Assuming Iowa is 6-2 When Michigan Comes to Town ...

jameskalina

... and with 2 home games and 2 away games remaining how probable is it Iowa finishes 8-4 or better?

We reached the half way point of the season where I thought the Hawks would be 3-3 (with losses to Iowa State, Penn State and NW). The Hawks are now 4-2 and that is one win better than I thought. Based on the returns to date and looking ahead here's what I think will unfold in November.

I believe the Hawks will win 2 of the final 4 games and finish 8-4. I think the chances are slightly better than 50 - 50 Iowa finishes 8-4.

I also think Iowa will beat one of the Michigan teams (with Michigan the most probable win) and win one of the two away games (with Purdue the most probable win on the road).

It's not out of the question Iowa could beat any one of the four remaining teams on their regular season schedule, or for that matter lose to any one of the four teams. It should be a very interesting 4 game stretch with a lot to gain along the way for the Hawks.

Yes, I understand there are two Big Ten games the Hawks must play before we enter November, and Iowa could lose to either or both teams. But judging from the returns to date I just don't see Iowa losing to Indiana and/or to Minnesota. Not this year. The Hawks will be 6-2 going into November.

If the first six games of the season teach us anything, Iowa will lose games to teams with "State" in their name and win every other game. 9-3, losses coming against ISU, PSU, and MSU.

Science.

I believe this is one of those years that we are a great home team but bad on the road due to our youth and inexperience. Therefore, I could see us beating Indiana, Minnesota (can't see the Gophers winning a conference game), Michigan and MSU. Our loses to Purdue and Nebraska to finish the season. That still leaves us with an 8-4 record. Just my opinion..

James, have you watched Iowa play Indiana the past couple of years? Iowa has had better teams than this one struggle with Indiana.

Iowa cannot afford to look past anyone. A lesson Iowa State taught us well.

James, have you watched Iowa play Indiana the past couple of years? Iowa has had better teams than this one struggle with Indiana.

Hasn't Iowa had better teams lose to NW as well?

I would think this season so far should have taught everyone that past results has no bearing at all what will happen this year.

My point exactly. To think that Iowa is a "lock" to win any of our remaining games is just ignorant. Time and time again Iowa has lost to a team they are much much better than. Last year was the perfect examples and they should have lost to Indiana too. That dude catches that ball 9 out of 10 times.

Hasn't Iowa had better teams lose to NW as well?

I would think this season so far should have taught everyone that past results has no bearing at all what will happen this year.

Oh ok, so because Iowa beat Northwestern we can just put Indiana & Minnesota down in the win column, got it. I hate to break it to you but this team is not good enough to look past anyone nor can we assume as fans either of these 2 games are sure wins. Remember about 99% of people posting here had Iowa State marked down as wins as well and look how that turned out. If Iowa can lose to an awful team like Iowa State then it is capable of losing to a bad team like Indiana.

We have had trouble with Indiana..but not this year. Their Defense is horrible and they are down to their 3rd string QB. Hawks win this one going away.

Oh ok, so because Iowa beat Northwestern we can just put Indiana & Minnesota down in the win column, got it. I hate to break it to you but this team is not good enough to look past anyone nor can we assume as fans either of these 2 games are sure wins. Remember about 99% of people posting here had Iowa State marked down as wins as well and look how that turned out. If Iowa can lose to an awful team like Iowa State then it is capable of losing to a bad team like Indiana.

If Iowa losses to Indiana they won't win another game the rest of the year. Indiana is a home game and they might even be worse than La-Monroe and are certainly worse than ISU.

This thread just guaranteed Iowa will not be 6-2 going into the Michigan. Remember the thread before the Penn State game about where a 7-1 Iowa team would be ranked going into the Michigan game.

I maybe overly superstitious, but I just don't like threads like this one. They seem to put a jinx on the Hawks. I remember last year when probably better than nine out of ten posters predicted Iowa would go 12-0.

Let's just enjoy one game & one victory at a time. As the saying goes "that's why you play the games."

Indiana and Minnesota are trash. ULM would compete with and maybe beat either of those teams. Iowa will win those games easily.

If the first six games of the season teach us anything, Iowa will lose games to teams with "State" in their name and win every other game. 9-3, losses coming against ISU, PSU, and MSU.

Science.

This is like something I would think of, so it's got to be true. Infallible logic.

I don't think youth and inexperience will play much a role...

I believe this is one of those years that we are a great home team but bad on the road due to our youth and inexperience. Therefore, I could see us beating Indiana, Minnesota (can't see the Gophers winning a conference game), Michigan and MSU. Our loses to Purdue and Nebraska to finish the season. That still leaves us with an 8-4 record. Just my opinion..

in whether or not Iowa wins/loses games.

On offense

Reiff - fourth-year junior, 3-year starter
Gettis - fifth year senior
Ferentz - fourth year junior who has started 19 straight games
Zusevics - fifth year senior who has started 19 straight games
TE - Herman is a 5th year SR, Derby 4th year junior, CJF in 2nd year.
McNutt- 5th year senior
Davis - junior
Coker - sophomore who has started last 8 Iowa games
FB- most inexperienced
Vandenberg - fourth year junior

Defense

Binns - 5th year senior
Daniels - 5th year senior
Nardo - 5th year senior but first time playing much
Daniel - 5th year senior
Alvis - 3rd year sophomore
Morris - sophomore who started 8 games last year
Nielsen - 5th year sr
Kirksey - sophomore
Hyde - junior who has started 19 straight games
Prater - senior, 3 year starter
Bernstine - 5th year senior
Miller - sophomore

More youth on defense, but we are not a "young" team. 10 true freshmen have played but most are on special teams and backups at this point.

Interested if Iowa can progress off the Northwestern game. Just want to get to 6-2 so that November means something with UM and MSU coming to town.

... and with 2 home games and 2 away games remaining how probable is it Iowa finishes 8-4 or better?

If Iowa to 6-2, which I think is likely...

I still think 8-4 is a tough, yet achievable record. I think a split of UM/MSU is likely. A win at Purdue is not easy, but think it can be done. A win at Nebraska is unlikely, but possible.

If you offered me a 8-4 record right now, I would take it. But I also think they could win 9.

I see 7-5. losses to Mich, Mich St and Nebby. Those teams have improved from last year and Iowa has digressed. MSU's D is pretty good and Iowa will struggle with Denard and Martinez. Just look at the ISU game, struggled mightily against Jantz, who is not the QB that either Robinson or Martinez are, with poorer supporting staff.

If Iowa to 6-2, which I think is likely...

I still think 8-4 is a tough, yet achievable record. I think a split of UM/MSU is likely. A win at Purdue is not easy, but think it can be done. A win at Nebraska is unlikely, but possible.

If you offered me a 8-4 record right now, I would take it. But I also think they could win 9.

That's close to how I see it. I think we're probably 6-2 when UM comes in to town. We don't match up well with UM, but Denard has been off-throwing int's- and a pick six could be a big momentum swing ala. Northwestern. I'd say we have three games we'd be probable underdogs in UM, MSU and Nebraska. I like our chances to win one of them, and beat Purdue. If the defense jells(not expecting miracles here just continue to improve) and with Brad Rogers back and Coker hitting his stride maybe we can do more than that.

The MSU-Nebraska game should tell us a lot about who's the division front runner...maybe, with some of the luck that skipped over us last year we can upset more than just one of our remaining top three opponents.

Latest posts