At what point does Ferentz call O'Keefe back?

The 2006 version of myself just spit out my coffee when I saw this thread. Just considering that we are begging for the good old days when KOK was calling plays is hysterical. Maybe we can see if Jake Christensen has any eligibility left at QB too!

Laughing.

False. Just need to get vertical with passing and find a quarterback who can hit a man-sized object with a football. That doesn’t need reinvention. It needs adaptation which is what Brian doesn’t do.

Complete 60-62% of passes thrown and call 3rd down plays beyond the chains, and Iowa will be in business. Defenses will have to spread out.

With our defense and ST we would be in the catbird seat in the west.
Fry, did we take even one vertical shot down field? If we did, I don't recall it. Lots of outs and hooks. Why wouldn't safeties play up?

False. Just need to get vertical with passing and find a quarterback who can hit a man-sized object with a football. That doesn’t need reinvention. It needs adaptation which is what Brian doesn’t do.

Complete 60-62% of passes thrown and call 3rd down plays beyond the chains, and Iowa will be in business. Defenses will have to spread out.

It would just be amazing if Iowa could occasionally get the ball downfield a bit. Right now, it seems like Iowa is playing against 20 guys because entire defenses are at the LOS. It's really hard to win like that, when you have 9 guys converging on a very predictable runner or pass receiver (who is 3 yards past the LOS). It's really depressing.

You can see it on TV but it's really stark when you are at the games. Teams don't have to respect anything. It's as if the field is only 8 yards long. That's what they defend.

The 2006 version of myself just spit out my coffee when I saw this thread. Just considering that we are begging for the good old days when KOK was calling plays is hysterical. Maybe we can see if Jake Christensen has any eligibility left at QB too!

Laughing.
Petras reminded me of Jake several years ago in a game he played at Purdue. I thought I'd never see such a terrible performance again. Jake threw at the dirt every play. But... Petras was actually worse on Saturday. Granted, Petras also had a putrid O line performance that didn't help him or the RBs at all. Petras needs a competent O line with a runner who can get 4 yards per rush. That didn't happen.

Greg had the same problem. Are we just so lucky to have two OC in a row that had the same challenges.

We're now darn near two complete regulation games bince our last actual TD drive (I'm not counting the one in OT against NU bince we only had to go 25 yards). The defense absolutely played well enough for us to win the game today. But Davis's quick drives that went nowhere and the TO at the Iowa 20 that gave Wisconsin 7 absolutely broke the defense's back.

O'Keefe had a few anemic games when AIRBHG hit us in 2004 and I know his offense wasn't sexy, but I don't know how anyone can defend Davis at this point. I blame every Iowa fan for this offense because you just don't run a guy like O'Keefe out of town.
Man, I haven't thought about AIRBHG in a long time. That was probably my favorite Hawkeye nation subject. That and bubble/shuttle screen/know the game

I don't wish harm on Brian Ferentz, but if Kirk was able to concoct a story about Brian suffering from anorexia and needing to go to a treatment center thereby opening the door for O'Keefe to take over as OC/QB coach for the remainder of the season I sure as shit would not complain.

Unfortunately, some reporter pre-season did an analysis of past Iowa teams and their pass completion %...and there was not a direct correlation that higher % = more wins. Not that simple.
I was very skeptical of BF's preseason talk about 'getting the ball out of the QBs hands quicker' and increase the completion % -- because all that means is that your route trees are closer to the LOS. It was bound to result in more 5 yd passes, tighter pass coverages, and that's exactly what we're seeing. That sort of thing can be successful if you can consistently supplement it with 4-5 yd runs and accurate throws -- but Iowa can do neither with Petras as QB.

Latest posts