Bad draw

Anyone see that former Rutgers big man Eugene Omoruyi now plays for Oregon?

He caused us some trouble when he played for Rutgers.

And speaking of bad draws Illinois sure got one. Their reward for their best season since 2005 is a potential second round game with Loyola, an in state rival who Illinois wouldn't dream of otherwise scheduling and who is one of the best defensive teams in the country.

The Ramblers would be jacked up for that one....big time.

That have a Large Dude in the Middle who will not back down from the cock

I am more concerned about playing Kansas

They can play very well

I watched them destroy Baylor

Granted, Baylor hadn't played for a few weeks, covid and all that

But it was an impressive win

This is all assuming that we advance to that round

We certainly should and WILL

Yahoo article I just read on who got good and bad draws. For Iowa...

"they got what every No. 2 seed candidate was hoping to avoid: Being stuck in Gonzaga's bracket. Having a potential Sweet 16 game against USC isn't ideal either, because Trojans freshman phenom Evan Mobley could be a tough matchup for Iowa star big man Luka Garza. Iowa is very good, especially on the offensive end, and it can make a run. But its draw did Hawkeyes no favors."

USC I agree they are dangerous. For Gonzaga we are better off having played them so it is not the same as others drawing them. We have the edge on the rematch since if we play the recent "D", Keegan and Patrick play more like they have been we can get a run or jump on them by being the team that has changed. Fran and staff better at seeing something and making adjustments as well. So, they state it as if Iowa hasn't seen Gonzaga but it should help us being the second time round. The D keeps Suggs in check this time and a now better sub line up gives them trouble and we can Jump out and play from ahead for a while and we have a better shot than some other teams and than we did in the first game.

I hate being that guy, but I'm tired of hearing the maybe someone will knock off Gonzaga before we see them. Someone has to do it at some point if Gonzaga doesn't end up cutting the nets down, yet were hoping lower seeded teams can do it for us. At some point a #2 seed is going to play the #1, If at the end of the tourney someone other than us or Gonzaga hoist the trophy, I'd just assume be able to say we gave them that first loss.

All along I had the gut feeling we were going to be in a bracket with either Gonzaga or Baylor, and initially I was worried more about Baylor than Gonzaga. Well, maybe Baylor has turned out to be a bit more vulnerable lately, but I still think the lack of serious competition could be Gonzaga's weakness. Color me optimistic............but then again, my brackets usually turn into dumpster fires by the end of the first round..............

I am more concerned about playing Kansas

They can play very well

I watched them destroy Baylor

Granted, Baylor hadn't played for a few weeks, covid and all that

But it was an impressive win

This is all assuming that we advance to that round

We certainly should and WILL
One thing to think about is when Michigan went on their covid pause it was precautionary. No one had it. When Baylor went on their pause, they got sick. A lit tougher to come back from that.

I hate being that guy, but I'm tired of hearing the maybe someone will knock off Gonzaga before we see them. Someone has to do it at some point if Gonzaga doesn't end up cutting the nets down, yet were hoping lower seeded teams can do it for us. At some point a #2 seed is going to play the #1, If at the end of the tourney someone other than us or Gonzaga hoist the trophy, I'd just assume be able to say we gave them that first loss.
Thats because most fans care more about winning than a dick measuring contest. If Gonzaga goes down before us it raises our chances of advancing to the next round by a lot.

No such words should be uttered of a Bad Draw When you get a #2 seed to the NCAA Tourny either your good enough or not and it's put up or shutup time. Iowa has played all #1 seeds but Baylor and we are 0-4. That said I firmly believe that Iowa can beat any of them on the right night.

Yep. They sent me a nice, shiny, certificate and everything. It only cost me $20,000.

And the memories

Are priceless

gifs - funny, animated gifs for your viewing pleasure | Animals, Animal gifs,  Beautiful nature

No such words should be uttered of a Bad Draw When you get a #2 seed to the NCAA Tourny either your good enough or not and it's put up or shutup time. Iowa has played all #1 seeds but Baylor and we are 0-4. That said I firmly believe that Iowa can beat any of them on the right night.
Agree. As a 4 or 5 I hope for help. As a 2 I expect to beat whoever stands in our way because we’re better than they are.

I agree in the sense that a champion will find a way regardless. But, to say who you play and when is not a factor, would be foolish at best.

Maybe I should have said Tough Draw instead of Bad Draw.

0-4 and 1-5 vs. top ten KP. This article on the various teams titles chances put it like this...

TIER 3: The Fringe Contenders
7. Iowa (+1600 | W2; vs. Grand Canyon)

"When Iowa’s offense is rolling, it is basketball’s version of Beethoven. Melodic, forceful, and everything in between. Luka Garza, the Wooden Award favorite, is an absolute menace inside. An array of prolific shooters give him space to work. They also take care of the ball exceptionally well.

But Iowa lacks individual shot-creators. When systemic shot-creation slows – often when it’s disrupted by an elite defense – the Hawkeyes can look ordinary. They went 1-5 against the KenPom top 10. In those six games, they scored just 1.03 points per possession, only a tick above the Division I average, and well below their top-five season-long mark of 1.17.

All of which is to say that Iowa, though not particularly susceptible to inferior foes, isn’t a true title contender."

Truth there with the Ohio State win the lone victory. Obvious what will happen when we play better teams so the "D" has to show up on our end. Keep the TO down and keep moving w/o the ball and not stand around which they sometimes do. Less room for error. CJ is actually that guy who can create his own shot at times and looks like Keegan will be but not expecting that in this tournament esp. against better teams. JW needs to be more of that against big opponents but he tends to shy away since he doesn't have that good a handle so more gets open w/o the ball for shots. If the floor is spread with teams guarding the 3 JW can attack a more open lane but it does tend to flow from the team shooting and not him creating on his own.

0-4 and 1-5 vs. top ten KP. This article on the various teams titles chances put it like this...

TIER 3: The Fringe Contenders
7. Iowa (+1600 | W2; vs. Grand Canyon)

"When Iowa’s offense is rolling, it is basketball’s version of Beethoven. Melodic, forceful, and everything in between. Luka Garza, the Wooden Award favorite, is an absolute menace inside. An array of prolific shooters give him space to work. They also take care of the ball exceptionally well.

But Iowa lacks individual shot-creators. When systemic shot-creation slows – often when it’s disrupted by an elite defense – the Hawkeyes can look ordinary. They went 1-5 against the KenPom top 10. In those six games, they scored just 1.03 points per possession, only a tick above the Division I average, and well below their top-five season-long mark of 1.17.

All of which is to say that Iowa, though not particularly susceptible to inferior foes, isn’t a true title contender."

Truth there with the Ohio State win the lone victory. Obvious what will happen when we play better teams so the "D" has to show up on our end. Keep the TO down and keep moving w/o the ball and not stand around which they sometimes do. Less room for error. CJ is actually that guy who can create his own shot at times and looks like Keegan will be but not expecting that in this tournament esp. against better teams. JW needs to be more of that against big opponents but he tends to shy away since he doesn't have that good a handle so more gets open w/o the ball for shots. If the floor is spread with teams guarding the 3 JW can attack a more open lane but it does tend to flow from the team shooting and not him creating on his own.
Can't really argue with that. All the more reason to root for someone else to get lucky and take out the 3 elite teams before we have to play them. I can easily invision having to beat Gonzaga to get to the final 4 then Alabama to get to the Championship. In that scenario we would need to win a 30% game and probably a 55-60% game. Then what are the odds we line up against Baylor or Illinois? I'd say there is at least a 75% chance it will be one of them. If so, we have another 30% chance or so. If we get lucky and they are both out, we have at least a 50/50 shot.

Can't really argue with that. All the more reason to root for someone else to get lucky and take out the 3 elite teams before we have to play them. I can easily invision having to beat Gonzaga to get to the final 4 then Alabama to get to the Championship. In that scenario we would need to win a 30% game and probably a 55-60% game. Then what are the odds we line up against Baylor or Illinois? I'd say there is at least a 75% chance it will be one of them. If so, we have another 30% chance or so. If we get lucky and they are both out, we have at least a 50/50 shot.

...and you are always right 50% of the time, so there's that.

Yahoo article I just read on who got good and bad draws. For Iowa...

"they got what every No. 2 seed candidate was hoping to avoid: Being stuck in Gonzaga's bracket. Having a potential Sweet 16 game against USC isn't ideal either, because Trojans freshman phenom Evan Mobley could be a tough matchup for Iowa star big man Luka Garza. Iowa is very good, especially on the offensive end, and it can make a run. But its draw did Hawkeyes no favors."

USC I agree they are dangerous. For Gonzaga we are better off having played them so it is not the same as others drawing them. We have the edge on the rematch since if we play the recent "D", Keegan and Patrick play more like they have been we can get a run or jump on them by being the team that has changed. Fran and staff better at seeing something and making adjustments as well. So, they state it as if Iowa hasn't seen Gonzaga but it should help us being the second time round. The D keeps Suggs in check this time and a now better sub line up gives them trouble and we can Jump out and play from ahead for a while and we have a better shot than some other teams and than we did in the first game.
Agree Gonzaga is a very good team but benefits from having only 1 or 2 tough games through the entire conference season for them...it's a joke really. Having said that we have not given Gonzaga much of a struggle in the Fran era but you look at that game in SD. Missed a ton of FTs and played no D. I think we will be better prepared for them IF we can get there. Altman and the Ducks are tough in tournament time I hope we get that matchup again! That would be a great 2nd round match

Latest posts