B1G West - Predicted Order of Finish

It hard to say right now. We can kind of group teams, but until about 4 weeks from now and possibly right up to kick off the Iowa Wisconsin game is going to be tough to call.
They probably should make it a night game, because it's rare to have a game so early in the year that means so much to both teams.
While I hope we win, all I can say for certain is it's going to be a heck of a game.

I think it's almost a lock that the Wisconsin game at Iowa will be a night game on 22 September unless one of those two teams goes 0-2 to start. The only other decent matchup in the B1G that week is Nebraska at Michigan and the TV execs always get nervous scheduling Nebraska in primetime with all of their blowout history in big games. OSU at PSU will be the night game on 29 September.

Which team will have a better year? Nebraska or Purdue?

Well Purdue is playing sound football and I expect Nebraska will begin to
Nebraska has never been wanting for skill players. Don't know how long it takes for the to get more physical at the line of scrimmage.

I'll say Purdue will be better. They seem to always have a very good QB and they know how to use it.

B1G West Standings

1 - Iowa, 10-2 (7-2) feel better about 9-3 tho, losing @Penn St & somebody else...
2 - Wisconsin, 10-2 (7-2), losing at Iowa and against Michigan.
3 - Nebraska, 7-5 (4-5), nice bounce back year but I have them falling @Mich, @Wisc, @Ohio St, Mich. St, and @iowa.... no bad losses here
4 - Minnesota, 7-5 (4-5), it's will be a tough year considering new QB but the boat won't take on a lot of water this year. I have Gophers dropping games to Iowa, Ohio State, @Nebraska, NW, and Wisconsin.
5 - Northwestern, 5-7 (3-6), dropping games @Purdue, Mich, Mich St, Neb* also could see them winning this one at home, Wisconsin, and Iowa* could be the somebody else game always seems to workout that way...
6 - Illinois, 3-9 (1-8), you can hope they beat Rutgers in NJ and you can bet they'll lose to South Florida.

Is it just me or does Iowa's path seem to easy? A 9-3 year where they lose to Iowa State but beat Wisconsin and land themselves in Indianapolis would be awesome. But a 10-2 year (beating Iowa St) and they lose to Wisconsin and find themselves watching Wisconsin battle it out for a title wouldn't be the end of the world either. Go Hawks!

I'm mildly opti
O

Only on the scoreboard, Wisconsin had 500 yard of total offense, Taylor gained 200 yards rushing and Hornibrook 199 yards (13-18). They helped keep the score down by turning the ball over 3 times between them.
Refresh my memory on that one. I seem to remember Wisconsin doing most of that damage in the first three quarters, then Purdue coming on strong in the fourth and doing it in a rainstorm.

This is a little off topic but I was looking at the schedules for the other Big Ten west schools and I noticed that both NW and Purdue are playing 2 P5 teams OOC in 2018.

NW is playing Duke and Notre Dame

Purdue is playing Missouri and Boston College.

But just as interesting, Purdue and NW still technically have 7 home games in 2018.

Then in 2019 Purdue again plays host to 2 P5 schools, Vanderbilt and TCU. But plays AT Nevada!

Then in 2020, Purdue plays at Boston College and hosts Memphis and Air Force. So Purdue only has 6 home games in 2020.

Meanwhile Iowa between 2018 and 2020 plays UNI twice, 3 MAC teams, and MTSU.

Purdue's OOC schedule puts Iowa to shame.

And recruits want to play in big games on big stages. I think the tougher non-conf for some of these teams will help them stay ahead of Iowa.

Refresh my memory on that one. I seem to remember Wisconsin doing most of that damage in the first three quarters, then Purdue coming on strong in the fourth and doing it in a rainstorm.
Well, Purdue did get a FG in the 3rd QTR after a Horni INT deep in our territory. Taylor's fumble ended another of our 2nd half drive, and we took 3 knees inside their 10 yard line to end the game. Wisconsin only punted once in the 2nd half and outgained Purdue 190 to 124 during that time.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned Chryst is not Bielema. He does call off the dogs sometimes to Badger fan consternation.

Is it just me or does Iowa's path seem to easy? A 9-3 year where they lose to Iowa State but beat Wisconsin and land themselves in Indianapolis would be awesome. But a 10-2 year (beating Iowa St) and they lose to Wisconsin and find themselves watching Wisconsin battle it out for a title wouldn't be the end of the world either. Go Hawks!
Kind of like Wisconsin's schedule last year? it was worse than our 2015 schedule.

This is a little off topic but I was looking at the schedules for the other Big Ten west schools and I noticed that both NW and Purdue are playing 2 P5 teams OOC in 2018.

NW is playing Duke and Notre Dame

Purdue is playing Missouri and Boston College.

But just as interesting, Purdue and NW still technically have 7 home games in 2018.

Then in 2019 Purdue again plays host to 2 P5 schools, Vanderbilt and TCU. But plays AT Nevada!

Then in 2020, Purdue plays at Boston College and hosts Memphis and Air Force. So Purdue only has 6 home games in 2020.

Meanwhile Iowa between 2018 and 2020 plays UNI twice, 3 MAC teams, and MTSU.

Purdue's OOC schedule puts Iowa to shame.

So switch to being a big P fan.

Well, Purdue did get a FG in the 3rd QTR after a Horni INT deep in our territory. Taylor's fumble ended another of our 2nd half drive, and we took 3 knees inside their 10 yard line to end the game. Wisconsin only punted once in the 2nd half and outgained Purdue 190 to 124 during that time.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned Chryst is not Bielema. He does call off the dogs sometimes to Badger fan consternation.

Chryst was Bielema's OC many of those years when Bret was running up video game numbers. Some have given Paul more credit for those teams than Bret, especially as Bret's off the field antics gained notoriety.

I remember when Chryst was a high school student in Platteville trying to get into those college bars like every other high school kid. Where has the time gone? Bo Ryan wouldn't even have been there yet.

Chryst was Bielema's OC many of those years when Bret was running up video game numbers. Some have given Paul more credit for those teams than Bret, especially as Bret's off the field antics gained notoriety.

I remember when Chryst was a high school student in Platteville trying to get into those college bars like every other high school kid. Where has the time gone? Bo Ryan wouldn't even have been there yet.
Northside, Chryst can't pull the plug if the boss doesn't want him to. Moreover, we went 2 deep in our OL and 3 deep in our RBs, all of whom could have started for most D5 teams during those years (2010-2011). Hard not to put up points if the other team gives up in the 3rd quarter and you are already playing your bench. This did happen multiple times. Hell, we ran the ball on every play but one in the second half of one game. It wasn't Chryst who wanted to piss off the goofs.

I am ONE who will give Chryst the lion's share of the credit for Wisconsin's success from 2005 through 2011. Heck, we went 8-6 the season after Chryst left, the only season in 4 that we didn't have at least 10 wins. That said, Chryst did take half the coaching staff with him as he left.

When I was at Platteville it was still 18 but you still had to travel to Dickeyville to get a beer then hope you could make it back home safely. It turned 21 my last year there. One of Bret's problems besides his mouth was chasing coed skirts.

Last edited:
Northside, Chryst can't pull the plug if the boss doesn't want him to. Moreover, we went 2 deep in our OL and 3 deep in our RBs, all of whom could have started for most D5 teams during those years (2010-2011). Hard not to put up points if the other team gives up in the 3rd quarter and you are already playing your bench. This did happen multiple times. Hell, we ran the ball on every play but one in the second half of one game. It wasn't Chryst who wanted to piss off the goofs.

I am ONE who will give Chryst the lion's share of the credit for Wisconsin's success from 2005 through 2011. Heck, we went 8-6 the season after Chryst left, the only season in 4 that we didn't have at least 10 wins. That said, Chryst did take half the coaching staff with him as he left.

When I was at Platteville it was still 18 but you still had to travel to Dickeyville to get a beer then hope you could make it back home safely. It turned 21 my last year there. One of Bret's problems besides his mouth was chasing coed skirts.
Platteville's 1980's clubs like the Patio and the Studio were two of the strictest clubs around for uncovering fake ID's and foiling underage entry. If you could get in THERE at seventeen (and it was eighteen in Wisconsin back then tenderfoots) you were treated like royalty when you crossed the river back into Iowa.

I think you misunderstood me or perhaps I misunderstood myself. I'm not saying Paul ran those scores into the seventies and eighties. That was Bert all the way. I'm saying he was the Mastermind behind much of the schematics of those offenses. Bert was primarily a defensive coach. And yes, he liked to chase a skirt or two around Mad Town. He didn't get married until he was past forty.

Platteville's 1980's clubs like the Patio and the Studio were two of the strictest clubs around for uncovering fake ID's and foiling underage entry. If you could get in THERE at seventeen (and it was eighteen in Wisconsin back then tenderfoots) you were treated like royalty when you crossed the river back into Iowa.
Yeah, back in the late 60s, only those students 21 even attempted to go down town to drink. The scuttlebutt was that the townspeople really didn't want any of us down there so even the 21 year olds tended to leave town to drink.

Not saying you should drink yellow koolaid with a black straw but some of you guys need to take a more positive attitude. I hope your team doesn't think the same way. ;)

Unknown, if you've seen some of the things we've seen, you'd probably understand the attitude a little more. Particularly when Wisconsin is involved.

The 2010 Wisconsin game in Iowa City was a "line of demarcation" so to speak for Iowa football. Iowa got run over in that game like I hadn't seen since 2000. There is a clear Iowa football program before and after that game. And they're very different.

Before: A hard nosed program. A program with a clear identity. Physical, run the ball on offense, good special teams, play great defense that can adjust to opponents in game. 2008 vs PSU, 2009 @PSU and 2009 @Wisconsin are prime examples of Iowa being dominated by a good team in the first quarter. Then they adjusted and physically dominated physical teams the rest of the way and won the game.

After: Is Iowa a physical run team or a horizontal passing team? Or are they a team that attempts to be physical but often gets beat up? A rugby punter? Why so afraid of putting together a return game? The defense while still good, does not stop the run like they used to under Norm. That was Iowa's calling card under KF's first decade. Outside of 2015, Iowa has rarely appeared in the top 25 despite playing in a weak division since 2014.

Since that game in 2010 they've beaten Wisconsin (2015) and MSU (2012) once each. In 2011 and 2013, MSU completely pushed Iowa around and passed over them too. In 2015 MSU ran the ball down Iowa's throat at will in the biggest game in the history of Iowa's program to win the game. In 2013 and 2017 Wisconsin did whatever they wanted to Iowa. The 2014 and 2016 games (in Kinnick) were close on the score board but controlled by Wisconsin physically and I don't remember Iowa ever leading either game.

Bottom line: Wisconsin is the bogeyman to Iowa. They took their manhood in 2010 and identity. Iowa has been searching for it since. Until they find it, I understand the fanbase having tempered expectations.

Last edited:
Iowa
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Nebraska
Minnesota
Purdue
Illinois
Yup.
Here is an outsiders picks,
1st Wisconsin 7-2 10-2
2nd Iowa 6-3 9-3
T-3rd Nebraska 4-5 7-5
T-3rd Minnesota 4-5 7-5
T-3rd Northwestern 4-5 6-6
T-6th Illinois 1-8 4-8
T-6th Purdue 1-8 3-9
He says Wisconsin has an offense that is going to be tough to stop and gives Iowa a chance at it. Plus thinks Northwestern could give them problems.
Although all tied for 3rd, gives Northwestern the nod for 3rd if they start off good and stay healthy.

Unknown, if you've seen some of the things we've seen, you'd probably understand the attitude a little more. Particularly when Wisconsin is involved.

The 2010 Wisconsin game in Iowa City was a "line of demarcation" so to speak for Iowa football. Iowa got run over in that game like I hadn't seen since 2000. There is a clear Iowa football program before and after that game. And they're very different.

Before: A hard nosed program. A program with a clear identity. Physical, run the ball on offense, good special teams, play great defense that can adjust to opponents in game. 2008 vs PSU, 2009 @PSU and 2009 @Wisconsin are prime examples of Iowa being dominated by a good team in the first quarter. Then they adjusted and physically dominated physical teams the rest of the way and won the game.

After: Is Iowa a physical run team or a horizontal passing team? Or are they a team that attempts to be physical but often gets beat up? A rugby punter? Why so afraid of putting together a return game? The defense while still good, does not stop the run like they used to under Norm. That was Iowa's calling card under KF's first decade. Outside of 2015, Iowa has rarely appeared in the top 25 despite playing in a weak division since 2014.

Since that game in 2010 they've beaten Wisconsin (2015) and MSU (2012) once each. In 2011 and 2013, MSU completely pushed Iowa around and passed over them too. In 2015 MSU ran the ball down Iowa's throat at will in the biggest game in the history of Iowa's program to win the game. In 2013 and 2017 Wisconsin did whatever they wanted to Iowa. The 2014 and 2016 games (in Kinnick) were close on the score board but controlled by Wisconsin physically and I don't remember Iowa ever leading either game.

Bottom line: Wisconsin is the boggy man to Iowa. They took their manhood in 2010 and identity. Iowa has been searching for it since. Until they find it, I understand the fanbase having tempered expectations.

I still blame myself for that one. Had tickets, but Ma made me go buy a car that day bince we had just bought a condo. Was watching the game at O'Toole's. I called the fake. Called it all the way. Had I been there in Row 79 where I should have been yelling at Lester Erb to watch the fake, we would have stopped it. Ferentz needed one more voice yelling to watch the fake.

That was bad, but the game that broke me was 3 weeks later against Northwestern. I had watched Iowa lose to them too much and it really crushed me.

Latest posts