa does get 3 guards next season. Albeit they aren't good enough for most of the posters on here, but I still like a lot of the pieces Iowa has and will have as we move forward. They need to be able to consistently play and I am a firm believer that a lot can happen in 1 season. Go Hawks

I was impressed with the ball movement. I think it was Dakich who said, "You should never hold the ball longer than 2 seconds in a motion offense." For once, he is right. Iowa did that well vs MN.

Other than that big guy of MN kinda having his way at times what's there to nit pick about? That was a heck of a game. Everyone that played made plays. They seemed confident and had some mojo to them.
In regards to JBo I wish there was less of a love hate relationship with some (not all) of our fan base with him. We went from having MG who wasn't that great of an outside shooter and was hesitant to even take them sometimes to a guy that's doing some serious damage. I'd love to hear what other coaches have to say about him anonymously. Not just the coach speak. I bet they absolutely hate playing against him. He's a guy you'd think that their more athletic pg can check and take advantage of at both ends but look at the numbers at the end of the games... JBo is someone we'll miss when he's gone. Absolutely really miss so I hope more of us can enjoy what he's doing in the mean time.

Other than that big guy of MN kinda having his way at times what's there to nit pick about? That was a heck of a game. Everyone that played made plays. They seemed confident and had some mojo to them.
In regards to JBo I wish there was less of a love hate relationship with some (not all) of our fan base with him. We went from having MG who wasn't that great of an outside shooter and was hesitant to even take them sometimes to a guy that's doing some serious damage. I'd love to hear what other coaches have to say about him anonymously. Not just the coach speak. I bet they absolutely hate playing against him. He's a guy you'd think that their more athletic pg can check and take advantage of at both ends but look at the numbers at the end of the games... JBo is someone we'll miss when he's gone. Absolutely really miss so I hope more of us can enjoy what he's doing in the mean time.

It amazes me how bad of production we are getting at the 2 guard spot and how good of production we are getting from the point guard spot, yet people complain about our point guard.

I also noticed Bohannon played some pretty good defense last night on a pretty good player. I like how he denies the ball. Since he can't really keep guys in front of him, his best chance is to not let them get the ball. I also think his foot must be feeling better becasue he looks a lot more mobile lately.

I think the tighter rotation has helped some of these players. Guys know their gonna play extended minutes. Some of them are looking way more relaxed now
This is a great point. Nunge looked the most comfortable he has out there in weeks. Pemsl starting to regain his freshman form in recent games as well.

The next question would be when those guys come back from their injuries, what does Fran do? My guess is he reverts right back to the 11 man rotation, I have no evidence to point me elsewhere.

Wins hide a lot. Last night was another horrible defensive game against an undermanned team.

Defensive efficiency was 1.123 points per possession against Minnesota. Overall this season Iowa's giving up 1.057 points per possession (good for 278th in the nation). So last night Iowa played worse defense than it normally does. Thankfully they scored 90.

is a great point. Nunge looked the most comfortable he has out there in weeks. Pemsl starting to regain his freshman form in recent games as well.
It amazes me how bad of production we are getting at the 2 guard spot and how good of production we are getting from the point guard spot, yet people complain about our point guard.

I also noticed Bohannon played some pretty good defense last night on a pretty good player. I like how he denies the ball. Since he can't really keep guys in front of him, his best chance is to not let them get the ball. I also think his foot must be feeling better becasue he looks a lot more mobile lately.

He did play pretty good D. He was getting help though. The telling sign will be doing it straight up with a decent team.

How the Hawks do against a bit below average team on the road will be a real sign of where the Hawks are at.

3 very winnable games left. 3 tough games. Then there is the Penn State game in the middle. THAT one will be a real measuring stick.

Wins hide a lot. Last night was another horrible defensive game against an undermanned team.

Defensive efficiency was 1.123 points per possession against Minnesota. Overall this season Iowa's giving up 1.057 points per possession (good for 278th in the nation). So last night Iowa played worse defense than it normally does. Thankfully they scored 90.
I was kind of wondering about that. Even though Minnesota isn’t a great shooting team, it seemed like they still had a relatively off shooting night. Mason was 0-6 on 3s. Seems like he normally makes a few of those.

No doubt Iowa had been a 2 man team most of the year. JBo and Cook. When Iowa's won games they've had either Garza or Moss step up or both. I'd been killing Moss lately. I thought I was going to again after he got his 2nd foul in the first half. But he stepped up in the 2nd half and played really well. I think when he's playing well at the defensive end (which he really did) it helps him at the other end. Last night they had good games from pretty much everyone that played. Putting up over 90 pts sure doesn't hurt..

This team still has a big problem with giving up easy points when they have a lead. I think that's what happened last night. They played tough defense when they felt like they needed to. Then took possessions off when they scored a few times in a row. They need to learn to play hard even when they're scoring.

What was their offensive efficiency? Last time I checked if you score more than you give up you win. So they must have played their best offense on the season then?

At the risk of sounding like a "one note Johnny" the key stat is whether the opponent is making 3-pointers. Here are the 3pt stats from the Hawkeyes three B1G wins:

Minnesota: 7-25 28.0%
Wisconsin: 4-18 22.2%
Illinois: 7-24 29.2%

My guess is that when an opponent starts making 3-pointer after 3-pointer, the team (and the coaches) don't seem to know how to pull together to weather the storm. The Hawkeyes start quick-shooting, turning the ball over, overcompensating when somebody get beat on the dribble. Conversely, when our opponents are missing open 3-pts, the teams plays better, the defense becomes sounder, our shots fall.

I just hope the coaches are also seeing this trend. Regardless, this is a young team and if they ever can win a game despite a team being hot from the perimeter, that will be something they can draw from when they are juniors and seniors.

Latest posts