Austin Ash

Good for Austin but I’m not sure this improves the roster. 1200 players in the portal and none of them was a fit? Well at least it’s not someone that’s going to take playing time from the younger guys

That is definitely not a good sign.

Aside from that, does Fran get credit for landing another player out of the portal?
This one is a head-scratcher. I mean JBo has been controversial for many (I welcome him back as a 2 position), but this one makes zero sense. If Ash wanted to stay and work the scout team that is fine. But to waste a scholarship on him? Inconceivable.

Why not? If they couldn't find anyone else for a year and didn't want to mess up the future scholly plans with a multi-year kid. Why sit on it? This way they get to reward the kid and possibly help the kid save face.

Why not? If they couldn't find anyone else for a year and didn't want to mess up the future scholly plans with a multi-year kid. Why sit on it? This way they get to reward the kid and possibly help the kid save face.
If we can't find a guard to come here out of all of those players in the portal we got serious problems.

Should we be in the charity market, or put together the best team we can market?

I do think Ash can make a heck of a scout team player and worse come to worse option if we have to go the end of the bench.

Good for him, but this a dumb move by Fran.

This one is a head-scratcher. I mean JBo has been controversial for many (I welcome him back as a 2 position), but this one makes zero sense. If Ash wanted to stay and work the scout team that is fine. But to waste a scholarship on him? Inconceivable.
Not really a head scratcher at all. It’s an indicator that Fran has struck out finding anyone else available and this is a desperation move to fill out the roster. If you read the Gazette article it was Fran who contacted him to come back.

If there’s no one else willing to come here how is that a dumb move, and what else should he do? Let the scholarship just sit there unfilled?
If this really, really is the case, that we can't find someone, anyone, even of average Big Ten quality, to play in Ash's role........I just find that unacceptable and hard to believe.

If that is true, we got big problems. Ultimately, Fran is suppose to be the guy selling the program.

No he should not let the scholarship sit....he needs to go out and get Big Ten quality guard (even of average quality) in here and give it to them. Work a bit harder Fran. Even get a juco player of D1 quality.

You can't tell me someone does not want to play for Iowa that can play a productive roll at his position.

Giving it to Ash....god bless the kid....is throwing in the towel. imho

You know, maybe you are right. He can't get anyone else. But, that should be a huge red flag (foreshadowing) shouldn't it?

And Mr. Davis was accused of lazy recruiting?

Last edited:
I guess we know which 2 players didn’t get along... I heard Ash could beat anyone in a game of HORSE. That must have really bugged CJ. jk

If this really, really is the case, that we can't find someone, anyone, even of average Big Ten quality, to play in Ash's role........I just find that unacceptable and hard to believe.
We are all homers here, and we’re hugely biased into thinking IC is an attractive place to play and people should want to come here.

But think about it from some college player’s perspective who has no ties or familiarity with the program....

-National POY—gone
-Starting center—gone to Xavier
-Starting shooting guard—gone to Kentucky
-Starting G/F—probably leaving for the draft
-Head coach missed Robbins
-Smallest B10 basketball market other than nebraska
-Snow and 20° all season long with hundreds of miles of corn fields in any direction
-No student section in our home arena
-Zero success in the conference tournament
-No NCAA tourney success beyond 2nd round blowouts and a play-in game ass whooping

I love the Hawks, but take off your rose colored homer goggles for a sec and tell me what’s attractive about this program on the transfer market to a P5 level player above Austin Ash’s skill level, especially this late in the game. These are guys looking to make a splash for (usually) their last year playing ball, not some HS school senior getting promised 4 years of loyalty and tuition.

Iowa is what Iowa is, folks. In today’s world of college basketball this isn’t going to go the other direction any time soon. Football is a different story because our team can be a contender at times and cranks out nfl players like they’re goin out of style, and even lots of pro bowlers. But hoops ain’t happenin’ my dudes. Especially not now that transferring on a whim is legal.

We are all homers here, and we’re hugely biased into thinking IC is an attractive place to play and people should want to come here.

But think about it from some college player’s perspective who has no ties or familiarity with the program....

-National POY—gone
-Snow and 20° all season long with hundreds of miles of corn fields in any direction
-No NCAA tourney success beyond 2nd round blowouts and a play-in game ass whooping

I love the Hawks, but take off your rose colored homer goggles for a sec and tell me what’s attractive about this program on the transfer market to a P5 level player above Austin Ash’s skill level, especially this late in the game. These are guys looking to make a splash for (usually) their last year playing ball, not some HS school senior getting promised 4 years of loyalty and tuition.

Iowa is what Iowa is, folks. In today’s world of college basketball this isn’t going to go the other direction any time soon. Football is a different story because our team can be a contender at times and cranks out nfl players like they’re goin out of style, and even lots of pro bowlers. But hoops ain’t happenin’ my dudes. Especially not now that transferring on a whim is legal.

Man you really know how to cheer up an Iowa fan, lol. Too bad most of everything you said is true but.................... competing for second or third place in the West division doesn't cut it. Throw more money at Kirp.

-National POY—gone
-No student section in our home arena

I don't buy it.....we should be able to get an average guard in here into a Big Ten program.

We may have limits on far we can go in the Dance for one reason or another, but if the bar is being set this low....it isn't even rose colored glasses.....we should be in a better position. This is not an acceptable winning tactic that should be embraced for on-court success. It is a bit more than a participation trophy with some money for a year. Gift-wrapped for a hardworking kid (and by all accounts liked), but is not a Big Ten caliber player. In a game of horse, he could kick your behind, but that is not going to win you Big Ten games alone.

Again, good for him, but this is a coaching decision that should be met with high scrutiny. We should not be making excuses for this.

One theory I read on the other site could be Fran went with Ash to keep the others from leaving and not brining in someone better than them or to keep the son's playing time up. Could be another reason to explain it. Again, I would hope that would not be true.

Last edited:
I don't buy it.....we should be able to get an average guard in here into a Big Ten program.
It's fine, you don't have to buy it. Nebraska fans to this day can't understand why they can't get decent recruits or go to Orange Bowls every year. Your thought process is identical.

Homers can't see the forest for the trees; it isn't unique to Iowa basketball.

...could be Fran went with Ash to keep the others from leaving and not brining in someone better than them or to keep the son's playing time up. Could be another reason to explain it. Again, I would hope that would not be true.
iahwks.jpg