B1G Media Day Thoughts

Motigerhawk

Frost made an interesting point about Nebby and NIL. He stated that the support the state gives the program, transfers will really benefit. I thought about that and it makes sense. That is exactly the model Nebby should follow.

Not a lot of questions for Frost though. Lots of dead air.

Frost made an interesting point about Nebby and NIL. He stated that the support the state gives the program, transfers will really benefit. I thought about that and it makes sense. That is exactly the model Nebby should follow.

After a while there's really only so much of the same questions and awkward one-word responses he can give.

I've watched every single Frost presser since he started that program on fire and they just keep getting better and better and better. Not the Huskers, the pressers.

Current depth chart lists 4 Sophs starting on the OLine. Add Procter to that and in a couple years the OLine could be pretty darn good.

Reading the transcript of Frost's media day, multiple times he mentioned the challenge of having 33 new transfers & scholarship players and creating the "one team" culture he wants. Sounds like he's pretty concerned about that.

"Coach, when you came to Nebraska many commentators said that you would rewrite the record book. Under your stewardship Nebraska has lost more games in a four year stretch than at any point in their storied history, and that includes the COVID shortened 2020 season. What do you say to the haters who didn't think that you would find your place in the annals of Nebraska football history?"

"Coach, when you came to Nebraska many commentators said that you would rewrite the record book. Under your stewardship Nebraska has lost more games in a four year stretch than at any point in their storied history, and that includes the COVID shortened 2020 season. What do you say to the haters who didn't think that you would find your place in the annals of Nebraska football history?"
"Coach, we noticed your wife moved back to Lincoln after her lawyer told her that if she divorces you before any buyout you might get she'd be fucked, that coupled with the child support to the 18 year old beer cart chick you knocked up pretty much nullifies any financial benefit there was by coming home to coach at nebraska. Have you considered trying to get 50/50 custody of the kid to ease the burden of those payments, or will your wife not let the kid in the house?"

"If not, do you just do your bimonthly visitations down at that Super 8 on I80 with the pool?"

Justin Britt and Jackson Ritter out for the season.
Both hurt in different ways. The WR is already pretty thin, but I don't think anyone was expecting Ritter to do a lot. Britt hurts. He has been up and down, but he is someone that was in the running to start. Luckily, we have good depth at the OL, but that room remains my biggest worry. By far.

Both hurt in different ways. The WR is already pretty thin, but I don't think anyone was expecting Ritter to do a lot. Britt hurts. He has been up and down, but he is someone that was in the running to start. Luckily, we have good depth at the OL, but that room remains my biggest worry. By far.
OL is not worse than last year by a long ways. They'll be ok.

A couple guys who I know from my HS coaching circle know Barnett personally and they say he's the real deal Holyfield. Sounds like he's a Lexus upgrade from a Pinto compared to Tim Polasek.

For the first three seasons Frost spent all of his pressers complaining about the shitty culture he inherited from Riley and how it was all his fault that Nebbie was still losing. He lost that nugget last season, so he has moved on to bad luck as the reason Nebbie loses. Seriously, he argued that a lot. Bad luck. He has built a shitty culture from the get go. Actually, several shitty cultures because this team changes identities every season, but the one thing that is constant is lack of discipline, composure and football IQ. That is all on the coach. He should be worried. Fixing that sort of cultural issue with half of your team being brand new is a hell of a gamble.

OL is not worse than last year by a long ways. They'll be ok.

A couple guys who I know from my HS coaching circle know Barnett personally and they say he's the real deal Holyfield. Sounds like he's a Lexus upgrade from a Pinto compared to Tim Polasek.
Hope you are right. It never seemed like Polasek was a good fit. Not that great of a teacher compared to our other coaches. The OL has got to be a lot better if this dreadful O has any hope of becoming average.

Hope you are right. It never seemed like Polasek was a good fit. Not that great of a teacher compared to our other coaches. The OL has got to be a lot better if this dreadful O has any hope of becoming average.
Had the unfortunate opportunity to be within a few feet of Polasek when he was coaching at Iowa. Was during the last 2 spring games, the guy is an absolute fucking tool. Total Napoleon complex with no control over himself. He's a little humpty dumpty looking guy who did nothing but fly into hysterical rages non-stop, did the whole grab a guy's jersey and scream through his facemask for 30 seconds at the top of his lungs and 8 out of 10 words was motherfucker. When he'd get done screaming he'd walk away and all you saw was players muttering under their breath and rolling their eyes. You could tell he was in over his head and his guys hated him. Not the way to coach kids.

I played for a screamer coach like that in high school who absolutely knew his stuff and had a great football mind. But all I wanted to do was kill the guy in whatever the most painful way happened to be. We all felt that way.

Had the unfortunate opportunity to be within a few feet of Polasek when he was coaching at Iowa. Was during the last 2 spring games, the guy is an absolute fucking tool. Total Napoleon complex with no control over himself. He's a little humpty dumpty looking guy who did nothing but fly into hysterical fucking rages non-stop, did the whole grab a guys jersey and scream through his facemask for 30 seconds at the top of his lungs and 8 out of 10 words was motherfucker. When he'd get done screaming he'd walk away and all you saw was players muttering under their breath and rolling their eyes. You could tell he was in over his head and his guys hated him. Not the way to coach kids.

I played for a screamer coach like that in high school who absolutely knew his stuff and had a great football mind. But all I wanted to do was kill the guy in whatever the most painful way happened to be. We all felt that way.

Most people don't want to F up. Maybe you scream a little bit the first few days, scare the dudes a little bit, get their attention, but anyone who has ascended to the level of playing ball at a school the caliber of Iowa probably has a pretty big internal motor. Literally no amount of external criticism can outweigh how shitty a guy will feel with himself for missing the key block that causes his QB to get hit and fumble or the RB to get stopped in the backfield on 3rd and inches. That guy will know he let his teammates down as well. You don't need to go be an asshole 2 inches from his face.

Did Frost get many questions about Martinez and some of the stuff he'd been saying? He hadn't been shy this off season pretty much torching the culture at the place on his way out the door.

Had the unfortunate opportunity to be within a few feet of Polasek when he was coaching at Iowa. Was during the last 2 spring games, the guy is an absolute fucking tool. Total Napoleon complex with no control over himself. He's a little humpty dumpty looking guy who did nothing but fly into hysterical rages non-stop, did the whole grab a guy's jersey and scream through his facemask for 30 seconds at the top of his lungs and 8 out of 10 words was motherfucker. When he'd get done screaming he'd walk away and all you saw was players muttering under their breath and rolling their eyes. You could tell he was in over his head and his guys hated him. Not the way to coach kids.

Dang.... I'd heard a podcast with the Washed up Walkons awhile ago and they had Wirfs on. He talked about having had Polasek down to Tampa to visit him at his place and just hang out since he's been there. He must not have been all bad or why would Wirfs of all people stay friendly with him? It didn't seem like there was much bad blood with him having left or anything. Granted Wirfs woulda been the top of the totem pole and probably not picked on like that.

Every coach can have a bad day, and coaching young kids who make the same mistake over and over again can boil the blood. But, I think as time has passed the days of Bobby Knight types being effective in coaching this generation are seemingly over or almost over.

Certainly Wirfs and Lindy were huge successes for this guy. It just felt the last few years that as a unit, the OL was not good enough. They are young and talented and have some experience back. Let's hope the new coach has the right secret sauce and they start to open some holes.

Every coach can have a bad day, and coaching young kids who make the same mistake over and over again can boil the blood. But, I think as time has passed the days of Bobby Knight types being effective in coaching this generation are seemingly over or almost over.

Certainly Wirfs and Lindy were huge successes for this guy. It just felt the last few years that as a unit, the OL was not good enough. They are young and talented and have some experience back. Let's hope the new coach has the right secret sauce and they start to open some holes.
Dang.... I'd heard a podcast with the Washed up Walkons awhile ago and they had Wirfs on. He talked about having had Polasek down to Tampa to visit him at his place and just hang out since he's been there. He must not have been all bad or why would Wirfs of all people stay friendly with him? It didn't seem like there was much bad blood with him having left or anything. Granted Wirfs woulda been the top of the totem pole and probably not picked on like that.
I saw it at the 2 spring practices I was at and it was guys who weren’t on the depth chart. There’s different schools of coaches but he definitely was getting bad vibes from players. Like you said there’s not much of that a guy is going to do to a Wirfs type since Wirfs was better as a freshman than Polasek ever dreamed of being.

Did Frost get many questions about Martinez and some of the stuff he'd been saying? He hadn't been shy this off season pretty much torching the culture at the place on his way out the door.
I hope Martinez throws for 25,000 yds and 75 touchdowns.

Hope he wins the Heisman by such a margin that they don’t even invite anyone else to the dinner and he sends Scott Frost an autographed K-State helmet via Pajama Gram.

Reading the transcript of Frost's media day, multiple times he mentioned the challenge of having 33 new transfers & scholarship players and creating the "one team" culture he wants. Sounds like he's pretty concerned about that.
That is a lot of transfers to work into your "culture". You combine that with the players that were already there and, if they get passed by these transfers, that could throw that culture out the window. I don't know the exact numbers but when you have as many leave your program as they did, that can't be a good sign.

Latest posts