B1G officiating

B1G refs are bad in both Bball and football. This is just a snipet of why. But I find basketball at all levels difficult to watch due to the lack of travel calls anymore. Everyone gets an extra step or two with everything.

I thought the Purdue guy with the high school body who made more threes last night than he has all year took an extra step or hop with every three he tossed up from his hip. Maybe I was seeing things.

B1G refs are bad in both Bball and football. This is just a snipet of why. But I find basketball at all levels difficult to watch due to the lack of travel calls anymore. Everyone gets an extra step or two with everything.

I thought the Purdue guy with the high school body who made more threes last night than he has all year took an extra step or hop with every three he tossed up from his hip. Maybe I was seeing things.
No, you were very clearly watching. Purdue players marched around without dribbling the entire game. The only time they did not move their feet around was when they had them firmly planted in the lane for multiple seconds. I would add that there were a number of calls based on anticipation of a foul often when anIowa player was defending a driving Purdue player.

Man that is pretty bad....I think Huck and Ryno also make good points here as well.

I said this in the game thread though. I think although we are leading the league in steals, I think we are rather undisciplined with reaching in fouls. We get a good trap set and we reach in and blow that trap.

We did ourselves no favors here in the the Purdue game.

My observations from being at the game was these guys were simple lazy or out of shape. They simple couldn't keep up with the action, were out of position while making calls, and as Huck pointed out made preconceived calls. They made a lot of guesses and only reviewed one, which they happened to get right. To be fair, Iowa's game seemed to include a lot of stripping the ball as the Purdue players went up for their shot and guys stepping around and swiping the ball as the player backed them down. Many of these steals were clean but sometimes refs make this an automatic call. To their credit the refs made it a point to call the bump fouls on Purdue in the second half and Iowa was able to draw fouls as Keegan started forcing the issue. The game boiled down to Iowa missing several shots late and Purdue making theirs. Purdue played very well, this is a top 10 team.

No shit. Another thing I've noticed, even on the high school level, is all the carries by guards handling the ball. They constantly carry it when turning to drive it. Never called. They seriously have their hand on the underside of the ball and roll it over to the top when turning to drive. Drive me nuts. Gone by the wayside is that and the 3 second call.

When Iowa played Illinois that Cofi Cockburn literall stood in the lane the entire Illinois offensive series every time down the court. No wonder he had so many rebounds and put backs. He never had to freaking move. Make a guy move like they are supposed to and he's never in position ALL THE TIME like he is.

Last edited:

Latest posts