Austin Ash

I'm assuming Ash didn't want to pay another year of college AND sit on the bench. Once one of those two things he didn't want changed, he decided it was worth staying. I'd be very surprised if he was told he will get playing time.
So why announce when he did? I guess my point is that I'd of had no issues with it if he never expressed his desires to leave in the middle of the season. Just still kind of rubs me the wrong way, but great for him.

After reading through some of this I'm wondering how in the hell Fran get's anyone to come to a shitty place like Iowa??? Great, I'm sending my son to hell next fall!

Most of this board is WILDLY misreading this. Fran did not find the missing piece to the puzzle on his own scrapheap. Fran has the team he thinks is ready to compete next year and did not want to bring in another outside, disgruntled portal guy to mess with the team's chemistry. He absolutely had to add Flip as he did not have enough talent in the front court. One guy can be absorbed into the culture. But, if he brings in another guard, he may alienate his existing guys.

JBO was a no brainer. He is already part of the team and culture. Ash was rewarding a hard working walk on that is well liked and not a threat to the existing guys with a schollie for one season. He might get a hot minute here or there, but Fran has his team already, such that it is.
This is spot on. This roster is good to go, unless a real stud falls into Fran's lap, leave it as is with the possibility of a JW return and roll with it.

Ash cast his worm into the portal pond hoping to get a bite from almost anywhere I'm guessing where he would play a big role in his final season. It was nothing against the Hawks, he just wants game time in his last hurrah, what's wrong with that? No one took the bait. Fran was supportive of a valuable scout team player through the whole process and rewarded the kid for his four years of service when another opportunity didn't transpire. Good for both of them.

First off, congrats to Austin. I'm glad it worked out for him.

As far as the feeling he is some kind of consolation prize for not having landed a bigger fish in the portal, I really don't know. I think all of us, no matter where you stand on Fran or the program in general, would have loved to score big in this year's portal lottery. I'm neither a blind Fran supporter nor a hater - I think he has been a great caretaker for the program though, personally, my expectations for us making a big splash nationally under Fran aren't very high (still hoping, just not expecting). I do trust Fran's judgement when it comes to "fit". I have a sense Fran is very picky on the personality and character side.

I hate to break it to you guys, but we lost the unanimous POY with over 20 points a game and a double double every night, his backup center who was also really good, a really good (if inconsistent) shooting guard to transfer, and we’re likely now to lose a combo 3/4 to the NBA draft.

In case you all forgot, that team got themselves a 1-1 appearance in the B1G tourney, and a 40 minute dismantling in the 2nd round.

If you think losing all that and picking up a MAC grad transfer and Austin Ash is gonna equal the ceiling of last year’s team I have a garbage bag full of air I’d like to sell you for $1,000. You guys better start with above .500 first, or you’re gonna have some serious disappointment issues come next March.

1/2 CORRECT! You miss me huh?
Just concerned when you start drunk posting at 9 am that you aren't later driving on the same roads as the public drives on.

You've intox-a-posted more than a few times that you're hammered off Rolling Rock shortly after sunrise at Dave's Place in Eureka, CA.

One side benefit to your posts is that I've self-taught myself how to read Chinese now,

Just to put this in perspective, here's a list of all the guards (point guards, shooting guards and combo guards) associated with the Big 10 who are in the portal along with their ratings from 247 Sports. None of the incoming guards are from Power 5 conferences (except Jamari Wheeler who is transferring within the Big 10), but several of the outgoing guards are going to Power 5 conferences.

Adam Miller 4* of Illinois, Darryl Morsell 4* of Maryland, Jacob Young 4* of Rutgers, Marcus Carr 3* of Minnesota, David Mutaf 3* of Minnesota, Aquan Smart 3* of Maryland, Elijah Wood 3* of Nebraska and Jacquez Henderson of Indiana still have not committed.

Khristian Lander 5* stayed at Indiana, Parker Stewart 3* stayed at Indiana and Izaiah Brockington 0* stayed at Penn St.

Incoming:
CJ Wilcher 4* went from Xavier to Nebraska
Payton Willis 3* went from College of Charleston to Minnesota
Xavier Johnson 3* went from Pitt to Indiana
Fatts Russell 3* went from Rhode Island to Maryland
Jahcobi Neath 3* went from Wake Forest to Wisconsin
Isaac Lindsey 3* went from UNLV to Wisconsin
Tyson Walker 3* went from Northeastern to Michigan St
Jamari Wheeler 3* went from Penn St to Ohio St
Jaheam Cornwall 0* went from Gardner-Webb to Penn St
DeVante' Jones 0* went from Coastal Carolina to Michigan
Luke Loewe 0* went from William & Mary to Minnesota
Jalen Pickett 0* went from Siena to Penn St
Eylijah Stephens 0* went from Lafayette to Minnesota
Sean Sutherlin 0* went from New Hampshire to Minnesota

Outgoing:
Jamal Mashburn Jr. 3* went from Minnesota to New Mexico
Tre Williams 3* went from Minnesota to Oregon State
Armaan Franklin 3* went from Indiana to Virginia
Myreon Jones 3* went from Penn St to Florida
Gabe Kalscheur 3* went from Minnesota to Iowa St
Al Durham went 3* from Indiana to Providence
Trevor Anderson 3* went from Wisconsin to Valparaiso
Walt McGrory 0* went from Wisconsin to South Dakota

Just to put this in perspective, here's a list of all the guards (point guards, shooting guards and combo guards) associated with the Big 10 who are in the portal along with their ratings from 247 Sports. None of the incoming guards are from Power 5 conferences (except Jamari Wheeler who is transferring within the Big 10), but several of the outgoing guards are going to Power 5 conferences.

Adam Miller 4* of Illinois, Darryl Morsell 4* of Maryland, Jacob Young 4* of Rutgers, Marcus Carr 3* of Minnesota, David Mutaf 3* of Minnesota, Aquan Smart 3* of Maryland, Elijah Wood 3* of Nebraska and Jacquez Henderson of Indiana still have not committed.

Khristian Lander 5* stayed at Indiana, Parker Stewart 3* stayed at Indiana and Izaiah Brockington 0* stayed at Penn St.

Incoming:

Outgoing:
Wow

Just concerned when you start drunk posting at 9 am that you aren't later driving on the same roads as the public drives on.

You've intox-a-posted more than a few times that you're hammered off Rolling Rock shortly after sunrise at Dave's Place in Eureka, CA.

One side benefit to your posts is that I've self-taught myself how to read Chinese now,
Fortune Cookies included? Am now at McCarthy's in SLO Town. That is San Luis Obispo. Central Coast of Calif.Weather perfect almost always. Free SURF lessons for fellow Hawks. Am OLD. So lessons will 'talk more' less action.Hot air huh? Go Hawks..Riley Till at school here. Cal Poly

Fortune Cookies included? Am now at McCarthy's in SLO Town. That is San Luis Obispo. Central Coast of Calif.Weather perfect almost always. Free SURF lessons for fellow Hawks. Am OLD. So lessons will 'talk more' less action.Hot air huh? Go Hawks..Riley Till at school here. Cal Poly
Jealous. I would be out there with you in a heartbeat if I could ever convince my wife.

PancAkes !!?’w3!..No? _SEEif noT Golf is has has toNo.if.the Court ToWa!!! No!!>! Hawkss tuff! If YES!!

Some quality - yes. Some experience - yes. Reasons they all want to leave? Still have close friends/relatives, AAU coach, etc. telling them the same thing they've heard since they were 12 - "you'll be a pro" .... reality not quite setting in yet. "You need to go somewhere else, coaching sucks, etc. - it's not you".

All these players have a major "ME" element involved. Fran (and most D-1 coaches) looking for a "WE" element. Fran has always had players very involved in recruiting. Current players have input on recruits and that will continue. This framework doesn't fit the transfer portal recruiting well.

Just as long as burning this scholarship doesn't interfere with the possibility of recruiting a difference maker (meaning that the scholarship is sitting unused next year otherwise, and it sounds like that's the case), then I guess whatever.

Incoming:

Outgoing:
Young from Rutgers would make us significantly better the second he arrived. But I don’t think we could get him...if he were a good fit and we wanted him.

Young from Rutgers would make us significantly better the second he arrived. But I don’t think we could get him...if he were a good fit and we wanted him.
If Rutgers had gone to Young more down the stretch in this years NCAA's they would have knocked his father's former school out and Houston and Kelvin Sampson would never have made the final four.

And as jumbled up as that region was who knows how much further Rutgers would have gone.