Austin Ash

Iowa still has another spot, Jordan doesn't count cause he's a super senior. Also, Fran is willing to pay his kids way and has never shied away from that. Do I think he's bringing in anyone else? No, I don't, but if a really good player wants to come to Iowa, Fran will make room for them.

I'm in the minority but I think Iowa is going to be decent next year. Not a 2 seed, but bubble and possibly on the right side of it.
I think they are bubble as well, but in if Joe W comes back (probably a 7-12 seed). Without him, I lean 1 or 2 seed NIT.

Coming off a 2 seed, a National Player of the Year, and Austin Ash is your placeholder for that scholarship. Doesn't move the needle at all? Not even getting a player on their level? It not shooting for the moon.

I will say this, it probably won't make a difference if we landed their equal in terms of wins and losses for his upcoming year. But, it is still not a competitive move.....unless everyone told Fran no....which I can't buy that.
I don't think having another player on their level is worth it. I get how people think it is tho.

There are two different arguments here. One is should Fran be able to find a player to upgrade our main rotation. He did find one, but I get how people think he should have been able to find another. I just don't think Iowa will ever be in a position where they can get upgraded talent whenever they want. Some years it will work out with one. Some years hopefully two. Some years he will get none. This year he got one. Not really good or bad.

The second argument is should Fran have found a better end of bench player instead of banking the scholarship/ giving it to a walk on. In my opinion it doesn't help enough to justify the bad it could cause with the existing team. Again tho, I see the other side. Especially the "not very competitive" argument. I just think Fran is too loyal for his own good there. It was a conscious decision to not bring in a warm body better than Ash, not an inability to.

I don't think having another player on their level is worth it. I get how people think it is tho.

There are two different arguments here. One is should Fran be able to find a player to upgrade our main rotation. He did find one, but I get how people think he should have been able to find another. I just don't think Iowa will ever be in a position where they can get upgraded talent whenever they want. Some years it will work out with one. Some years hopefully two. Some years he will get none. This year he got one. Not really good or bad.

The second argument is should Fran have found a better end of bench player instead of banking the scholarship/ giving it to a walk on. In my opinion it doesn't help enough to justify the bad it could cause with the existing team. Again tho, I see the other side. Especially the "not very competitive" argument. I just think Fran is too loyal for his own good there. It was a conscious decision to not bring in a warm body better than Ash, not an inability to.
Fair enough. Those are good points and counterpoints to the arguments.

Whether it be for the better or worse, here we are going into year 12 and we just offered a scholly to a walk on player (great Hawkeye teammate) that left for more playing time....probably at a lower division school. It is what it is.

And why do you think last year's team hit their ceiling?
1) Because the Big Ten is not near as tough as everyone thinks in relation to other conferences.

2) We hit it because that was the ceiling of that particular group of players and staff. It’s pretty simple.

It didn’t help having a #2 ranking going into the season and getting every Hawkeye fan riled up with title run expectations.

There's something I really am intrigued by and that's Joe T, Patrick, Keegan, Rebraca with Jbo and Perkins? I don't hate that. I kind of like it. I think it will be a much better defensive unit and IMO, Fran's team's are gonna score. I like how this roster is shaping up. I realize I am in the minority. I don't hate it.
I don’t see Fran diminishing Connor’s minutes or starting role. Not because of the nepotistic angle, either. I genuinely think he feels Connor is the best option at the 1/2. CM is definitely a gamer and he does not turn the ball over, but I like what JT brings over Connor. How long has it been since we had a PG who drove the ball? Gesell was as close as we’ve been in forever.

To be clear I’m much more in favor of the roster you mentioned, with the possibility of Ogundele. That guy is too huge to let him not get utilized. There’s one thing you can’t coach and that’s monster size

Here's my opinion that means nothing in the grand scheme of things. We just added a player on scholarship that was leaving the program due to playing time as a walk on. IMO this has nothing to do with Ash and I'm honestly happy for him. My concern is the fact that he was ready to walk due to a lack of PT and we just brought him back and he's totally on board now.

So again, not taking a shot at him at all, but based on his return I'm guessing available minutes were discussed and influenced his decision to return. Based on what we lost this off season, and the changes to the roster I'm not sure him having a bigger role on the team is a sign of good things to come. That said I guess his hard work and willingness to transfer out of the program earned him a scholarship?

To each his own I guess. I mean, there are pros and cons both ways. It would be wonderful if Fran could get a top flight guy at guard, but he hasn't been able to do it.

But, I do have to think we could do better than Ash with that scholly. But, that is what Fran gets paid the big buck for and is his job to figure out. And, he is rolling with Ash.

As this point, I hope for the best and expect the worse with it.
Expect the worst of what? That he gave a charity schollie to hardworking grey shirt? That's like saying Iowa changed from gatoraid to poweraid, and we are hoping for the best.

Ash will have zero, repeat zero, impact upon success or failure next year.

And, this unicorn transfer from the portal that Fran could not get or did not want to get, well, that's like speculating as to how much the little green Lepricon will help the flavor of your Lucky Charms if you can catch him.....

Most of this board is WILDLY misreading this. Fran did not find the missing piece to the puzzle on his own scrapheap. Fran has the team he thinks is ready to compete next year and did not want to bring in another outside, disgruntled portal guy to mess with the team's chemistry. He absolutely had to add Flip as he did not have enough talent in the front court. One guy can be absorbed into the culture. But, if he brings in another guard, he may alienate his existing guys.

JBO was a no brainer. He is already part of the team and culture. Ash was rewarding a hard working walk on that is well liked and not a threat to the existing guys with a schollie for one season. He might get a hot minute here or there, but Fran has his team already, such that it is.
This.

Expect the worst of what? That he gave a charity schollie to hardworking grey shirt? That's like saying Iowa changed from gatoraid to poweraid, and we are hoping for the best.

Ash will have zero, repeat zero, impact upon success or failure next year.

And, this unicorn transfer from the portal that Fran could not get or did not want to get, well, that's like speculating as to how much the little green Lepricon will help the flavor of your Lucky Charms if you can catch him.....
Not so much Ash, but this is a start of a trend of even poorer recruiting decisions.

This assumes that there was a homerun guard out there that Fran could tell was appreciably better than what he has. Fran sees these kids everyday in practice. I think he believes he has some really good young guards. I have no problem with him trusting his eyes and his instincts on who he has recruited and developed for the last couple years. Not everyone can and should build through the portal. Hasn't worked for Iowa State of late. Hasn't worked for Nebraska yet. We don't bag on KF for not hitting the portal regularly.

Fran develops talent and team chemistry. I am fine with not taking a flyer on a portal guy.
Fran said multiple times that Perkins, Ulis and Kris were ready to play last year but we were just too deep. I bet Fran is far from worried heading into next season. And I’ll go out on a limb and say his goal isn’t.500.

Side Notes - I don’t think JBo comes back to go .500. Don’t be surprised if Ash plays a few spot minutes if we struggle from 3.

What I don't get is that there were a ton of Iowa fans here and elsewhere that truly thought JoeT, Ullis, and Perkins were too good to keep off the floor last season. Many of these same fans were worried that any or all of them would transfer if Grandpa Jordy came back. Now many of them wish that Fran would have recruited a 1 or 2 year player over top of them.

We are either a truly schizophrenic fanbase with some delusions of grandeur or just want to bitch about anything.

What I don't get is that there were a ton of Iowa fans here and elsewhere that truly thought JoeT, Ullis, and Perkins were too good to keep off the floor last season. Many of these same fans were worried that any or all of them would transfer if Grandpa Jordy came back. Now many of them wish that Fran would have recruited a 1 or 2 year player over top of them.

We are either a truly schizophrenic fanbase with some delusions of grandeur or just want to bitch about anything.
JoeT can't shoot and is a turnover waiting to happen, but he is quick.
Ulis and Perkins I have not seen enough of to give a solid grade, but I got to think if these guys where indeed good enough....unless nepotism exists....they would have seen the floor more and would have been heavy contributors.

My guess is it will be a wash because whatever they may bring defensively, they won't equal won't Garza, Joe W, or CJ could do on the offensive end.

Likely a lot of your scoring is going to have to come from KM, JBo, or that Dakota transfer. Maybe Patrick? KM played well above expectations, but will there be a sophomore slump? Can he shoulder more of the weight?

Just would have been nice to add some more tangible players to help out.

Hopefully our guards can contribute more on the offensive end, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Here's my opinion that means nothing in the grand scheme of things. We just added a player on scholarship that was leaving the program due to playing time as a walk on. IMO this has nothing to do with Ash and I'm honestly happy for him. My concern is the fact that he was ready to walk due to a lack of PT and we just brought him back and he's totally on board now.

So again, not taking a shot at him at all, but based on his return I'm guessing available minutes were discussed and influenced his decision to return. Based on what we lost this off season, and the changes to the roster I'm not sure him having a bigger role on the team is a sign of good things to come. That said I guess his hard work and willingness to transfer out of the program earned him a scholarship?
I'm assuming Ash didn't want to pay another year of college AND sit on the bench. Once one of those two things he didn't want changed, he decided it was worth staying. I'd be very surprised if he was told he will get playing time.

JoeT can't shoot and is a turnover waiting to happen, but he is quick.
Ulis and Perkins I have not seen enough of to give a solid grade, but I got to think if these guys where indeed good enough....unless nepotism exists....they would have seen the floor more and would have been heavy contributors.

My guess is it will be a wash because whatever they may bring defensively, they won't equal won't Garza, Joe W, or CJ could do on the offensive end.

Likely your a lot of your scoring is going to have to come from KM, JBo, or that Dakota transfer. KM played well above expectations, but will there be a sophomore slump? Can he shoulder more of the weight?

Just would have been nice to add some more tangible players to help out.
Nepotism, or giving the nod to seniority. There is almost no chance at all this team will have as good of a regular season as the last team. But teams worse than this one have made the sweet 16 so its not like there's no hope.

Good point. People thought our backups were better last year anyway. They sure were better against Oregon. Joe T said Kris is pretty much just as good as Keegan. If that's true, we will be fine next year.

Nepotism, or giving the nod to seniority. There is almost no chance at all this team will have as good of a regular season as the last team. But teams worse than this one have made the sweet 16 so its not like there's no hope.
I will tell you this PC, besides Fran turning the program around in his first few years (which I think has been his best coaching job), if gets this team to the Sweet 16 it will be his best coaching job.

. KM played well above expectations, but will there be a sophomore slump?
I don’t think so. Murray is a guy who’s going to go down as one of the greats in my opinion. He looks almost effortless as far as how smooth he his in traffic. Garza was sheer power down low and he forced guys to be on their heels, but Murray takes what the defense gives him and rolls with it. It looks almost instinctual.

If he’s got a Wagner or Cockburn type shutting the front of the rim down he’s not afraid to go back door with the reverse layup and get fouled at the very least. And he makes it look effortless. That’s where Garza struggles so much against Cockburn because he was out matched physically. He doesn’t have that illusiveness under the hoop like Murray, so he was stuck using that step back jumper which is low-percentage and leads to a lot of defensive rebounds.

I really do think he’s gonna have a huge impact and probably play meaningful pro ball someday. If he can stop fouling so much (Kenyon will help him work that out) and put on a few pounds he could be an NBA guy no doubt.

I don’t think so. Murray is a guy who’s going to go down as one of the greats in my opinion. He looks almost effortless as far as how smooth he his in traffic. Garza was sheer power down low and he forced guys to be on their heels, but Murray takes what the defense gives him and rolls with it. It looks almost instinctual.

If he’s got a Wagner or Cockburn type shutting the front of the rim down he’s not afraid to go back door with the reverse layup and get fouled at the very least. And he makes it look effortless. That’s where Garza struggles so much against Cockburn because he was out matched physically. He doesn’t have that illusiveness under the hoop like Murray, so he was stuck using that step back jumper which is low-percentage and leads to a lot of defensive rebounds.

I really do think he’s gonna have a huge impact and probably play meaningful pro ball someday. If he can stop fouling so much (Kenyon will help him work that out) and put on a few pounds he could be an NBA guy no doubt.
The guy was a stud as a freshman. Hopefully there is no slump, but I could understand why. I agree he could be an NBA guy.