Athleticism Does Not Equal 'Jumping High'

wundergrape

I've grown tired of people calling this team unathletic.

Agility, speed, strength, stamina, quickness and coordination are all factors in athleticism. We've got a team of excellent athletes.

/rant.

All I've heard about is how long and athletic this team is. Athleticism is about the best thing they have going for them, that and drawing fouls. Who's been saying otherwise?

All I've heard about is how long and athletic this team is. Athleticism is about the best thing they have going for them, that and drawing fouls. Who's been saying otherwise?

I hear frequently from fellow posters about how Woodbury, Jok, Marble, Oglesby and McCabe are "lacking athleticism."

...and whenever we play a team like Villanova all I hear in the build-up is how we won't be able to match their athleticism. This came from announcers, prognosticators, and HN posters.

ok, I will say it since no one else wants to. Athleticism is just another fancy way of saying Iowa does not have enough black players on the team.

It's like how people always compare Aaron White and Jarrod Uthoff to Larry Bird.

Just a horrible comparison.

Aaron White has Lamar Odom's game...Uthoff has Kevin Garnett's.

It's like how people always compare Aaron White and Jarrod Uthoff to Larry Bird.

I am going to go ahead and say this is quite a bit of a stretch. As is anyone saying they have Larry Bird's game. KG was considered one of the best defensive players in the NBA. Uthoff gets pushed around in the paint and so far we haven't seen him play great man up D. Sure he blocks shots. But he does not have the D game, nor the game on the glass as KG. Uthoff's game reminds me more of some of the Euro players in the NBA. Very good shooter, plays a solid zone D, needs a little more toughness on the glass. I see no similiarty to KG other than he is tall, skinny, and both are good teammates.

Not sure about the Kevin Garnett comparison. Relatively speaking, Uthoff has way more of a dribble-drive game than Garnett.

Have you turned over a new leaf or did your account get hacked?

Good post! :D

I believe what my eyes are seeing, not what people are saying or typing on a message board. If you asked some people who the least athletic player on the team is I bet a bunch of people might say McCabe, but for me he is one of, if not the most athletic player on the team. He does more with what nature gave him to work with, that's athleticism to me, doing things that your body-type suggests you shouldn't do.

I hear frequently from fellow posters about how Woodbury, Jok, Marble, Oglesby and McCabe are "lacking athleticism."

Do you think those players are more or less athletic than comparable players on other high major teams? I don't think iowa is unathletic, just like I don't think Georges Niang is unathletic. However they aren't as athletic as a lot of other players/teams. Quite frankly I don't think Iowa State is an especially athletic team.

ok, I will say it since no one else wants to. Athleticism is just another fancy way of saying Iowa does not have enough black players on the team.

This is 100% true. Teams like BYU, Butler, Gonzaga, and Utah are also unathletic teams. Their lack of athleticism has really hampered them in recent years.

Indeed, I think Adam Woodbury is unathletic. Doesn't mean he's bad or that he is lacking a role. But he is not athletic

Latest posts