Baer...take note Uthoff

Kind of like when Ara Parseghian said to Rudy "he wished he could put his heart in his other players." But Baer has more talent than Rudy obviously.

Uthoff was off on the offensive end but still played great on defense. He was off and sat on the bench but still got double digit points. He was disappointedly soft with the basketball and had 8 turnovers iirc and looked to be fading away on his shots. Maybe sparty's physical play but he needs to go straight up through the defender and not fade away because as I heard Lute Olson say on a postgame many years ago it is hard to jump very high on defense when the offensive player is up through your space.

Uthoff was off on the offensive end but still played great on defense. He was off and sat on the bench but still got double digit points. He was disappointedly soft with the basketball and had 8 turnovers iirc and looked to be fading away on his shots. Maybe sparty's physical play but he needs to go straight up through the defender and not fade away because as I heard Lute Olson say on a postgame many years ago it is hard to jump very high on defense when the offensive player is up through your space.

When your box score reads 10 points (below your avg.) 5 rebounds (below your avg.) 6 blocks (outstanding!) but 8 turnovers in only 23 minutes played that is a bad, bad, bad game. You simply can't turn the ball over 8 times.

Good time to have a bad game for Jarrod though, and when Iowa beats the #1 team, does it really matter anyway??

Uthoff was mugged, and the refs liked it. That said, he played like Sally on offense. I just don't get it...

I said the same thing watching the game. If Uthoff played with a sliver of the toughness/grit or just as hard as Baer, he'd be a top 10 pick.

I know i will take crap for this, but since the ISU game I have notice this is a better team when mainly Utoff is on the bench. I am not saying Utoff is not good or the Hawks don’t need him. When he is on the court it seems that the other players are expecting or looking to him to take control and he doesn’t. When he’s not on the court everyone knows they have to “step up” more movement and ball sharing. I don’t know maybe I am completely wrong, but it is something I noticed. I think last night proved it as well in the first half.

As far as Baer goes how is he not the first off the bench, or even challenging for Joks starting position? Hawks best player right now is a walk on.

He's 3rd in scoring in the B1G - last week he was leading it in scoring...He had a off night offensively, still scored double figures and made a huge impact on the game defensively. The turnover's hurt, but it's not like he has these games routinely or turns it over 8 times every game, so I am not sure why he's feeling the heat today. He got the ball in some awkward spots and credit MSU for being up on him defensively. They keyed on him and the cast around him made the Spartans pay... that's a great thing IMO....but I guess to others that means Uthoff doesn't play hard enough.

He's 3rd in scoring in the B1G - last week he was leading it in scoring...He had a off night offensively, still scored double figures and made a huge impact on the game defensively. The turnover's hurt, but it's not like he has these games routinely or turns it over 8 times every game, so I am not sure why he's feeling the heat today. He got the ball in some awkward spots and credit MSU for being up on him defensively. They keyed on him and the cast around him made the Spartans pay... that's a great thing IMO....but I guess to others that means Uthoff doesn't play hard enough.

That's fine but i think what he lacks is leadership.

It's obvious that Uthoff is the main focus defensively for our opponents, I'm just glad the rest of the team can also play well when our best player is being locked down.

I don't disagree with that but I also don't think he needs to be the leader on this team with Mike, Woody and Sapp.

That's the thing a red shirt freshmen walk on is stepping up into that roll. When the starters are out there still trying to find the guy that is going to lead. This is where this team will struggle this year you saw it exposed at the end of the ISU game. I do think that Utoff needs to be the leader of this team.

How Uthoff's game transitions to the NBA will be interesting. He seems to struggle when teams get physical with him. The NBA is a much more physical game which makes me think it could be a struggle.

But he also has a unique skill set at 6' 10" with his shooting ability and handles. He's done fine in the B1G so maybe he'll be just fine in the NBA.

How Uthoff's game transitions to the NBA will be interesting. He seems to struggle when teams get physical with him. The NBA is a much more physical game which makes me think it could be a struggle.

But he also has a unique skill set at 6' 10" with his shooting ability and handles. He's done fine in the B1G so maybe he'll be just fine in the NBA.

It's not like Dirk Nowitzki is the most physical player out there. I'd say that's who's game most closely resembles Uthoff's in the NBA.

Uthoff had some struggles last night - but he still did contribute some positive plays.

However, he just needs to be more decisive (I know Fran and the staff tries to get him to be).

Stop jab stepping and swinging the ball all around -

1. launch it immediately.
2. make a move and drop the fade away.
3. make ONE fake and attack the rim.

A lot of his turnovers were from jacking around with the being indecisive.

He just needs to get the mentality of having no conscious.

It's not like Dirk Nowitzki is the most physical player out there. I'd say that's who's game most closely resembles Uthoff's in the NBA.

Kevin Durant (career 50% 40% 81%) is one college year.

Uthoff (career 50% 40% 79%)

Durant avg'd like 28 pts a game... but he also shot 10 more shots a game.

I'm not saying Uthoff is as good as Kevin Durant in anyway... they just have similar styles on offense.

Dirk's game is a lot different than Uthoffs. Dirk plays a lot with his back to the basket and has perfected the step back. Dirk also has 3 inches and 25 lbs on Jarrod.

Kevin Durant (career 50% 40% 81%) is one college year.

Uthoff (career 50% 40% 79%)

Durant avg'd like 28 pts a game... but he also shot 10 more shots a game.

I'm not saying Uthoff is as good as Kevin Durant in anyway... they just have similar styles on offense.

I think Duran'ts style of play is a lot more similar to Uthoff than Dirk's.

Wow, this thread.... Kid had a bad game (offensively) and everyone is eager to question his heart, leadership etc.

Latest posts