Backups

No game minutes. Why? We had the lead and the starters on both sides played till the end. Why not reward the backups w some shine for the work they put in all year? Only grip
I’m actually in favor of the starters playing the whole game. They’re the ones who had gotten Iowa to where it was in the season at that point, and I think it’s be a slap in the face of sorts to pull them out, especially the guys who are seniors or leaving early.

And just as big a reason (for me) is that with six or seven minutes left in the game it’s pretty easy for your 2nd and 3rd strings to give up a couple scores and now the game doesn’t look as dominant as it was.

I guess that’s just me, the guys who earned the spots and did all the work in games throughout the year should get the snaps.

This ain’t 8th grade where everyone plays. The backups will get their chance to play next year.
They can also get real game experience and build on that going into next year.

@5 mins left the game is over, pull the starters to prevent injury and get the other guys who have worked and prepped all year some game time and celebrate as a team. Also late injury when game over are always the worst. Agree to disagree on this one.

No game minutes. Why? We had the lead and the starters on both sides played till the end. Why not reward the backups w some shine for the work they put in all year? Only grip

I agree if you have the right opportunity of score, time of game, and field position. A 18 point lead with about 5 minutes to go should be good enough for the coach to put in an entirely 2nd string offensive line, Young at running back, Petras or whoever at 2nd string qb, and the backup wide outs and Weiting a sr TE if he is healthy. Run the ball three times wit two hands on the ball if necessary and punt if necessary. You take the game clock down to 3 minutes.

Now the Pick 6 by Neimann also put a monkey wrench into any of these plans for the offense as the hawks had to kick off again to USC with about 1:45 but that is a time to put in backup defensive players in with a 25 point lead with less than two minutes.

But overall KF is late or never to put in backups, he doesnt have these situations very often, and a few years ago he had to put his defensive starters back in at Purdue after they gave up 2 quick bombs

I actually thought the same thing. Especially since you can play in 4 games and still keep redshirt. A lot of players could of played and kept shirt. Give them the thrill of playing in a good bowl game, vs a legendary opponent

I’m actually in favor of the starters playing the whole game. They’re the ones who had gotten Iowa to where it was in the season at that point, and I think it’s be a slap in the face of sorts to pull them out, especially the guys who are seniors or leaving early.

And just as big a reason (for me) is that with six or seven minutes left in the game it’s pretty easy for your 2nd and 3rd strings to give up a couple scores and now the game doesn’t look as dominant as it was.

I guess that’s just me, the guys who earned the spots and did all the work in games throughout the year should get the snaps.
Clemson gets backups in early and in legit situations. Alabama, LSU same thing. So when a starter goes down the backup is ready. But what do they know...

Which makes it even smarter to get your backups in when up by 20 with 10 mins left so they get experience and you know what they can do.
Or so you can give up two scores in what should be garbage time.

If Ferentz and Parker don’t “know what they can do” by the time December rolls around there are more problems than deciding what players to put in the game.

Or so you can give up two scores in what should be garbage time.

If Ferentz and Parker don’t “know what they can do” by the time December rolls around there are more problems than deciding what players to put in the game.
What do those scores in garbage mean? Not covering the spread? Big deal. Nothing beats facing a different team to get experience.

What do those scores in garbage mean? Not covering the spread? Big deal. Nothing beats facing a different team to get experience.
Iowa backups get plenty of playing time at the end of regular season games. Do you watch Hawkeye football? Jesus.

We’re talking about a bowl game at the end of the year.

Iowa backups get plenty of playing time at the end of regular season games. Do you watch Hawkeye football? Jesus.

We’re talking about a bowl game at the end of the year.
Watched every game actually. Not sure what that has to do with anything. Happy New Year.

Clemson gets backups in early and in legit situations. Alabama, LSU same thing. So when a starter goes down the backup is ready. But what do they know...
Clemson.
Alabama.
LSU.

Did you even think before posting.

Alabama has starters in with 30 seconds to play. And tried to score. And did.

Latest posts