ASSISTANT COACH #3 and Grad Asst will be...

Re: Fine, Pez.

NEWSFLASH for YOU:

Getting Rodell Davis to leave the Big East is not just going to happen because he was a Hawk. He has a great gig at Providence. Where would you rather be as a coach right now? Iowa or Providence. When we take off the black and gold glasses, the choice is 100% obvious. (psst - unfortunately, the answer is not Iowa).

So, if we get Speraw, Francis, and Bowen.

That is much better than any staff we have had in a long time. About 15 years.

And why is that so obvious? In what ways is Providence a better gig than Iowa? Providence was just as bad, if not worse than, we were last year. PC does not have the money or other resources to consistently compete in the Big East.

Re: Fine, Pez.

And why is that so obvious? In what ways is Providence a better gig than Iowa? Providence was just as bad, if not worse than, we were last year. PC does not have the money or other resources to consistently compete in the Big East.

But why would Davis or any other coach go from being a #1 assistant and the salary that comes with it, to the #3 guy at a program at best on equal footing.

Please, not athletic, did you actually watch him play in the NBA, he is very athletic, just not a polished offensive player. You don't stick around the NBA that long if you are not athletic unless you are a centerm or one helluva shot. He was neither but if you talk to other NBA players about him they he is very respected. I will be very happy with him as an assistant coach.........

I said that he is not very athletic compared to other guys in the NBA his size. I stand by that. I have watched him play quite a few times in college and while in the NBA in Denver. You do realize he is the same height as guys like Chris Webber, Amare Stoudemire, etc.....he is not even close to guys like that athletically. He is smart and he works hard and that enabled him to stay in the NBA for 10 yrs.

What is the salary of the three assistant positions? I have not seen any info released on the first two let alone the third.

Since FM stated that each assistant position was equal in responsibility, it is possible that pay would also be equal. Until the salaries are posted we will not know for sure so do not bash the idea without proof...

Our situation is not as bad as some of you seem to want to paint it, yes we are at an all time low, I would look at it from the perspective of what an opportunity to be a part of a major turn around and if successful, the assistant very well could write their own ticket to a head coaching gig if that was indeed their goal...

Last edited:
Speraw is the #1 assistant and Francis is #2, so we are looking to fill a 3rd spot. Rodell Davis is not going to leave his gig in Providence to take a step backward and join the Iowa staff as a #3 assistant. Same with guys like Tracy Webster...he is not going to sign on at Iowa as a 3rd assistant when he is definitely going to be looking for another head coaching job. Kevin Gamble does not have his degree and that is a requirement for the position.

I think the staff in place right now has a good grasp on what it takes to recruit kids. Fran and Speraw have been in the game for a long time and Francis seems to have some nice connections on the east coast. A guy like Bowen would be a nice touch in the developmental area and could grow into a strong recruiter based on his relationships in the NBA.

He has been in the league for 10 yrs and knows hundreds of players and coaches from that time. If he wants to get to know a coach at Mt Carmel in Chicago, he could call up a guy like Antoine Walker and ask him to give the coach a call to open that door. That's just an example, but I think people underestimate how many solid relationships have been built by Ryan in the NBA.

I said that he is not very athletic compared to other guys in the NBA his size. I stand by that. I have watched him play quite a few times in college and while in the NBA in Denver. You do realize he is the same height as guys like Chris Webber, Amare Stoudemire, etc.....he is not even close to guys like that athletically. He is smart and he works hard and that enabled him to stay in the NBA for 10 yrs.

Define athletic... I don't think he is near the leaper as some of those guys and not as strong, but i would be willing to bet that he is as quick or quicker and has better feet and range of motion than some of the above mentioned. Athletic and not athletic get thrown out a lot because someone doesn't have highlite moves or dunks but that doesn't necessarily tell all.

Bowen is vastly under rated as far as athletic ability. He is perhaps the most all around athletic big to come through Iowa in 20 years and that includes guys like Doug Thomas and Reggie Evans.

Latest posts