B1G problems

InGoodCo

The B1G needs to reevaluate everything.

They need to look at a 18 game schedule though I like more games against good teams

They need to look at officiating - they call the games differently then they do in the tournament and that is a great disservice to the teams that participate in it.

They need to look at moving the conference championship up to Saturday

why?

Of the 18 longest Sweet 16 droughts in Power 5 Basketball, 7 schools are from the B1G. Not only Iowa, but half the conference hasn't made a Sweet 16 since 2005. The B1G has one NCAA title since 1989.

That’s systemic

Last edited:
The B1G needs to reevaluate everything.

They need to look at a 18 game schedule though I like more games against good teams

They need to look at officiating - they call the games differently then they do in the tournament and that is a great disservice to the teams that participate in it.

They need to look at moving the conference championship up to Saturday

why?

Of the 18 longest Sweet 16 droughts in Power 5 Basketball, 7 schools are from the B1G. Not only Iowa, but half the conference hasn't made a Sweet 16 since 2005. The B1G has one NCAA title since 1989.

That systemic

There are definitely issues, but we can’t overreact. The last 22 years there has been a B1G team in the championship game 8 times. I am in agreement that everything you suggested needs to be looked at.

Big Ten Officiating has been the same for DECADES! I'm struggling to see that as a reason or an excuse that leads to poor Big Ten performance in March Madness. Furthermore to look at the struggles of certain Big Ten teams not making the Sweet 16 that's really a leap!
It is Systematic in the fact that those teams need to get BETTER!!

I think the championships game needs to be moved because it likely does not give as much value as it could to moving up in seeding because of being played on the same day of NCAA selections (and the high chance seeding has been put to ink by the time that game is done).

Something could also be said about teams getting out of the first weekend who have won the Big Ten Tournament. I saw a stat on the other site something like 8 or 9 Big Ten teams that have won the BTT have lost in the first weekend. Tired legs could be a thing.

Then again, the Iowa Women won the Big Ten Tournament and were Co-Big Ten Regular Season champions. Had a week off and lost in the 2nd game (and at home of all places). So, more time off does not make you invincible either. They did jump all the way up to a 2 seed though.

Statistically, I would like my chances the higher seed I can get in most cases.

But HawkPrdatr40 I think hits it on the head.....Big Ten teams are just not getting the job done near enough in the early rounds. Especially and unfortunately, that also specifically includes our Hawkeyes.

Which schools have the most 2022 McDonald’s All-Americans?​

Here’s the full breakdown of the roster at the McDonald’s Game this year:
  • Duke: 3 (center Dereck Lively, wing Dariq Whitehead, forward Mark Mitchell)
  • Arkansas: 3 (guard Nick Smith, wing Jordan Walsh, point guard Anthony Black)
  • Kansas: 3 (wing Gradey Dick, wing M.J. Rice, center Ernest Udeh)
  • UCLA: 2 (guard Amari Bailey, center Adem Bona)
  • Texas: 2 (wing Dillon Mitchell, guard Arterio Morris)
  • Kentucky: 2 (forward Chris Livingston, guard Cason Wallace)
  • Alabama: 2 (guard Jaden Bradley, wing Brandon Miller)
  • Baylor: 1 (guard Keyonte George)
  • Houston: 1 (forward Jarace Walker)
  • Oregon: 1 (center Kel’el Ware)
  • Notre Dame: 1 (guard J.J. Starling)
  • Villanova: 1 (forward Cameron Whitmore)
  • USC: 1 (big Kijani Wright)
  • Uncommitted: 1 (forward Julian Phillips)
Not one player on the McDonalds's All-American Team will play in the Big Ten

The Big 12 was IMO a much more physical league than the Big 10 this year and the league had a much better tourney. I really don't think this notion that the Big 10 is officiated differently has much merit. IMO it's all about the talent level.

Agree on officiating ... Historically, it seemed the Dance was called tighter and the B1G-10-ish teams had to tone it down. This year - Good Lord! Swallowed whistles on arm-bars, shoulder charges and various assorted muggings while verticality and minor touches were called. This tourney was about as rough-n-tumble Big14-like as they come.

It really is about size, quickness, good ball movement (Kansas is spectacular) and making open shots. Iowa lacked in all 4 areas and was bounced.

Any chance Fran will ask young Julian to head a few hours north? I mean, 6'8 200# PF leaving ... why not come in and keep the Malone award at Iowa, kid?

If you'd told me that without listing em I wouldn't have believed you. That's crazy. Izzo can't land one anymore Purdue? Not a good trend however you want to look at it however... It doesn't make me too sad when at the end of the day the BIG had like 3 or 4 of the top 5 overall players in the game when you look at Murray Ivy Davis and Cockburn. The problem with that is that's not sustainable most likely

Iowa has had an All American anchor their team for 3 straight years. I get it, everyone needs to get better, but when you look at those #'s, you have to ask yourself if the conference is setting itself up for success. I believe that it's not.

The last 42 years Purdue has won the B1G several times…yet Iowa has more final 4 appearances. The conference just needs for Purdue to get their shit together.:)

Talent, typical Big teams has one or two great athletes, the top teams have 4 or 5. 4, 5, 6 year seniors still don't beat the one and done guys.

The last 42 years Purdue has won the B1G several times…yet Iowa has more final 4 appearances. The conference just needs for Purdue to get their shit together.:)
In the last 42 years, Purdue made it to the final 4 the last, and only, year Iowa did, and beat Iowa in the 3rd place game.

The style of play in the B1G is the main roadblock to success in the tourney, IMO, followed a close second by talent level.

The B1G is a league that still hinges on power play from big men in the paint. Almost all other leagues and thus teams you face in the tourney have shifted towards fast guard play with lock down defenses. Until the B1G learns to play that style of basketball you’re going to see piss poor results.

It’s a catch 22 because you need to be competitive in your own league so you gear your recruiting and coaching towards that, but it has a negative effect in the post season.

There’s really no way to affect change at the conference level until you have a couple teams start to play a different style and start winning, but that’s not going to happen on its own. As far as officiating, the only thing you can do is start really calling 3 seconds violations and that’s not materially going to change anything. One could argue that they need to start calling more fouls, but before that would take place B1G officials would have to somewhat admit they weren’t calling the game properly in the first place and that ain’t happening.

The other problem is, like I mentioned, talent level, and well…good luck with that.

The style of play in the B1G is the main roadblock to success in the tourney, IMO, followed a close second by talent level.

The B1G is a league that still hinges on power play from big men in the paint. Almost all other leagues and thus teams you face in the tourney have shifted towards fast guard play with lock down defenses. Until the B1G learns to play that style of basketball you’re going to see piss poor results.

It’s a catch 22 because you need to be competitive in your own league so you gear your recruiting and coaching towards that, but it has a negative effect in the post season.

There’s really no way to affect change at the conference level until you have a couple teams start to play a different style and start winning, but that’s not going to happen on its own. As far as officiating, the only thing you can do is start really calling 3 seconds violations and that’s not materially going to change anything. One could argue that they need to start calling more fouls, but before that would take place B1G officials would have to somewhat admit they weren’t calling the game properly in the first place and that ain’t happening.

The other problem is, like I mentioned, talent level, and well…good luck with that.
Agree and 3rd to that list and you alluded to it later is the officiating... It's noticeably different in the BIG. Folks like to say quit whining about that but it is what it is. Ignoring the obvious doesn't make it go away

There are 8 centers in the top 60 projected in the draft that are ncaa players. Only one from the BIG. Gonzaga, Arizona, Duke, and Auburn would disagree with you.

B1G basketball is a cousin to football. Too much contact and not enough finesse.

After watching BIG teams in the tourney the past few years, I actually think this may be the opposite. I think other conference teams are tougher, to be honest.

Wow, great get. That is freaking alarming and telling, indeed!

Latest posts