B1G looking at Friday night games

This is such a stupid idea it doesn't even pass the smell test.

1. As said above parents and kids are going to high school games. When high school ball is over it is later in the year and cold in big 10 country.

2. Friday nite at 7 pm or 6 pm does not give people time to leave work, get to the game, have some tailgating fun for the football game experience, so many people would have to take vacation time or whatever.

3. Friday nite would not compare to going to a saturday 11 am or 2:30 pm kickoff, beautiful day and weather, devote the whole day to your team, the late saturday PM and nite drive home.

4. Friday nite football bumps into what is usually "pick up" night at the local drinking places, yeah I am old but I still remember what friday nite was for.

5. I always like to leave Kinnick after a 11 AM start time and go with family or friends to a good eatery around Iowa City and watch some 2:30 games while having a nice meal.

What other good reasons are there that this is a bad idea.

Also, if you have games on Friday night, you guarantee that you won't have high school coaches, players, and their families making visits during those games.

Crazy talk. Not as crazy as the guy that coined that phrase on here, but crazy none the less.

This should not happen. Friday night games (or any weekday game) are for conferences that have trouble getting on TV. With the Big Ten Network, the Big Ten does not have any trouble getting all of its teams on TV (although it will get tougher with 2 extra teams). As others have said, this screws with people's work schedules and tailgating schedules.

This should not happen. Friday night games (or any weekday game) are for conferences that have trouble getting on TV. With the Big Ten Network, the Big Ten does not have any trouble getting all of its teams on TV (although it will get tougher with 2 extra teams). As others have said, this screws with people's work schedules and tailgating schedules.

^^ that is the true part.

If you live in really hot areas a night game makes sense and southern teams do it all the time, and lesser conferences and Big 12 teams play night games on the weeknights.

There are some early hawk games that I wish were saturday nights when the 4 pm temp is 100+ degrees.

think about it. your team will probably only play 1 friday game per year. The comments above seem to assume that you, mr fan will have to chose between attending and watching HS vs College every friday. It just aint so.

Keep thinking. Those who suddenly got TV exposure got it big. It makes sense to take advantage of that time slot if the viewership is there - no reason to leave it for conf usa. Let them play at noon on ESPN2. I suspect Friday night is a better time slot.

All that said, I prefer Saturday.

Most of the complaints are about the fans attending the games, so the TV people probably don't care. I agree its frustrating, but it won't be the first time that the TV contracts impacted the stadium experience.

As for Friday night being for conferences that need attention, the NFL somehow thinks Thursday night is a good idea, and lots of people think the NFL can do no wrong.

I'd prefer Saturday 11am for every game. Oh well.

Even if this passes, Kirk is a stick in the mud so Iowa will rarely play in that slot, but I'll get to enjoy other B1G games on Friday night instead of missing them all cuz I'm at Kinnick.

Decreasingly is TV about the fans of a team. Increasingly, TV is about the "national" audience that really doesn't care about much other than the "story of the day" and the national championship. TV money is nice, but it comes with a lot of strings attached.

We as fans don't have a choice in this decision so it doesn't matter. We all know that Delaney wants to be the next in line for the "largest" TV deal when it comes up and if throwing in Friday night games puts more in the pot you know damn well he's going to do it. Like somebody else above pointed out, I don't think you will see a situation where one school has multiple Friday night kickoffs so it should be limited to one for each.

Even if this passes, Kirk is a stick in the mud so Iowa will rarely play in that slot, but I'll get to enjoy other B1G games on Friday night instead of missing them all cuz I'm at Kinnick.

Schools have some say in kickoff times but I think something like this would be different. If the TV contract says each school will have one then Kirk can cry until he is blue in the face.

Absurd...if college goes friday night for $, thus invalidating almost every hs game, the NFL can/will step all over Saturday. Watch out what you do...stay classy B1G, let $EC have those "coveted" fridays.

Latest posts