AZ predictions now annoying

I'm not making any predictions for the season. Although I'm very excited about all the pre-season buzz, I know that it only takes one injury at a key spot to throw the whole season out of whack. Take OSU for example. A running back gets injured early, that puts way more pressure on Pryor, he has interception issues and OSU losses 3 games. It can happen that easily. Having the perfect season is so dependent on luck and staying healthy it is ridiculous. What will happen with Boise State if Kellen Moore goes down?
I'm just along for the ride and with any luck, this season will be just as exciting as the last for Hawkeye Football.:)

Something that some folks are forgetting is that Iowa beat Arizona last year with some of the following issues hurting us too:

- Iowa was without one of its best Ferentz-era TEs (Moeaki)
- Iowa was without one of its best Ferentz-era OTs (Bulaga)
- We had only JUST settled on having ARob and Wegher get the majority of RB-touches (both FR in just the 3rd game of their young careers)
- Calloway had only come back the prior game and had missed plenty of time in fall camp
- Vandervelde played but still was coming off of his injury. Also, due to injury, he missed most all of fall camp.
- DJK and Sandeman were still both coming off of hammy injuries
- The UA game was Prater's first game back from his 2-game suspension. It was also his first career start

All the same, Iowa still dominated the game.

In some respects, it was good that Iowa dominated the game but didn't dominate the scoreboard. As a result, the Wildcats will not enter the 2010 game seething due to an embarrassment from the prior year. For those who recall, that was a HUGE motivating factor for ASU in 2004. They were embarrassed from their '03 performance against Iowa and they wanted revenge.

One thing that some of the superstitious folks out there aren't considering is that the '04 ASU game was Drew Tate's first away game of his career, in a hostile environment, on a big stage. Not only did Iowa's D end up playing with poor technique ... but the O ended up laying a huge freaking egg.

In stark contrast, Stanzi is a wily veteran SR who has led the Hawks to victory in MANY big games in hostile environments.

Another contrasting point is that while the '04 DL was awesome, it also wasn't a very deep unit. The backups really didn't see much of any reps and the few who did see action were RS FR.

Now, when you look at the '10 DL, not only are the starters awesome ... but we also have some talented upperclassmen backups. I'm very confident in what Daniel and Daniels bring to the table for the Hawks. Furthermore, I also anticipate that Iowa will have other guys capable of stepping up in a "next man in" basis.

Lastly, the '04 Iowa vs ASU game featured an Iowa D that was better at stopping the run than defending against the pass. If you look at Iowa's secondary, Paschal was in just his first year as a starter and our CB duo were both rather undersized and slow. Not shockingly, Iowa was rather exploitable against the pass. Anyhow, the '04 game matched the strength of ASU's O versus the weakness of Iowa's D.

In contrast, the '10 Iowa vs UA game features and Iowa D that has a great track record against the pass and is clearly improving against the run. The Iowa CBs are no longer short and slow. The Iowa secondary is now much better equipped these days to execute press coverage when needed. However, more importantly, Iowa's D tackles well. What folks don't necessarily acknowledge about Arizona's O is that it relies heavily upon yardage AFTER the catch. That is precisely something that Iowa's D has been good at minizing. Thus, even if Foles can dink and dunk his arse off ... that still could give Iowa's D plenty of opportunities to get TFLs against the run, sacks, or force a turnover.

While I'll happily concede that the Arizona game is a game that the Hawks could lose ... I also believe that the Arizona game is one that Iowa will likely win. Am I "worried" about the UA game .... sure I am ... but I also get worried about pretty much every one of Iowa's Big 10 foes ....

Very well said homerHawkeye. I find myself agreeing with you a lot.

Iowa will make mincemeat out of Arizona. Hawk fans, take solace in the fact that this is the PAC 10 we're talking about. They don't pay defense. NU's junior high offense hung 33 on them last season, and our D easily shut them out.

Iowa wins 35-3.

Iowa will make mincemeat out of Arizona. Hawk fans, take solace in the fact that this is the PAC 10 we're talking about. They don't pay defense. NU's junior high offense hung 33 on them last season, and our D easily shut them out.

Iowa wins 35-3.

Nah, that won't be the margin. Iowa's O won't trick the UA D like Nebraska's O tricked 'em. Of course, that's par for the course when they're expecting NU's power O and they end up facing the spread instead.

As for how well Iowa's D fares against them ... we'll see. I love Iowa's secondary, but NU's secondary was awfully experienced last year ... and that went a long way to neutralizing the Wildcat O.

I agree for the most part. Which is why I only added it as a variable and not the main reason why we could lose. It carries the same weight as using last season's game as a reason why we will win. My point was that until I see us win a game out west, I will be very nervous about any game played there.

The only way I can see us dominating Arizona is if the game resembles the ISU game last season. With their QB pretty much imploding and turnovers leading to scores. Otherwise, I'm betting on a 17-10 type of score. Stoops will always have a good defense regardless of how many people need to be replaced. That's just something you can always count on.

They gave up 26 ppg last year against BCS schools including 33 to a Nebraska team that was Nebraska's highest scoring game against a team not named Louisiana Lafayette...Arkansas State or Florida Atlantic. Nice try though. There was very little that wasn't bad about their defense last year.

I guess you could give us another cliche and say...well the good news about their defense is that they lost 8 players from a defense that wasn't very good...should give them a clean slate to work with.

The fact of the matter is that they weren't very good last year and most of the guys who will be starting this year weren't even good enough to beat out last year's starters.

We should move the ball well against Arizona and they will struggle to get into the endzone against our defense if they manage to do so at all.

At the end of the day this is a team that I would put on about the same level as Iowa St...someone we should handle easily...that isn't a guarantee but I'm no more nervous about this game than any other game we have against a BCS school this year.

Nah, that won't be the margin. Iowa's O won't trick the UA D like Nebraska's O tricked 'em. Of course, that's par for the course when they're expecting NU's power O and they end up facing the spread instead.

As for how well Iowa's D fares against them ... we'll see. I love Iowa's secondary, but NU's secondary was awfully experienced last year ... and that went a long way to neutralizing the Wildcat O.

If we don't get to count the NU game...how about Washington hanging 36 on them. I'm not saying they're completely worthless...but they were not good by any stretch of the imagination and they should be worse this year.

If we don't get to count the NU game...how about Washington hanging 36 on them. I'm not saying they're completely worthless...but they were not good by any stretch of the imagination and they should be worse this year.

Washington needed some freak bounces to remain in the game ... and ultimately win. Locker is also a top QB on the draft board of many NFL teams ... I think that he played a part in putting a lot of points on UA too.

Arizona was one of the losses I predicted for Iowa this season. History shows us that we don't play well on the west coast. And although Arizona lost some talent, they will still be a quality team.

Although I picked AZ to win, I can see Iowa winning this game. But by no means do I see us mopping them up. It will definitely be a battle.

I don't think Iowa's history is that bad on the west coast, even if you include Arizona as west coast. In Iowa's night games played out west in the past 25 years, I think their record is 4-2-1, with 1 win at Arizona, 2 Holiday Bowl wins, 1 Freedom Bowl win, 1 Holiday Bowl tie and 1 loss each to Arizona and Arizona State. Each of those were true night games. The Rose Bowl is an afternoon game that ends in the early evening. If you include the Rose Bowls, their record is 6-5-1. Of course, this is only important if you believe how a team did 25 years ago (or even 6 years ago) dictates how well this team will do.

The game may be a battle because of Arizona's talent, not because it is played "out west".

If Hawks score 17 points it will be enough for a W.
-Defense gives offense a short field
-Ricky doesn't give up pick 6
-3 headed running game works well in the September Arizona heat

Latest posts