Austin Blythe named Freshman All-American

storminspank

Justin VanLaere
IOWA FOOTBALL

BLYTHE EARNS FRESHMAN HONOR

IOWA CITY, Iowa
Scout.com, powered by Fox Sports Next, has named University of Iowa offensive lineman Austin Blythe to its Freshman All-America first team. Blythe is one of five Big Ten Conference players named to the 25-member first team, while two additional players from the Big Ten were named to the second unit.
Blythe (6-foot-3, 275 pounds) is a redshirt freshman from Williamsburg, Iowa. He played in 10 games, while starting nine at right guard. Blythe missed two games in the middle of the season due to injury before returning to the starting line-up for the final five contests.Blythe used 2011 as a redshirt season. He joined the Hawkeye program after earning first team all-state honors as a junior and senior. He was honorable mention on the Parade All-America football team as a senior and was a three-time state wrestling champion.Scout.com named Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel as its freshman Offensive Player of the Year, while Devonte Fields of TCU was named the freshman Defensive Player of the Year.

Good for Austin. With another offseason of coaching and training, he's gonna be a really good one.

looks like the OL will be solid,
Van Sloten 5TH yr senior
Blythe 3rd year SO
Boffeli 5th year SR
Donnal 4th year JR
Scherff 4th year JR
All have starting experience, vs this season where Iowa had just 2 with starting experience
as for Backups with playing time and also who got a couple of starts because of injuries.
Mac Millan 5th year SR
Clark 5th year SR
Walsh 3rd Year SO
Simmons 3rd year JR IWCC JUCO tranfer
that's 9 who have played and/or starting experience, add them to the RB's, TE's and WR's that Iowa has added/returning, all we need is a QB that is better than JVB to manage this team.

looks like the OL will be solid,
Van Sloten 5TH yr senior
Blythe 3rd year SO
Boffeli 5th year SR
Donnal 4th year JR
Scherff 4th year JR
All have starting experience, vs this season where Iowa had just 2 with starting experience
as for Backups with playing time and also who got a couple of starts because of injuries.
Mac Millan 5th year SR
Clark 5th year SR
Walsh 3rd Year SO
Simmons 3rd year JR IWCC JUCO tranfer
that's 9 who have played and/or starting experience, add them to the RB's, TE's and WR's that Iowa has added/returning, all we need is a QB that is better than JVB to manage this team.

And an OC that's better than Davis to manage the schemes.

And an OC that's better than Davis to manage the schemes.

how about we see how the offense does with a full year under his belt at Iowa and the kids adjusting to his style of play.
there were some plays called this season, I had never seen called by KOK.
a flea flicker
a snap to a RB then a backward pass to the QB for a pass down field
there are others as well, people call JVB a bad QB, then say the OC is the problem, then say with a new OC everything will magically be all nicey nice again.
sorry it does not work that way. way to many 1st time starters and way to many young players getting their feet wet, then you have to take injuries to figure in. this team just never got a chance to play as a unit, while the OL was getting used to playing together they went 4-2 including a win over MSU.
after the injuries started to mount, the wins stopped

IOWA FOOTBALL

BLYTHE EARNS FRESHMAN HONOR

IOWA CITY, Iowa
Scout.com, powered by Fox Sports Next, has named University of Iowa offensive lineman Austin Blythe to its Freshman All-America first team. Blythe is one of five Big Ten Conference players named to the 25-member first team, while two additional players from the Big Ten were named to the second unit.
Blythe (6-foot-3, 275 pounds) is a redshirt freshman from Williamsburg, Iowa. He played in 10 games, while starting nine at right guard. Blythe missed two games in the middle of the season due to injury before returning to the starting line-up for the final five contests.Blythe used 2011 as a redshirt season. He joined the Hawkeye program after earning first team all-state honors as a junior and senior. He was honorable mention on the Parade All-America football team as a senior and was a three-time state wrestling champion.Scout.com named Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel as its freshman Offensive Player of the Year, while Devonte Fields of TCU was named the freshman Defensive Player of the Year.

Is that their branding now after the FSN launch fell on its face a couple months back? "Scout.com, powered by Fox Sports Next"???

The derpage is mind-boggling down there.

More importantly, congratulations to Austin.

Last edited:
bu bu bu bu but the Coaches have to go <sarcasm>

let's wait to see what happens with our young & now experienced team. A lot of players like Blythe on this team. A lot of people will be retracting their statements from this year between 2013-2015..... just saying

Just wondering, is Blythe a candidate to move to left tackle after Scherf leaves?

Doubt it very much as he is one that many think will be vying to fill james ferentz's shoes at center. I think it will be a battle between him, boffeli and simmons. Guards you are looking at the 2 guys that lose the center spot competing with donnal and walsh. Tackles I think are pretty locked at van sloten and scherff. With donnal most likely to move to tackle with injuries. This is all based on donnal and scherff coming back fully next year.

Last edited:
Dount it very much as he is one that many think will be vying to fill james ferentz's shoes at center. I think it will be a battle between him, boffeli and simmons. Guards you are looking at the 2 guys that lose the center spot competing with donnal and walsh. Tackles I think are pretty locked at van sloten and scherff. With donnal most likely to move to tackle with injuries. This is all based on donnal and scherff coming back fully next year.

I think he's saying when Scherff graduates

What I would like to see out of both our lines next year: HAWK SMASH!
It would really be nice to see both our lines just rolling next year.
Congrats Austin.

I didn't spend much time focusing on him this year. Apparently someone thinks he did well. On those position scorecard reports did he grade high?

Latest posts