Bad game day coaching aside....

Melrose - So recruiting 4 stars in 2005 didn't work out....big deal. Ask Alabama how recruiting 4 stars works out. You keep landing them year after year and you will eventually find yourself in a National Championship hunt. Of course, you do have to have a coach who doesn't attempt to play every game close no matter the opponent.

you can recycle 4 star recruits when you sign 5 recruiting classes in 4 years.....

and you are really comparing alabama to iowa? come on man.

Lets keep getting the 3*s then. But lets go to Texs and Florida and recruit some speed. And then play it. I bet there are a lot of really fast guys getting recruited by Rice and FIU that would jump at the chance to play at a University with a chance (dont laugh) at winning a national championship. And if we did that, we need to utilize talent. Maybe they arent great citizens that have above average leadership skills. But who cares? Play the talented players. This season is a prime example of this.

Drummer - I'll error on the side of 4 and 5 stars every day of the week....if you get a few knuckleheads that can't walk the straight and narrow, toss em' out on their butts. There is ZERO margin for error having to overachieve with 2 and 3 stars all 12 weeks of a season...that is the facts as they are.

In the last five or six years, programs across the country started building/opening/luring top recruits with state of the art football facilities. Fancy locker rooms, high tech film rooms, wow type meeting rooms, high tech weight rooms, etc. I think the U of Iowa
failed to anticipate the importance of these things to todays recruit. Sally & the administrators were busy spending the BTN booty on other projects and allowed the football program to fall behind what other schools were offering. Last week, the Hawks moved into their new state of the art facility. The Hawks are now back on level ground and have a stadium, practice field and football complex to wow recruits when they visit. Hopefully, combined with the new coaching staff changes, we'll see Iowa land a few more highly coveted recruits. Most years it seems, Iowa has only been one great receiver & a speedy running back away from matching up well with most teams.

We had Melvin Gordon committed, but he reneged and went to his home state school...and is probably one of the two best rbs in the country....he would have made a huge diff at Iowa, and we had him...but lost him. Still, that shows me that we do recruit decently. We do not cheat, tho, and that hampers any efforts to get the SEC footprint recruits. Big Ten gets 50% of their recruits from outside the Big Ten footprint, while the SEC only needs to get 13 % from outside their footprint. Iowa probably gets almost 75% from outside the state.

Iowa, the state, has a poor reputation outside of Iowa....generally, even in the Big Ten, the word is that it is a boring state. Cannot help recruiting.

Up until last year, Iowa had just as many NFL players as Bama....even with all their 5 stars....how can that be? Development...college football is a development sport. Sorry, but in the end, we are never going to satisfy your desire for SEC type recruiting classes....those recruits live in SEC country. If they lived in Iowa, Iowa would dominate and get those commits.

We had Melvin Gordon committed, but he reneged and went to his home state school...and is probably one of the two best rbs in the country....he would have made a huge diff at Iowa, and we had him...but lost him. Still, that shows me that we do recruit decently. We do not cheat, tho, and that hampers any efforts to get the SEC footprint recruits. Big Ten gets 50% of their recruits from outside the Big Ten footprint, while the SEC only needs to get 13 % from outside their footprint. Iowa probably gets almost 75% from outside the state.

Iowa, the state, has a poor reputation outside of Iowa....generally, even in the Big Ten, the word is that it is a boring state. Cannot help recruiting.

Up until last year, Iowa had just as many NFL players as Bama....even with all their 5 stars....how can that be? Development...college football is a development sport. Sorry, but in the end, we are never going to satisfy your desire for SEC type recruiting classes....those recruits live in SEC country. If they lived in Iowa, Iowa would dominate and get those commits.

Bama will have many more nfl players, especially high level ones going forward, than Iowa.

Why doesn't Iowa football get talented recruits? Because Iowa doesn't use talent. Talent that happens to sneak onto Iowa roster sits firmly on the bench. Gordon, if he had come to Iowa, would be sitting on the bench because Ferentz loves the big bruising RB that makes their own holes and aren't especially fast. And well, we know what kind of QB KF prefers. Iowa's football program 'dumbs down' every athlete into a 2-3 star system. Let me be clear: I don't mean Iowa never gets the high star athlete, I mean the athleticism of Iowa's athletes are dumbed down into a 2-3 star system. Those athletes who wish to improve on their athleticism had better commit to other programs.

KF says his program isn't sexy and that's why he can't get the athletes. What I've mentioned in the previous paragraph means the same.

Last edited:
A fact of life is that Iowa is never going to pull down top recruiting classes. KF's problem is managing an offense, not recruiting. Obviously it would be wonderful to get 5*s at will. Kentucky is a historically bad program, but they are still playing in the SEC...that means playing Alabama and florida instead of Illinois and purdon't

Why doesn't Iowa football get talented recruits? Because Iowa doesn't use talent. Talent that happens to sneak onto Iowa roster sits firmly on the bench. Gordon, if he had come to Iowa, would be sitting on the bench because Ferentz loves the big bruising RB that makes their own holes and aren't especially fast. And well, we know what kind of QB KF prefers. Iowa's football program 'dumbs down' every athlete into a 2-3 star system. Let me be clear: I don't mean Iowa never gets the high star athlete, I mean the athleticism of Iowa's athletes are dumbed down into a 2-3 star system. Those athletes who wish to improve on their athleticism had better commit to other programs.

KF says his program isn't sexy and that's why he can't get the athletes. What I've mentioned in the previous paragraph means the same.

I guess that explains why Freddie Russel got the nod over that one guy. And why Drew Tate got the start as a sophmore, it also explains why Matt Roth started early in his career...clayborne played as a sophmore....why Dallas Clark was pulled from the LB role, Bob Sanders played as a freshman.

Fred Russell and Drew Tate are exceptions to Iowa's scheme. And Dallas Clark had the speed to be a WR. The one place Iowa has traditionally loaded up on athleticism is defense (in itself, a conservative scheme). Sanders was turned into a head hunter. Matt Roth was a linebacker/wrestler with a motor that ran constantly and was turned into a rush end.

Russell and Tate were exceptions. The rest reinforces my theory.

Last edited:
Uhh, the 2005 class took us to our only BCS game victory in the last 30 years, did it not? LOL!! Serious fail, Melrose.
:confused::confused:

Actually no, only 1 or 2 players from the 2005 freshman class ended up making it to the 2009 team (Pat Angerer and Moeaki both redshirted). I think the point is though that most of the long list of 4 star players from that class didn't pan out.

Excellent post Homer....you are exactly right. We would probably have a new coach right now had Iowa not had 15 RB's go down in 2009 and KF mistakenly stumbled onto Shonn Greene....that dumb luck bought Iowa fans an extra 10 years of torture.

What's this about Iowa being a boting state. There used to be a Pizza Hut in my town.

On another post I suggested playing Weisman as fullback with someone else with speed at RB. I told by board regulars that he was the best running back we had, and that's why he was the RB.
A walk on fullback is the best RB we have? And we don't have a recruiting problem?
Piersbacher?
We have a recruiting problem.

Excellent post Homer....you are exactly right. We would probably have a new coach right now had Iowa not had 15 RB's go down in 2009 and KF mistakenly stumbled onto Shonn Greene....that dumb luck bought Iowa fans an extra 10 years of torture.
The other option, Haymaker, instead of trying to change everything you despise about Iowa football, is for you to change and to choose another team to "support". Kentucky, perhaps? G'bye.

This is full of non-factual info. Greene played at Iowa in 2008 and then left for the NFL. KF got his extension after winning the 2010 Orange Bowl. We have lost rbs over the years...like in 2004, when Drew Tate led Iowa to a Big Ten title.

And, anyone that compliments Homer on a post is already addled.

Other than that...great post!

Latest posts