At this same time last year, Iowa wasn't ranked.

HawkKing81

...and things worked out pretty well.

I just got back from Arizona. It was a really really tough atmosphere. Arizona's big plays only added fuel to the fire. But Iowa somehow still had a chance to win it. There are a lot of areas of concern, but Iowa will get it figured out.

This will still be a very special year.

I just got back from Arizona. It was a really really tough atmosphere. Arizona's big plays only added fuel to the fire. But Iowa somehow still had a chance to win it. There are a lot of areas of concern, but Iowa will get it figured out.

At this same time last year, Iowa was undefeated . . . just saying.

No reason to give up on hawks just because of one loss. And I agree it can still be a very special year by winning big ten & winning the rose bowl.

Nothing personal 81, but you and others have posted this.

It's apples and oranges and silly to state.

Last year we were a relatively unknown quantity, starting two FR RB's, barely beat UNI, had lost Shonn Green, etc etc. AND we were 4-0.

This year's team is senior laden, won at Wisky, PSU, ISU and MSU last year and then go lay a bigtime egg on national television like they've never played on the road before in a big game.

We're 2-1....and our 10 point drop in the poll says it all.

Saturday night hurt.

Threw away a pretty big opportunity on saturday night I'm not going to try and pull any ISU style stats or outlooks out of that game.

This time last year we had played very well in two games - thumping ISU and beating an OK Arizona team. We played poorly in one, and still beat UNI.

This year we played fairly average against and FBS team and won, played well against ISU and kicked their hinds back to Ames, then played poorly for a half and lost to a good AZ team.

Good thing we have Ball State next. Work on execution, and get ready for the B10 season.

This team can still put together a very nice season - 11-1 or 10-2 are not out of the question.

SDK46

yeah this loss hurt, but this year we are starting two new LB's and also a CB. Now I know you can't compare that to 2 freshman RB's, but those 3 guys were picked on Saturday night. Arizona knew how to keep our DLINE in check, throw short passes and throw in a draw or screen pass. Arizona's Defense was a very sound group, but when they were up 14, their coach threw the entire farm at Iowa. They were stacking 8 or 9 guys in the box and they were wanting Stanzi to throw deep all game.

I remember after losing to ASU, I thought Iowa's season was over and they came back and learned a lot from that loss. I think the OLINE will get straightened out, granted I thought they did good having to go against 8 guys in the box all night long! The defense will def get better, I am guessing NORM is gonna have a few words with the defense. I can bet ya KF is gonna get the Special Teams figured out.

I personally think Iowa will learn a lot from this loss and use it to motivate them. I think this will be Iowa's only loss on the year, They will be able to run the table in the Big Ten, Their schedule is favorable this year and they get some teams a week after bigger games (i.e OSU vs PSU week before us and OSU, Wisky vs OSU week before we play Wisky.) I think Iowa is just fine, I just hope we can get some guys healthy and get back into it. I sure as heck wouldn't want to be ball state this week!

Iowa is not going to be the last top-10 team to lose a game. Wisky, Oklahoma and Florida have looked shaky at times this season, and we all have witnessed the massive collapse of Va Tech.

At the end of the year, there usually aren't more than 1 or 2 undefeated teams left.

Iowa is a good football team. They will get better as the season goes on. Focus on winning the Big Ten and it all shakes out.

I think those who are most disappointed are the ones who thought Iowa would play for the national title. It was a long-shot at best, but that doesn't mean there isn't a lot to play for this season.

Iowa can still take that "next step" ....as some of you mentioned, by playing in and winning another BCS bowl.....preferably the Rose Bowl.

Iowa can still take that "next step" ....as some of you mentioned, by playing in and winning another BCS bowl.....preferably the Rose Bowl.

Right on. Iowa can, despite beating themselves in the desert, still play in back-to-back BCS games. That is the "next step." Iowa has become a respected program, however is not considered a dominant one nor a program that will be top10 every fall. To become those things, getting to a BCS game this year - and then challenging for the Big 10 in JV's first year as a starter - is what is required.

When looking long term, the loss to the Wildcats doesn't mean nearly as much as when looking at the short term.

Check back in a month, and we'll know much, much more about Iowa's national standing and bowl picture. Let's all just hope and pray Iowa is still in the BCS bowl picture then.

Step away from the ledge, it's just one loss

Nothing personal 81, but you and others have posted this.

It's apples and oranges and silly to state.

Last year we were a relatively unknown quantity, starting two FR RB's, barely beat UNI, had lost Shonn Green, etc etc. AND we were 4-0.

This year's team is senior laden, won at Wisky, PSU, ISU and MSU last year and then go lay a bigtime egg on national television like they've never played on the road before in a big game.

We're 2-1....and our 10 point drop in the poll says it all.

Saturday night hurt.

Right on. Iowa can, despite beating themselves in the desert, still play in back-to-back BCS games. That is the "next step." Iowa has become a respected program, however is not considered a dominant one nor a program that will be top10 every fall. To become those things, getting to a BCS game this year - and then challenging for the Big 10 in JV's first year as a starter - is what is required.

When looking long term, the loss to the Wildcats doesn't mean nearly as much as when looking at the short term.

Check back in a month, and we'll know much, much more about Iowa's national standing and bowl picture. Let's all just hope and pray Iowa is still in the BCS bowl picture then.

I don't know how getting whipped, having no rushing game whatsoever, a QB completing barely over 50% of his passes, and an inept Special Teams display is beating yourself. To me AZ exploited every possible weakness they could find.