Baer reminds me

I have stated that Baer is the next Ryan Bowen. He is. The fact that Baer is reaching a level that Bowen reached, say in his JR season, speaks to Baer's potential. I think Baer has the potential to be that dead-eye 3 point sniper we've been missing. That would set him well above Bowen. I don't know that Baer will every be as good a rebounder as White or Street. I think the best comparison, for now is Bowen. Then, Baer will simply become Nicholas Baer and leave his own mark on the program.

Get him that scholly, Frannie boy!

Which really speaks volumes of his development as a player. Keep in mind, Baer only attempted one 3-point field goal in his entire high school career.

I'm glad he took the RS last year. We all wished Gabe would have had a RS season so we could have him back this year. I have a hunch we're all going to be very happy to have Baer back as a 5th year senior.

I was thinking Chris Street last night, as far as the hustle and tenacity he plays with. Love his passion.
He also reminds me of White with his defensive instincts and wing span, always seems to be tipping a ball or in the right place to pick up a cheap rebound.
He plays fearless and has tremendous confidence in himself but not arrogance. He keeps this up, he could be one of the all time fan favorites to go through this program.

Side Note - I liked the lineup with him and Uthoff on the floor at the same time. Haven't seen much of that yet had we? With those two guys on the floor we have a lot of defensive length and disruption and also both can spread the floor and shoot the 3 well.
I've loved him and Uthoff on the floor together too. I suggested they start together with Clemmons coming off the bench on another thread. I doubt Fran will go that route and how the mins are being spread out it really don't matter a whole lot. But if Uthoff can stay out of foul trouble and those two and Jok can be on the court together that's 3 legit 3 pt shooters. Being able to space the floor and either provide a one on one driver to score or dish is just how the game is played.

Dude has been fun to watch but are we sure that we shouldn't be dialing it back a bit about his potential considering he is a walk on and all? I've seen players have spurts for a couple of games and then not see it ever again after they are figured out and accounted for a bit.

I think comparisons to Bowen and Settles are good, but just so we don't always compare a white player to another white player, I'm going to throw out another comparison -- he reminds me a bit of Kenyon Murray with more range on his jumper. They both played a fluid game, both were tweener SFs, and both just seemed to be in the right place at the right time, both played great defense -- look at Murray's steal numbers! Of course, Murray was much more heralded coming out of HS.

Dude has been fun to watch but are we sure that we shouldn't be dialing it back a bit about his potential considering he is a walk on and all? I've seen players have spurts for a couple of games and then not see it ever again after they are figured out and accounted for a bit.

The scholarship versus walk on is irrelevant to me. Basketball skills are basketball skills. Baer and Ellingson are both RS freshmen. Baer is more versatile; is currently the better player; and has more upside moving forward IMO. I can't help but get excited about his potential...not just down the road but also his contributions this season.

I get where you're coming from. But Baer is just good with great instincts, a high basketball IQ and a well rounded game IMO. He doesn't have a sense of entitlement...recruited by lots of D-1 teams, etc. Guys like this often play with a chip on their shoulder and accomplish more than a player with comparable talent that was more heavily recruited. Jeff Hornacek comes to mind.

Last edited:
You guys are not remembering Bowen that well... Baer has made 15 three pointers already this year.. Bowen had 18 for his CAREER.
Baer is a way more dangerous looking offensive player.

Bowen was a defensive lock down man who rebounded and hustled -like 9 rebounds a game type dude.

He is built like Uthoff... has a very similar game... lanky and can shoot - block shots on defense.

He really isn't similar to many old hawkeye players (at least non that I remember in the since the Olson era).

Agreed. Hes a skinny white guy who hustles so everyone starts comparing him to other skinny white guys who hustled even though their games aren't similar.

Its comical.

If he was black but played exactly the same people would have a totally different set of comparisons.

Agreed. Hes a skinny white guy who hustles so everyone starts comparing him to other skinny white guys who hustled even though their games aren't similar.

Its comical.

If he was black but played exactly the same people would have a totally different set of comparisons.

^^^^^

Not sure if the above is just wierd or comical?

So my comparison was based on Ryan Bowen's hustle and scrappiness so can we say you do agree?? Or is it that you don't agree?? 2 white guys that hustle is a bad comparison? Or was it a good one because they both hustle? :) hummm..

What if he was Black and I compared him to another Black guy would that have been wrong to do?? Or have I missed the point? Because yes I would have probably compared him to somebody else? :)

Seriously wow!! What did I just read. :)

I've loved him and Uthoff on the floor together too. I suggested they start together with Clemmons coming off the bench on another thread. I doubt Fran will go that route and how the mins are being spread out it really don't matter a whole lot. But if Uthoff can stay out of foul trouble and those two and Jok can be on the court together that's 3 legit 3 pt shooters. Being able to space the floor and either provide a one on one driver to score or dish is just how the game is played.

I think it depends on matchups and who is on the floor for the opponent some too. Clemmons did a fantastic job the other night on defense, one of his best games as a Hawk. I think the biggest thing for me is when we have a lead late in the game we need to get Jok out of there and sub in Baer for defense. Fran did that the other night with a couple minutes left if I remember right. I know I was disappointed he didn't sub in/out Jok for offense/defense late in the game vs. ISU.

^^^^^

Not sure if the above is just wierd or comical?

So my comparison was based on Ryan Bowen's hustle and scrappiness so can we say you do agree?? Or is it that you don't agree?? 2 white guys that hustle is a bad comparison? Or was it a good one because they both hustle? :) hummm..

What if he was Black and I compared him to another Black guy would that have been wrong to do?? Or have I missed the point? Because yes I would have probably compared him to somebody else? :)

Seriously wow!! What did I just read. :)

I have to agree with this.

I'm with you in regards to Baer and Uthoff being on the floor together. I think Mike benefits the most from the lineup allowing so much spacing and driving lanes.

I'm not sure if they tried this line up the other night or if it was just Woody on the floor with Uthoff and Baer but if we put Uhl at the 5 spot, there would be even more spacing.

Mike
Jok
Uthoff
Baer
Uhl

I'm with you in regards to Baer and Uthoff being on the floor together. I think Mike benefits the most from the lineup allowing so much spacing and driving lanes.

I'm not sure if they tried this line up the other night or if it was just Woody on the floor with Uthoff and Baer but if we put Uhl at the 5 spot, there would be even more spacing.

Mike
Jok
Uthoff
Baer
Uhl

With how big Purdue is, I could see us having more lineups like this Saturday, probably with Woody in the middle. Key for the Purdue game might be Woody staying out of foul trouble so he can bang with Purdue's two 7 fters.

Mike
Jok
Uthoff
Baer
Uhl

The only problem with this lineup is that you lose out on Clemmons and his lock down defensive skills on opposing guards. Not that Gesell is not capable. I think Baer is perfect right now for the 1st or 2nd man of the bench.

Baer is playing great. I don't care whether or not he gets any better over the next three+ years, if he continues to play at this level he deserves a scholly.

Having said that, I believe he will get better. His basketball iq and his hustle make him invaluable to this team. He knows his limitations but isn't afraid to push them at the right time.

GO HAWKS!!!

I think it depends on matchups and who is on the floor for the opponent some too. Clemmons did a fantastic job the other night on defense, one of his best games as a Hawk. I think the biggest thing for me is when we have a lead late in the game we need to get Jok out of there and sub in Baer for defense. Fran did that the other night with a couple minutes left if I remember right. I know I was disappointed he didn't sub in/out Jok for offense/defense late in the game vs. ISU.

Should have been doing an offense/defense late, like you say. Jok for offense and FT shooting, Baer for D.