Attrition is killing the Hawks

+1

People's memory is funny. In Hayden's twenty seasons, Iowa finished in the top ten only twice. Iowa finished ninth after the 1985 season & tenth after the 1991 season. Iowa also was embarrassed in all three Rose Bowls.

Except for Evy's last five-years, the eight-year stretch between 2002 & 2009 is the best in Iowa football history. No consecutive eight-year period under Hayden even comes close. We have become spoiled and tend to remember the good old days under Hayden as being better, but they weren't.

You'd never know it reading these boards.

Madison is a lot nicer than Iowa City. I hate typing that, but it's true.

Makes me want to puke, but unfortunately true.

Madison is a better town than IC by about the same magnitude that IC is better than Ames, in my humble estimation.

Speaking subjectively, I'd rather drive staples into my skull using a staple gun than to set foot in Madison...but objectively speaking it's a lot nicer locale.

Thanks for pointing out the double-digit wins thing is largely a function of playing more games. When you only play 8 or 9, it's hard to get those double-digit winning seasons. It's easier when you play 10, 11, 12, 13 or 14. And don't worry-- I've already done the math...

Mr. Harty did a great job on that attrition story. It's shocking, really, that this is the first spotlight to be thrown on this point. Clearly it's a huge factor in success or lack of it.

On another issue, since Iowa cannot cover kickoffs, how about holding an open tryout to find somebody on campus who can kick the ball deep into or out of the end zone on a regular basis? That way you never have to cover a kick, you're less likely to suffer injuries on the play, and you have an edge in the field position battle. It's hard to believe that there isn't ONE person on the Iowa campus who can kick a football far enough to prevent returns. We wasted a scholarship on that Mullings kid from Australia by way of Ottumwa. Has he had a shot at kicking off? He can take all the time he wants doing that and nobody will ever block it. Great use of a scholarship...

To go along with the kickoff thing....

It is a little surprising that out of everyone at the school... there isn't someone that is able to kick it deep into the endzone on a regular basis.

I know our high school always gets a soccer player to handle the kicking duties and it has worked out pretty well for them.
Since Iowa doesn't have a men's soccer team, I would think they could find someone who played soccer to do the kickoffs for them.

Many people say that the same form is used for kicking a football as it is for a soccer ball, and I would have to agree from my experience. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but didn't Ohio St. use a former soccer player as their kicker?

Kirk runs a very tight ship, and a lot of players end up not willing or able to buy into that. There is another team that resembles this: the New England Patriots. Those that do buy in tend to have great success.

Yeah cause the NE team and how they run their offense and defense looks just like Iowa....oh wait nm they don't.

History is repeating itself.

This in nearly identical to all the attrition of younger players Iowa had during the 02-05 run. When all those guys that made that run happen were gone all that was left for 06-07 was marginally talented upperclassmen.

The pattern basically repeated itself 08-10.

The few reaming hold overs will make this season decent, ala 05, but what happens next?

We don't ever want another 06/07 where we were starting guys like Gribsy, Shada, Dalton, ect. Unfortunately we are already starting a few guys of that caliber and a whole bunch of them are on the two deeps.

If you take away the seniors and Rieff from what we saw on Saturday, next year will be a reapeat of 06/07.

Weve had exceptional classes the last two years and allot more than normal are seeing early PT. This is a good sign to me that Kirk realizes he has to get the young talent ready for starting roles ahead of schedule. Kirksy and Morris are already there.

I would be interested to know if we have the worst attrition rate in the conference; why, if so, and if the coaches have recognized it as a major problem and plan to do anything about it.

I suppose a lot has to with how we kick kids out of the programs for minor legal charges (publicly and behind the scenes) while other programs (Dantonio) make a big show about not even punishing players for the same type, or worse, offenses.

I think we are kind of unique these days with trying to keep the "high ground" on the ethical conduct front. For everyone else, it's all about the W's.

History is repeating itself.

This in nearly identical to all the attrition of younger players Iowa had during the 02-05 run. When all those guys that made that run happen were gone all that was left for 06-07 was marginally talented upperclassmen.

The pattern basically repeated itself 08-10.

The few reaming hold overs will make this season decent, ala 05, but what happens next?

We don't ever want another 06/07 where we were starting guys like Gribsy, Shada, Dalton, ect. Unfortunately we are already starting a few guys of that caliber and a whole bunch of them are on the two deeps.

If you take away the seniors and Rieff from what we saw on Saturday, next year will be a reapeat of 06/07.

Weve had exceptional classes the last two years and allot more than normal are seeing early PT. This is a good sign to me that Kirk realizes he has to get the young talent ready for starting roles ahead of schedule. Kirksy and Morris are already there.

I agree with this completely. We could be in a very bad three year stretch. Keep in mind that this years team is not young. We are very experienced in terms of upperclassmen in the two deeps (probably one of the most experienced I can remember). Other than Coker, Alvis, Morris and Kirksey no underclassmen are playing a significant role. If next year is going to be any better some of the younger guys are going to have to make huge strides (especially in the dline) or there is going to have be coaching adjustments in strategy.

I just don't see the talent in the younger freshman or RS freshman to make it happen from a pure talent infusion.

Last edited:
Madison is a lot nicer than Iowa City. I hate typing that, but it's true.
I guess my point is that a kid from a large metro area (like Dallas or Chicago) would think both Madison and IC are "small". I've talked to plenty of people from large cities that moved to Des Moines and think it's a small town with nothing to do. I would think it would be a big adjustment for a kid from a large metro to move to either Madison or IC. Either Madison is the Miami of the midwest, or something else is keeping the kids there. Or maybe more of the kids on Wisky's roster are from the state of Wisconsin and that's why they retain more players.

I agree with this completely. We could be in a very bad three year stretch. Keep in mind that this years team is not young. We are very experienced in terms of upperclassmen in the two deeps (probably one of the most experienced I can remember). Other than Coker, Alvis, Morris and Kirksey no underclassmen are playing a significant role. If next year is going to be any better some of the younger guys are going to have to make huge strides (especially in the dline) or there is going to have be coaching adjustments in strategy.

I just don't see the talent in the younger freshman or RS freshman to make it happen from a pure talent infusion.

Losses in the offensive line for next year scares me. If Rief bolts, could be a huge problem with a not very mobile quarterback.

I think the talent is there in the two most recent classes and again with this up coming one. Where its not is in the 3rd and 4th year classes for the most part due to all that attrition. Thats why we are seeing so many walkons in the two deeps.

We need to see the majority of, McCall, Law, Lomax, Miller, Campbell, Shumpert, Cooper, C. Davis, Raymond, CJF, Hamilton, Sherff, Blyth, Walsh ect, jump the guys infront of them and be ready to start by next year if we are going to keep trying to compete with the upper division.

Id much rather have a mistake prone younger team like we had in 08 than an older one that lacks talent.

I wasn't saying there is not talent in the RS freshman and Freshman classes. But looking specifically at the dline who are the guys that have the talent or even the body to help next year. Cooper, Carl Davis, Raymon and Hardy are about it. Carl Davis is having injury problems but hopefully he steps it up throughout this year. Who knows what is happening with Raymon. I have not heard much buzz on Hardy.

At least 3 of these guys are going to have to be big time contributers next year for us to have a chance at success.

I wasn't saying there is not talent in the RS freshman and Freshman classes. But looking specifically at the dline who are the guys that have the talent or even the body to help next year. Cooper, Carl Davis, Raymon and Hardy are about it. Carl Davis is having injury problems but hopefully he steps it up throughout this year. Who knows what is happening with Raymon. I have not heard much buzz on Hardy.

At least 3 of these guys are going to have to be big time contributers next year for us to have a chance at success.

Agree, so lets hope at least two if not three can become starters. Davis and Cooper have to step up, they have the size right now. Id like to see Davis work his way into a major player this year.

Also Melvin Spears has moved to Dend and McMinn was highly recruited as a D end as well. Jaleel Johnson looks like he has the size to compete right away too.

Agree, so lets hope at least two if not three can become starters. Davis and Cooper have to step up, they have the size right now. Id like to see Davis work his way into a major player this year.

Also Melvin Spears has moved to Dend and McMinn was highly recruited as a D end as well. Jaleel Johnson looks like he has the size to compete right away too.

Spears is about 20 pounds away from contributing at d-end and McMinn is about 50. Spears I hope develops into a pass rusher but it is hard to do when he just moved to the position in fall camp. Even assuming that Cooper and Davis improve and can be solid players next year who is left? Alvis could be good although undersized. Bigach has seen reps but I can't say that I would be excited about him starting next year. My conclusion is we need a Juco linemen. This is not runningback or Wr, very few freshman are good enough their first year on campus to contribute.

First, I can't imagine Madison has too much more to offer than Iowa City, since Madison is about the same size as the Des Moines metro and has a similar climate as IC. So that leaves other reasons. I would guess BB is a lot more lenient as far as player personalities and behavior. Also, since we know Kirk sometimes thinks he's in the NFL, the atmosphere might be too business-like for some of the recruits. Or, it could be that BB is better at evaluating recruits and how they will fit into his system...
You'll get some argument about the Iowa City vs Madison comparison. Madison gets a lot of positive publicity.

I guess my point is that a kid from a large metro area (like Dallas or Chicago) would think both Madison and IC are "small". I've talked to plenty of people from large cities that moved to Des Moines and think it's a small town with nothing to do. I would think it would be a big adjustment for a kid from a large metro to move to either Madison or IC. Either Madison is the Miami of the midwest, or something else is keeping the kids there. Or maybe more of the kids on Wisky's roster are from the state of Wisconsin and that's why they retain more players.

Madison is 5 times larger than Iowa City, and the entire town does not revolve around the school in Madison like it does in Iowa City. Madison is also a town with a vibrant youth culture, an vibrant outdoor culture, and is viewed nationally as a fun place for people to live. It is like the Portland of the Midwest. Also, State Street blows the sorry Ped Mall out of the water.

Latest posts