B1G West - Predicted Order of Finish

Hawk1960

Less than 60 days until game 1. What is your predicted order of finish and conference records for the B1G West?

I'm going with ...

1) Wisconsin 7-2
2) Iowa 5-4
3) Purdue 5-4
4) Northwestern 4-5
5) Nebraska 4-5
6) Illinois 3-6
7) Minnesota 2-7

1. Wisconsin 8-1
2. Iowa 7-2
3. Northwestern 5-4
4. Purdue 5-4
5. Minnesota 3-6
6. Nebraska 3-6
7. Illinois 1-8

When is Thorson back? And when does he become the typical pain in the ass Northwestern QB? Northwestern will likely be 4-2 or 3-3 going into the Iowa game and they finish with Illinois and Minnesota.

Teams Iowa will be expected to lose to but will win one of them
Wisc, PSU

Teams Iowa should beat but will lose to 2 of them
ILL, Minn, Neb, NW, MD, Indy, Pur

Final Iowa record 6-3

Wisc plays @Iowa,@Mich, @PSU, @NW. They will have at least 2 losses

Big Ten west
Wisc 7-2
Iowa 6-3
NW 4-5
PUR 4-5
NEB 3-6
MINN 2-7
ILL 2-7

Last edited:
Y'all do know PSU isn't going to be nearly as good this year right? Holes in D and Barkley is gone.
Northwestern, sounds like Thorson is doing fine, but that could change They have Michigan, MSU, Wisconsin and ND before we get them. Inexperience at rb and are trying to find depth at wr.
If we have improved enough in our passing, Wisconsin and Nebraska are a little bit worried about their db's. That whole we have to be tougher attitude that Frost is trying to instill will have those guys really trying to stop the run. However I don't see them not getting beat up a little with their schedule. Wisconsin should do a number on their D and Michigan should do a number on their O. I think Minnesota and Nebraska are breaking in new quarter backs and we get Minnesota second game. They.lost a experienced rb to injury for the year and are replacing a bunch on dl. Purdue could be even better on offense but their dl and lb positions from last year are mostly gone now. Hoosiers D had a ton of starters graduate. They brought in a qb transfer, so you know that was on the coaches mind, that could be a weak spot, but we don't know how good the transfer will be. Illinois could be improved, they started a ton of young guys last year so they return a bunch of starters with more experience and time in the program.
These are all very winnable games. Wisconsin returns that ol and back, but have new guys at DB and de. But far and away probably the toughest O in our division. I would have two game plans for them, one if you have to get into a shoot out with them, because they are going to score. Two, if you somehow happen to shut them down, to be able to burn the clock at the end of the game. Not all stupid like in the 3rd up by 10 but if you find yourself up by 14 with 7:00 and they don't have a ton of time outs, you don't want them getting the ball back twice in that time. Timing of play calling here is at a premium. Foot to the floor and hopefully it doesn't come down to late in the game. If it does we need our O to rise to the challenge.

Last edited:
1. Wisconsin
2. Northwestern (if their QB is fully healthy, if not, move them down to 4)
3. Iowa
4. Nebraska
5. Purdue
6. Minnesota
7. Illinois

Wiscy 8-1
NW 6-3
Iowa 5-4
Purdue 5-4
Nebby 5-4
Minny 3-6
Ill 0-9

OR

Wiscy 7-2
Iowa 7-2
Purdue 6-3
NW 5-4
Nebby 5-4
Minny 4-5
Ill 3-6

Teams Iowa will be expected to lose to but will win one of them
Wisc, PSU

Teams Iowa should beat but will lose to 2 of them
ILL, Minn, Neb, NW, MD, Indy, Pur

Final Iowa record 6-3

Wisc plays @Iowa,@Mich, @PSU, @NW. They will have at least 2 losses

Big Ten west
Wisc 7-2
Iowa 6-3
NW 4-5
PUR 4-5
NEB 3-6
MINN 2-7
ILL 2-7

This is why I say every game is going to be important. Because the best shot at Wisconsin losing is a cross over. If we beat them, hardly anyone else in the West is going to match up to their O. Look how many lost a ton on DL. So we could be their only west division loss. Which means if we beat them, we can only lose 1 West division game. Preferably none!!!

Any order wouldn't surprise me including Iowa at 1.

Neither would this.

Purdue Nebby Wisky in a tie.

IL, NW, MN in a tie for 4.

Iowa.

This is a little off topic but I was looking at the schedules for the other Big Ten west schools and I noticed that both NW and Purdue are playing 2 P5 teams OOC in 2018.

NW is playing Duke and Notre Dame

Purdue is playing Missouri and Boston College.

But just as interesting, Purdue and NW still technically have 7 home games in 2018.

Then in 2019 Purdue again plays host to 2 P5 schools, Vanderbilt and TCU. But plays AT Nevada!

Then in 2020, Purdue plays at Boston College and hosts Memphis and Air Force. So Purdue only has 6 home games in 2020.

Meanwhile Iowa between 2018 and 2020 plays UNI twice, 3 MAC teams, and MTSU.

Purdue's OOC schedule puts Iowa to shame.

Can we hold off on the Jeff Brohm love just a little bit. Like Matt Campbell I get all arrows are pointing up,but can we wait before we anoint them the next Nick Saban.
If you’re using Matt Campbell and Jeff Brohm in the same analogy then you don’t follow college football even a little.

If you’re using Matt Campbell and Jeff Brohm in the same analogy then you don’t follow college football even a little.
Same could be said about someone who has a team that lost their front 7 (that was a top 30, rushing d) as second in the west.

Can we hold off on the Jeff Brohm love just a little bit. Like Matt Campbell I get all arrows are pointing up,but can we wait before we anoint them the next Nick Saban.
Purdue is for real. They hung with Wisconsin from a physical standpoint. They out-physicalled almost everyone else, including us. Brohm has already established physical toughness up front and he doesn't even have his own players yet.

Purdue is for real. They hung with Wisconsin from a physical standpoint. They out-physicalled almost everyone else, including us. Brohm has already established physical toughness up front and he doesn't even have his own players yet.

The team was full of seniors and grad transfers.
Game 9, replacing the entire front of the D, replacing one ol, (they are senior heavy this year on offensive line). With freshman depth?? We get them after OSU and MSU.
I like our chances.

Latest posts