AZ predictions now annoying

If the Hawks don't turn it over, they'll win. Anyone remember how pathetic the Arizona offense looked against Nebraska in the Holiday Bowl (or against Iowa for the majority of last year's game, for that matter)? Ferentz isn't going to have the boys come out slinging the ball over the field. It'll be a methodical, grind-it-out victory, reminiscent of the Arizona and Ga Tech games last year (i.e., scoreboard won't reflect the level to which the Hawks controlled the game). I expect a 21-10 type Iowa victory.

I worry about this one for several reasons
2. It was very close last year

You may want to watch last years game again, then revisit this sentiment. I just watched this game again this morning and the game was anything but close. The Arizona offense was able to muster a whopping 10 points and we flat out dominated the game after the 8 minute mark of the 2nd quarter. A touchdown with less than 2 minutes left made the game seem a little closer. I don't think this game will be easy, but it's not even in my top 3 for games to worry about for the upcoming season.

You may want to watch last years game again, then revisit this sentiment. I just watched this game again this morning and the game was anything but close. The Arizona offense was able to muster a whopping 10 points and we flat out dominated the game after the 8 minute mark of the 2nd quarter. A touchdown with less than 2 minutes left made the game seem a little closer. I don't think this game will be easy, but it's not even in my top 3 for games to worry about for the upcoming season.

I'll second that - the score of that game was much closer to 27-3 than 27-17.

Arizona was one of the losses I predicted for Iowa this season. History shows us that we don't play well on the west coast. And although Arizona lost some talent, they will still be a quality team.

Although I picked AZ to win, I can see Iowa winning this game. But by no means do I see us mopping them up. It will definitely be a battle.
When was the last time we played on the west coast? ASU? what other games? I cant think of any in the KF era. So I dont agree with your "history".

1. They will be ****** about last years game and looking for revenge
2. It was very close last year and were on the road this time
3. Last time we played in AZ we got destroyed and we had a very good team that year, so IDK if the travel is a factor or what but it means something.

Why Im not
1. We played great on the road last year and the fact people are already saying we could lose this one has to **** off the Hawks. They finished last year top 10 and suddenly we can't beat AZ? Well have a chip on our shoulder
2. We lost some players but AZ lost more.
3. AZ is faster then our slow Big 10 team, yet their RB isn't faster then our DE, very curious....

That was an awesome play.

I completely agree. I watched that game again too and it was total domination by the Hawkeyes. I'm expecting more of the same next season.

When was the last time we played on the west coast? ASU? what other games? I cant think of any in the KF era. So I dont agree with your "history".

Well the "history" part is what you should have agreed with. And then you should have disagreed that it had any relevance. Because not counting bowl games, I think Iowa has lost the last 5 games in which we have headed west. But that's going back to '88 and KF has only coached in one of those games.

Still, when you look historically at the Iowa program, we've had some bad trips out west(gets worse when you start talking Rose Bowls).

Well the "history" part is what you should have agreed with. And then you should have disagreed that it had any relevance. Because not counting bowl games, I think Iowa has lost the last 5 games in which we have headed west. But that's going back to '88 and KF has only coached in one of those games.

Still, when you look historically at the Iowa program, we've had some bad trips out west(gets worse when you start talking Rose Bowls).

different coaches, players, teams....etc.....too many variables for that to hold any weight.

Well considering that the Iowa D only gave up 3 points last year, I don't think AZ scores more that 10 points. The other 7 came from a Stanzix. Not worried about this game, that is all!

different coaches, players, teams....etc.....too many variables for that to hold any weight.

I agree for the most part. Which is why I only added it as a variable and not the main reason why we could lose. It carries the same weight as using last season's game as a reason why we will win. My point was that until I see us win a game out west, I will be very nervous about any game played there.

The only way I can see us dominating Arizona is if the game resembles the ISU game last season. With their QB pretty much imploding and turnovers leading to scores. Otherwise, I'm betting on a 17-10 type of score. Stoops will always have a good defense regardless of how many people need to be replaced. That's just something you can always count on.

Well, Iowa demolished ASU in 2003, and we all know what happened @ASU the next year.

I see your point, but this is a completely different team. I think Ferentz and Co. learned a lot from that game against Az St. and I don't expect to see that happen again. I know a lot of people are really concerned about this game, but for some reason it's just not all that worrysome to me. It's just a gut feeling, which I know doesn't mean anything but it's truly how I feel. Let's all hope I'm right.

Most recent West Coast Trips
2004- Arizona State Lost 2-44
1998- Arizona lost 11-35
1994- Oregon lost 18-40
1987- Arizona Won 15-14
1982- Arizona Won 17-14
1977- UCLA Lost 18-34 However game now credits as win UCLA Forfeits
1976- USC Lost 0-55

Most recent West Coast Trips
2004- Arizona State Lost 2-44
1998- Arizona lost 11-35
1994- Oregon lost 18-40
1987- Arizona Won 15-14
1982- Arizona Won 17-14
1977- UCLA Lost 18-34 However game now credits as win UCLA Forfeits
1976- USC Lost 0-55

Come on man, give them some credit...they only lost 44-7, not 44-2. Sadly I was at that one. We left before Iowa got their td...when the crowd cheered, I thought it was ASU getting another one.

This is not an illogical pick. It is one of the games Iowa could lose,no doubt.

1.It will still probably be very hot in the desert at kickoff..we could end up with dehydration issues.

2. Mike Stoops will be seeking revenge and have his team sky high.

3. They will be fast on defense,and that means speed that could overwhelm our rookie o-line...and result in turnovers/picks/ sacks....

4. Foles was starting to pick us apart a bit when he finally got into the game last year...this year he will be entrenched. He is talented.

5. When we have a young o-line, it always seems to take us til october to start operating at a decent tempo on offense.

This is no gimmee...and a possible loss. Like in 2004, we can still come back and win the league,even if we lose this game.

We beat them last year without their best offensive player, and they played a quarterback that never saw another meaningful down for them the rest of the year.

Foles and their offensive is going to give us fits this year. Again, last year we barely beat UNI... barely beat Michigan State, barely beat Indiana, barely beat Michigan, and lost to Northwestern.

We are going out on the road early in the season with a relatively green offensive line. I don't know what Iowa has done in our non-conference Ferentz era that makes ANYONE think that we shouldn't be worried about @ Arizona.

I'd say @ Arizona is a toss up.

Well, Iowa demolished ASU in 2003, and we all know what happened @ASU the next year.

In 2003 we got demolished in the Orange Bowl, but look what happened in 2010. The Ferentz has shown that he learns from past mistakes and I think we will pwn Arizona because of it.

We beat them last year without their best offensive player, and they played a quarterback that never saw another meaningful down for them the rest of the year.

Foles and their offensive is going to give us fits this year. Again, last year we barely beat UNI... barely beat Michigan State, barely beat Indiana, barely beat Michigan, and lost to Northwestern.

We are going out on the road early in the season with a relatively green offensive line. I don't know what Iowa has done in our non-conference Ferentz era that makes ANYONE think that we shouldn't be worried about @ Arizona.

I'd say @ Arizona is a toss up.

Something that some folks are forgetting is that Iowa beat Arizona last year with some of the following issues hurting us too:

- Iowa was without one of its best Ferentz-era TEs (Moeaki)
- Iowa was without one of its best Ferentz-era OTs (Bulaga)
- We had only JUST settled on having ARob and Wegher get the majority of RB-touches (both FR in just the 3rd game of their young careers)
- Calloway had only come back the prior game and had missed plenty of time in fall camp
- Vandervelde played but still was coming off of his injury. Also, due to injury, he missed most all of fall camp.
- DJK and Sandeman were still both coming off of hammy injuries
- The UA game was Prater's first game back from his 2-game suspension. It was also his first career start

All the same, Iowa still dominated the game.

In some respects, it was good that Iowa dominated the game but didn't dominate the scoreboard. As a result, the Wildcats will not enter the 2010 game seething due to an embarrassment from the prior year. For those who recall, that was a HUGE motivating factor for ASU in 2004. They were embarrassed from their '03 performance against Iowa and they wanted revenge.

One thing that some of the superstitious folks out there aren't considering is that the '04 ASU game was Drew Tate's first away game of his career, in a hostile environment, on a big stage. Not only did Iowa's D end up playing with poor technique ... but the O ended up laying a huge freaking egg.

In stark contrast, Stanzi is a wily veteran SR who has led the Hawks to victory in MANY big games in hostile environments.

Another contrasting point is that while the '04 DL was awesome, it also wasn't a very deep unit. The backups really didn't see much of any reps and the few who did see action were RS FR.

Now, when you look at the '10 DL, not only are the starters awesome ... but we also have some talented upperclassmen backups. I'm very confident in what Daniel and Daniels bring to the table for the Hawks. Furthermore, I also anticipate that Iowa will have other guys capable of stepping up in a "next man in" basis.

Lastly, the '04 Iowa vs ASU game featured an Iowa D that was better at stopping the run than defending against the pass. If you look at Iowa's secondary, Paschal was in just his first year as a starter and our CB duo were both rather undersized and slow. Not shockingly, Iowa was rather exploitable against the pass. Anyhow, the '04 game matched the strength of ASU's O versus the weakness of Iowa's D.

In contrast, the '10 Iowa vs UA game features and Iowa D that has a great track record against the pass and is clearly improving against the run. The Iowa CBs are no longer short and slow. The Iowa secondary is now much better equipped these days to execute press coverage when needed. However, more importantly, Iowa's D tackles well. What folks don't necessarily acknowledge about Arizona's O is that it relies heavily upon yardage AFTER the catch. That is precisely something that Iowa's D has been good at minizing. Thus, even if Foles can dink and dunk his arse off ... that still could give Iowa's D plenty of opportunities to get TFLs against the run, sacks, or force a turnover.

While I'll happily concede that the Arizona game is a game that the Hawks could lose ... I also believe that the Arizona game is one that Iowa will likely win. Am I "worried" about the UA game .... sure I am ... but I also get worried about pretty much every one of Iowa's Big 10 foes ....

This is not an illogical pick. It is one of the games Iowa could lose,no doubt.

1.It will still probably be very hot in the desert at kickoff..we could end up with dehydration issues.

2. Mike Stoops will be seeking revenge and have his team sky high.

3. They will be fast on defense,and that means speed that could overwhelm our rookie o-line...and result in turnovers/picks/ sacks....

4. Foles was starting to pick us apart a bit when he finally got into the game last year...this year he will be entrenched. He is talented.

5. When we have a young o-line, it always seems to take us til october to start operating at a decent tempo on offense.

This is no gimmee...and a possible loss. Like in 2004, we can still come back and win the league,even if we lose this game.

Arizona will be fast on D, no doubt. However, Iowa's undersized OL will be very athletic and quick. I don't expect that speed rushers will bug the Iowa OL nearly as much as DLs that are experienced and talented across the board. While UA has very good DEs, they're going to be a good bit greener at DT. That suggests to me that they may end up having difficulty collapsing the pocket from the interior ... and Iowa's OTs will likely be able to direct the speed rushers out of the play.

If UA tries to tap into its speed by blitzing ... then that is also an area where Stanzi will be able to burn them. Of course, that's another reason why the Iowa coaches are seemingly so concerned about the development of our TEs.

Latest posts