B1G Money, Small Spenders?

this is the point i was going to make. The SEC can spend out the *** on football because they don't have to use that money to fund a bunch of other sports.

Wrestling and hockey are minor sports. Not many people give a hoot about them.

What is the purpose of having any D-1 sports besides mens basketball and football be scholarship sports? I think only scholarships should be given for those two sports and the rest of sports should be club teams.

Unfortunately due to Title IX, I know this can never happen.

What is the purpose of having any D-1 sports besides mens basketball and football be scholarship sports? I think only scholarships should be given for those two sports and the rest of sports should be club teams.

Unfortunately due to Title IX, I know this can never happen.

So unless the sport makes money they can't have scholarships. That is the biggest crock of .... those athletic scholarships typically go to better students in those other sports and most of them are using the scholarship to better themselves. Some wouldn't be able to afford school without the scholly. Even some of the brighter kids that could also get academic scholarships.

I had an athletic scholly for baseball and an academic scholarship...I needed both so I could afford school. Because of these reasons I may be biased but I know some great citizens that deserve college educations could lose out on them if only scholarships for bball and fball.

9.9 0
-------

Now, add up those women's scholarships and realize that by some factor every single one of them is a loss of money. Take field hockey at Iowa for example. 21 girls on the roster, 12 scholarships. Every one of those rides is filled and also filled by an out of stater. One way to make women's sports cost less is to have the rides filled by state of Iowa girls.

Women's sports still cost money...millions of dollars per year...and those are millions of dollars that are not offset by revenues. The SEC doesn't load the boat that way like the Big Ten does.

Not to be picky but I think these women's teams athletes are women and not girls.

And interesting thread. The population migration to the south and this money disparity is a huge problem from B!G point of view.

I would be willing to bet a testicle that the statement about sponsoring more sports makes it impossible for the Big Ten to spend equally to the SEC on football is garbage.

Prove it big mouth - Old Man Miller includes the fact Bama funds 15 sports vs Indiana's 22. So either go through each conferences schools and add up all the sports sponsored (I'm sure you'll see that disparity extrapulated out and thus further proving JD right) or mail in a testicle to Le Diesel.

So unless the sport makes money they can't have scholarships. That is the biggest crock of .... those athletic scholarships typically go to better students in those other sports and most of them are using the scholarship to better themselves. Some wouldn't be able to afford school without the scholly. Even some of the brighter kids that could also get academic scholarships.

I had an athletic scholly for baseball and an academic scholarship...I needed both so I could afford school. I may be biased but I know some great citizens that deserve college educations could lose out on them if only scholarships for bball and fball.

I,m with you. I had an academic scholly too, but made the baseball team my sophomore year. Probably couldn't have done that without the academic scholly either. Sounds like someone has their priorities in the wrong order.

SEC schools spend millions more on their football programs than do Big Ten schools. Are B1G athletic departments being cheap?

More...

very interesting. I wondered as I read that piece, if the SEC assistants were expected to redistribute that salary to influence key people and ensure competitive posture in recruiting throughout the south. If they didn't they'd be canned. Just speculation. I can write it as a fan but bloggers and sportswriters can't.

Your point? They win and that's what matters. This isn't recreational league so that everyone gets a chance to play. We need to do whatever it takes to be the top league again.

The SEC... where they exploit young men and provide other young people as few opportunities as possible so that the old boys network can get fat paychecks.

Your point? They win and that's what matters. This isn't recreational league so that everyone gets a chance to play. We need to do whatever it takes to be the top league again.

That's a pretty long way from what the purpose of NCAA athletics is supposed to be.