Badger's And Brust

koolhandlick

It looks as if the Badgers are not going to leave any stones unturned in their attempt to get Ben Brust. The school may petition the the Big Ten for a waiver that would allow Brust to sign with Wisconsin. They are also looking into giving him a partial academic scholarship if the waiver is rejected. In other Badger news 2011 verbal commit Devon Hodges has de-committed and has re-opened his recruitment. The 6'7 220-pound forward is from Bolingbrook high school in Illinois.

If you're implying Fran should go after Hodges, then you must have forgot about the Big Ten rule already. This would be the EXACT same thing Brust is going through currently. Would be nice recruit though. I forgot about Brust.

Last edited:
If you're implying Fran should go after Hodges, then you must have forgot about the Big Ten rule already. This would be the EXACT same thing Brust is going through currently. Would be nice recruit though. I forgot about Brust.

Not to split hairs here, but it isn't the "exact" same thing since there is no coaching change going on at Wisky. That being said, however, I wonder if it were the exact same situation if Wisconsin feels the same way about filing appeals and trying to find loopholes? A rule is a rule, it was created to protect all the conference schools and the athletes (both current and recruits).

He hasn't signed anything so it is not the same scenario. Anyone can de-committ and go anywhere if they haven't singed a LOI.

It looks as if the Badgers are not going to leave any stones unturned in their attempt to get Ben Brust. The school may petition the the Big Ten for a waiver that would allow Brust to sign with Wisconsin. They are also looking into giving him a partial academic scholarship if the waiver is rejected. In other Badger news 2011 verbal commit Devon Hodges has de-committed and has re-opened his recruitment. The 6'7 220-pound forward is from Bolingbrook high school in Illinois.

Well that doesn't appear to be a positive for Iowa

Ihope they don't overturn this just to set a precedent, so that any kid that changes his mind in March can just go elsewhere in conference!

That story just has a link to the Madison paper's story (the same one in another thread).
Where does it say he really wants to play at Wisconsin?

I'm not saying he won't go to play for Bo, but that's not what the article says.

I don't need Ben Brust making any comments about his intentions. Wisconsin Officials are clearly making an effort to get Ben Brust and that isn't one-sided.

These aren't really rules anymore. In actuality they are weak suggestions representing more of a bureaucratic hurdle than anything else. The NCAA needs to get out ahead of this whole LOI with the coach or school issue.

Maybe there can be an agreement made between WI and IA. WI gets Brusts but agrees to never recruit a Lin-Mar player again.

I highly doubt they win the appeal. The madison.com article tries to say there is precedent with Alex Legion, but he transfered to Kentucky after signing with Michigan and then went to Illinois. Not the same situation.

I would like Brust to come to Iowa, but if not, no way do I want us to have to play against him twice a year for 4 years.

hodges de-commit is interesting...wonder if Wisky pushed him to de-commit?
He committed very early,and maybe he has not progressed as Bo hoped?

If Brust is making this much effort to get into Wisconsin, why in the world would we want to take him back? It's obvious Wisconsin is his first choice now and Iowa is somewhere behind them. Do we want guys on this team who would rather be somewhere else?

I'd prefer someone who wants to be at Iowa because it's their first choice and they feel its the best option for them. Brust obviously feels Wisconsin and he are best suited for each other.

I'm starting to believe Brust de-committing is a good thing afterall. There's way too much drama with this kid and his bouncing around from team to team. Sheesh.

Who needs 4 more years of booing a Wisconsin player in Carver?

Yeesh, Ben. You knew, or should have known, the rules. Come be a Hawkeye, or pay your own way to Wisky, or find another conference. Pretty simple. Nobody is being "screwed" or treated poorly here.

Latest posts