5. Mike McMullan, NU
6. Bobby Telford, IOWA
7. Adam Chalfant, IND
8. Roger Vukobratovich, PUR
9. Peter Capone, OSU
10. Steve Andrus, MSU
11. Pat Walker, ILL​
12. Cole Tobin, WIS

I was kind of hoping that Delgado would get the 3 seed so that he would be on the other side of the bracket. As always there will be some really good semi match ups.

125- McD vs Delgado
133- Ramos vs Futrell
141- Marion vs Steiber
174- Lofthouse vs Storley

I don't think that Gambrall will make the semis, but I'm really hoping I'm wrong. This will be a fun tournament to watch!

What jumps out at me is the Yohn/Evans Quarterfinal. I really felt Evans was too overconfident that match, as if he thought he would get an easy takedown, when it didn't come, he thought his points would come on the mat, and when Yohn escaped, it was too late for him to bounce back.

I guess we will find out quickly how st johns postseason will go. Having to go through the 1, 2, & 3 seeds is a tough draw for the highest returning all american in the nation (at 157).

As far as quarters I like the Hawks chances for bonus at 125, 133, and 141.
I think semi finalists at 125, 133, 141, 157, 165, 174, 184, and 285
Finalists at 125, 133, 141,157, 165, and 174
Champions at 125, 133, 141, and 157

Its crazy to think I had to deliberate over St. John going through 2 freshman and a kid he's 3-0 against in his career. But I have faith.

Last edited:
Really like the pre-seeds and hope they hold true. Good seeds at 133, 141, 157, and 184 for the Hawks.
Somewhat surprised that Delgado did not get the #3 seed at 125 lbs.

Hopeful the Hawks can get 5-6 into the Semi's and at least 4 into the finals.

Should be a great tourney!

33, 41 and 74 are set up really nicely for us having our nasty matchup in the final. Don't like Delgado at #4 at 125. If McD trips up it will be there. He's the only guy in the country that seems to shake McD. I don't worry about him at Nationals because he'll trip up before getting to McD but at BTs he won't escape him. I still think McD wins but it'll be like Precin last year where you are nervous as hell each time they match up.

33, 41 and 74 are set up really nicely for us having our nasty matchup in the final. Don't like Delgado at #4 at 125. If McD trips up it will be there. He's the only guy in the country that seems to shake McD. I don't worry about him at Nationals because he'll trip up before getting to McD but at BTs he won't escape him. I still think McD wins but it'll be like Precin last year where you are nervous as hell each time they match up.

Nailed it!

based on seeding i believe

Penn State 135
Minnesota 127.5
Iowa 100
Ohio State 86
Michigan 84.5
Nebraska 72
Illinois 65.5
Purdue 45
Northwestern 39
Indiana 31.5
Michigan State 26.5
Wisconsin 11.5

what I find interesting is last year the hawks best chance at beating PSU was at Big Tens, this year penn state is going to rack up so many bonus points its nearly impossible, but at nationals where the hawks have a legit shot at 6+ all americans and finalists at 125, 133, and 141 if they are going to pull the upset I think Brands & Co can do it in St Louis.

what I find interesting is last year the hawks best chance at beating PSU was at Big Tens, this year penn state is going to rack up so many bonus points its nearly impossible, but at nationals where the hawks have a legit shot at 6+ all americans and finalists at 125, 133, and 141 if they are going to pull the upset I think Brands & Co can do it in St Louis.

PSU is pretty good themselves at 149, 165, 174, 184. It will be very tough for anyone to hang with them.

Who is going to beat Ruth?

Maybe Amuch but he wouldnt see him until the finals. Ruth has only had 3 non-bonus points wins this year and 1 of those was against his own teammate(Matt Brown) in the Southern Scuffle finals. His last non-bonus win wrestling someone outside the PSU room was Dec 4th. The kid is pretty dominate to say the least. Maybe he gets upset anyone can but I wouldnt beat against him.

Last edited:
Hey hawk fans. I'm a part-timer when it comes to Iowa Wrestling. Not by choice, but by marriage. How's St. John doing after his set back? Last meet I saw was against PSU. Do we have a chance for a national championship??

Somewhat surprised that Delgado did not get the #3 seed at 125 lbs.
I agree. I think Delgado gets hosed if he doesn't get the 3rd seed.

I think he has a shot to beat Sanders after dominating the first 2 periods of the dual before collapsing in the third to lose 14-13. Of course he has a shot at McD as well after beating him the first time around.

I don't have a particular person I think will beat Ruth - although I think Amuchastegi would. I just think, mentally, he'll give one up. Same with Wright. I think Wright was overrated last year but just caught fire. I actually could see Molinaro falling too. Taylor will cruise through the tourney.

I don't have a particular person I think will beat Ruth - although I think Amuchastegi would. I just think, mentally, he'll give one up. Same with Wright. I think Wright was overrated last year but just caught fire. I actually could see Molinaro falling too. Taylor will cruise through the tourney.
Well i have to disagree. I watched a few interviews with Ruth this year and he seems very calm and confident. He has made mistakes in the past. That is a fact. but on the mat he hasnt made to many this year. He will win Big tens and Nationals

Well i have to disagree. I watched a few interviews with Ruth this year and he seems very calm and confident. He has made mistakes in the past. That is a fact. but on the mat he hasnt made to many this year. He will win Big tens and Nationals

Agree. I don't think Ruth will have any problem reaching the finals at Nationals unless he encounters an injury. Unfortunately Molinaro is in one of the weaker weight classes this year and will likely reach the finals. With Wright you never know what your going to get but I'd bet that he reaches the Semi's while scoring bonus points along the way.
(Will be interesting to see how he does at the Big 10 tourney)

Either way, the Hawks obviously have to wrestler above their seeds and score bonus points to have a shot at either the Big 10 or NCAA title this year.
What's concerning is that Penn St will most likely rack up big bonus points in both tourneys.

Not if he can't get off bottom against Amuchastegui.

I don't think PSU is going to runaway with Nationals the way most people seem to predict. There solid, but I think they will only bring 8 total to nationals, and while they may very well have national champions at 49 and 65, I don't think ruth will beat Amuchastegui, I don't think Megalaudis, McIntosh, or Wade will be an AA. Alton is at a very deep weigh and Wright pretty much got on a roll last year and rode the tide to a national title, that may very well happen again but I think it will have to happen again for PSU to win. PSU may rack up bonus points... but I truely feel that McD, Ramos, and Marion will be national champions, Lofthouse and Evans will be All Americans and as HWT rarely goes to form, I think Telford is a perfect candidate to step up and make a run (the kid just wrestles better in tournaments than duals)

Last edited:

Latest posts