Bad news for CJ- Garoppolo to 49ers

Maybe the 49ers are attempting to wrench the overall first round pick from Cleveland to get that QB from USC? Will the QB from USC want to go to SF?

Last edited:
Probably puts CJ is the backup role again for the rest of the year. But doesn't mean his career is SF is over. It's not like previous Patriot QBs (Hoyer, Mallett, Cassell, etc.) have succeeded after they leave New England. So he could be #1 again later this year or with a year to study, may be able to beat out Garappolo in 2018.
Yeah his contract is a 4 yr deal I believe and it's for less then a 1 million a year so there's no reason for the 49ers to dump him. To grade him on what little he's had a chance to do with no Oline to speak of wouldn't be fair. He'll for sure start the next few weeks as Jimmy can't learn the playbook in that short period of time. If CJ were to put a nice run together here it'd be interesting to see how they'd go the rest of this year. There's no doubt at this point tanking and getting a high draft pick to either use on Saquan Barkley or trading away for a kings ransom would be in their best interest. I think regardless of how this year plays out CJ will be on roster next yr as their backup.

Now you are just trolling.
Have you watched him play? He doesn't have a cannon by NFL standards at all. It's below avg at best. That's just a fact. His arm is good enough for the NFL if he's accurate and throws it on time. However Stanleys arm is way stronger. That throw he made to Easley where he rifled it into his chest just outside the MN defenders arm was a bullet. No way CJ could make that throw like that. He can't put that much on it.

Sorry, but he's right. Beathard doesn't have a big arm by NFL standards.
Is it as big as, lets say, Brady's? Or Ryan Leaf's arm, the second pick in the same draft that picked Peyton Manning number one? Leaf had a 'monster' big arm but still washed out in the NFL. Is Beathard's arm as big as either Manning's?

Last edited:
On a side note: one of the reasons why former backups to Tom Brady and the Pats don't make it elsewhere in the NFL is because the Patriots don't rely on arm strength to complete passes. The Pats have their QBs use their brains. Throw the receiver open. Throw to the open receiver in the coverage ((just like GD had Iowa QBs and receivers do) (you know I was going to use this analogy) (my own version of trolling)).

It isn't going to be because of Brady's arm if he continues with the Pats in the NFL, it's going to be because of a lack of senility..

Last edited:
CJ can throw it +70 yards and that's plenty strong. The TD from CJ to Smith against MSU was about 60 yards but I've seen him throw it further.

Now you are just trolling.

Garappolo is darned good. Quick release. Strong arm. Pats apparently think Brady will be around a few more years. Steve Young thought the same thing.

This is a guy diamond in the rough that KF missed. Would have been a great story. Heard Dino Babers talk about him.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...tern-illinois-tom-brady-deflategate/31865181/

Garappolo's story has a Warner feel to it.

CJ just isn't that good to have much of a career.

CJ can throw it +70 yards and that's plenty strong. The TD from CJ to Smith against MSU was about 60 yards but I've seen him throw it further.
It's not about distance though although that can be a part of it. It's also about how fast can you throw the 15 yard out from the opposite hash. It's not the end all be all of what QBs are asked to do by any means but to make up for that he has to be decisive with his decisions throw it on time and accurate.

It's not about distance though although that can be a part of it. It's also about how fast can you throw the 15 yard out from the opposite hash. It's not the end all be all of what QBs are asked to do by any means but to make up for that he has to be decisive with his decisions throw it on time and accurate.
And it's going to take more than just a couple of weeks of practice with the ones to get that timing down. I don't know what some of you on this board expects. I don't know what some of San Fran's management expects. I do, however, know what the fan base in San Fran expects and it's similar to Cleveland's fan base...a miracle renovation of the team from thin air, I expect.

Yeah. A very bad situation for CJ. A career killer.

Last edited:
I’d say good news for C.J.

He got killed last year with an offensive line that gave free passes. The SF OL is just as bad but the guys on the other side are bigger, faster, stronger, and playing for money. (Or more money)

And it's going to take more than just a couple of weeks of practice with the ones to get that timing down. I don't know what some of you on this board expects. I don't know what some of San Fran's management expects. I do, however, know what the fan base in San Fran expects and it's similar to Cleveland's fan base...a miracle renovation of the team from thin air, I expect.

Yeah. A very bad situation for CJ. A career killer.
There's nothing worse then being on a team with a terrible Oline with as you said very little practice time with the ones. He was 3rd string most of preseason right? The guy has probably had but a handful of practices with the first team at this point. It's not like his receivers have done him a ton of favors either they've dropped more then their fair share of balls too. It's just the perfect storm of things to make evaluating a QB any QB impossible to do frankly. I don't see the Oline improving at all between whenever they hand the job to Jimmy G be it 3 or 4 wks down the road so he'll have some pressure on him to perform. More so then CJ just due to having been traded for like that and the amount of $ he'll be offered in an extention at some point. CJ is stuck for 3 more yrs on his rookie deal making less then a 1 mill per so he is where he is for now be it playing or not.

There's nothing worse then being on a team with a terrible Oline with as you said very little practice time with the ones. He was 3rd string most of preseason right? The guy has probably had but a handful of practices with the first team at this point. It's not like his receivers have done him a ton of favors either they've dropped more then their fair share of balls too. It's just the perfect storm of things to make evaluating a QB any QB impossible to do frankly. I don't see the Oline improving at all between whenever they hand the job to Jimmy G be it 3 or 4 wks down the road so he'll have some pressure on him to perform. More so then CJ just due to having been traded for like that and the amount of $ he'll be offered in an extention at some point. CJ is stuck for 3 more yrs on his rookie deal making less then a 1 mill per so he is where he is for now be it playing or not.
Should CJ pray to be cut from the niners?

Should CJ pray to be cut from the niners?
Honestly no. I think he can learn a ton from Shanahan. I think if he can be there the duration of his 4 yr deal it'd be better for him to stay and backup Jimmy. Inevitably Jimmy will get nicked up or worse and miss some time here and there and the team will get better in time around them. Plus Shanahan and Lynch drafted him because they do like him. Maybe not as much as Jimmy G obviously but they do really like him. How many other teams GMs do? I don't think anyone else out there would give him as fair a shot as they would if not only due to that relationship that's already there.

Maybe the 49ers are attempting to wrench the overall first round pick from Cleveland to get that QB from USC? Will the QB from USC want to go to SF?

Yeah.....

over-5.5.-million.jpg

:cool:

They just cut a better quarterback from USC, Matt Barkley. He was going to be the next Joe Montana but then I think CJ's grandpa pulled some strings with his old nfl buddies from the Redskins days and got CJ his place on the team.

2-time Superbowl Champion!!

But, come on, he's 2-0 for his pro career. As JRD said, several previous Pats backups have flopped as starters.

"Like Aaron Rodgers" is tbd, I'd say.

We were talking about Garoppolo. Said he was the real deal. Your comment above. He's 3-0 with a really bad team.

Nothing wrong with being the backup,still get a paycheck.Terry Hanratty did it for years behind Bradshaw.He said he had the best job of all,carry a clipboard and don't get hurt.