Bad news for CJ- Garoppolo to 49ers

Could be. CJ is a competitor and most people thought he would never get drafted or make a team or throw a pass.

CJ can learn for awhile as 2nd team then maybe sign or get traded somewhere.

Grabapillow is a free agent after this year, so CJ may have to be out the #1 overall draft pick...or Kirk Cousins...or Garofalo.

We'll see. Jimmy isn't going to start this week or even the next couple most likely. So CJs audition will continue. It just sucks he's got no offensive line at all. They need to be upgrading that way more so then the QB position but never the less if your the 49ers they were always going to be in the market for a QB be it now or in off season. Question is will Jimmy G resign there since he'll be a FA. This wasn't a sign and trade type of deal at all. CJ can hopefully bide his time keep learning. I don't think this season will be his last shot by any means at playing time.

Yeah, but my perspective was that CJ was just lucky that Matt Barkley injured his shoulder a couple years ago and didn't have the same zip on his throws in training camp.

A lot to ask of CJ as a rookie to do anything with this crap sandwich that has become the 49ers. There's a litany of rookie QBs starting on crappy teams who have gotten pounded and basically ended their careers. He's better off not being the starter and having to bear the responsibility for what happens. His career was probably extended by this move.

CJ threw a pick-6 Sunday that looked a lot like the one from the Rose Bowl.

Pats now have a 40-yr-old starter and zero backups / successors.

Traded for a 2nd rounder next year.
Probably the same SF fans who demanded Hoyer benched for CJ are now demanding CJ be benched. The front office is attempting to sidestep the heat and blame for this crappy team with the signing of Garoppolo. I doubt the fans of SF are willing to allow CJ to grow and learn as QB...just as the fans of Cleveland haven't been able to allow Kizer to grow and learn as QB. Would those fans have the patience of, for example, Philadelphia or the Rams? I doubt it.

Can the HC, Shanahan, go back on his word and reinsert Hoyer as starter? Does Hoyer want to be starter, again? Does Shanahan want Hoyer back as starter or have 'bad' words been exchanged? Is the Beathard family involved in getting CJ out of his terrible situation as starter of this team?

Last edited:
CJ's doing just fine, considering he's barely two years removed from having to threaten to leave in order to get his shot as the starting Iowa QB. $3.1 million assuages a lot of pain.

CJ threw a pick-6 Sunday that looked a lot like the one from the Rose Bowl.

Pats now have a 40-yr-old starter and zero backups / successors.
There's a 90% chance Hoyer who the 9ers just cut ends up there. He would have been a part of the trade but because of his contract the Pats weren't wanting to pay him that. So now that he's cut they'll bring him on for whatever the vet league minimum is most likely. He's been there before with McDaniels it just makes too much sense not to. Or they could go outside the box and sign Kaepernick..... (NOT)

Probably the same SF fans who demanded Hoyer benched for CJ are now demanding CJ be benched. The front office is attempting to sidestep the heat and blame for this crappy team with the signing of Garoppolo. I doubt the fans of SF are willing to allow CJ to grow and learn as QB...just as the fans of Cleveland haven't been able to allow Kizer to grow and learn as QB. Would those fans have the patience of, for example, Philadelphia or the Rams? I doubt it.

Can the HC, Shanahan, go back on his word and reinsert Hoyer as starter? Does Hoyer want to be starter, again? Does Shanahan want Hoyer back as starter or have 'bad' words been exchanged? Is the Beathard family involved in getting CJ out of his terrible situation as starter of this team?
The 49ers have the worst Oline in football... They could have traded for Tom Brady himself and I don't think things would change all that much. A young new QB trying to play behind a terrible Oline is just a disaster waiting to happen. Worst example of that is David Carr when Houston took him. That dude didn't have a chance which was too bad because physically he could have been a heck of a player.

There's a 90% chance Hoyer who the 9ers just cut ends up there. He would have been a part of the trade but because of his contract the Pats weren't wanting to pay him that. So now that he's cut they'll bring him on for whatever the vet league minimum is most likely. He's been there before with McDaniels it just makes too much sense not to. Or they could go outside the box and sign Kaepernick..... (NOT)
Ah...I think the fans and front office of SF want some stability to the team, so no to Kaepernick.

Again, I wonder if there is some 'bad blood' between the Shanahan coaching staff of the 49ers and Hoyer? If this is so, those strained relations could be apparent if Hoyer isn't resigned by SF...even at bargain basement prices. Then again, Hoyer's agent may be shopping him around as a, at least, credible backup QB with a higher signing price tag.

Last edited:
Probably puts CJ is the backup role again for the rest of the year. But doesn't mean his career is SF is over. It's not like previous Patriot QBs (Hoyer, Mallett, Cassell, etc.) have succeeded after they leave New England. So he could be #1 again later this year or with a year to study, may be able to beat out Garappolo in 2018.

I'll never know why they drafted CJ so high or even at all. If it weren't for that, I would say CJ was just expendable fodder for a team going nowhere. Little about the Niners makes sense in the past several years. His career is done or at least at best a 3rd stringer. I hope he gets through this without terrible damage.

Garoppolo is the real deal. He would be like Aaron Rodgers like.... except going to the Niners? They have so many problems beyond QB. They would maybe have 2-3 wins with a good QB though.

CJ is not NFL material. He doesn't have the arm. He is marvelous at misdirection and seeing what is in front of him. Behind him....not so much.

One of my favorite Hawkeye's ever.

CJ is tough as nails but he's not cut out for the NFL. You either have to be able to throw like Brady/Manning/Rodgers or be athletic, one of the two. He doesn't do either of those things but he will be a serviceable backup for a few years and go get a job in the music business with pops. And more power to him, he did good stuff here.

Garoppolo is the real deal. He would be like Aaron Rodgers like....
2-time Superbowl Champion!!

But, come on, he's 2-0 for his pro career. As JRD said, several previous Pats backups have flopped as starters.

"Like Aaron Rodgers" is tbd, I'd say.

...Garoppolo is the real deal. He would be like Aaron Rodgers like.... except going to the Niners? They have so many problems beyond QB. They would maybe have 2-3 wins with a good QB though.

CJ is not NFL material. He doesn't have the arm. He is marvelous at misdirection and seeing what is in front of him. Behind him....not so much.

One of my favorite Hawkeye's ever.
Now you are just trolling.

Latest posts