ASSISTANT COACH #3 and Grad Asst will be...

jparmley3

.....Ryan Bowen and Jeff Horner. (I obviously cannot give 100% confirmation, but feel pretty confident saying those names. They are the most prevalent in conversation pertaining to the topic of assistants)

One guy stabilizes the Iowa recruiting base.

The other guy can tell kids about being a tennis player who became an NBA veteran.

Not a bad combo.

Last edited:
I would imagine that we will all know for sure sometime next week...

There a several good candidates that would make me happy...

Saw Ryan within the past week and he seems to still be in the running (at least). For those who question this move, he is a sleeper. He has had exposure to a lot of good coaches (including Mr. Davis).

With Bowen the real problem with him being an assistant is that he brings little, if anything, to the recruiting side of the job and this is a big shortcoming in a critical area of the job at Iowa, imo. At big name schools like Duke and North Carolina, it would not be a problem but at Iowa, especially right now, it would be the reason I would not hire him as a recruiting assistant at the present time.

With Bowen the real problem with him being an assistant is that he brings little, if anything, to the recruiting side of the job and this is a big shortcoming in a critical area of the job at Iowa, imo. At big name schools like Duke and North Carolina, it would not be a problem but at Iowa, especially right now, it would be the reason I would not hire him as a recruiting assistant at the present time.

I think Bowen brings just as much to the recruiting side of things as any of the former Hawkeyes mentioned outside of Rodell Davis. Instate, I think Bowen will be just as effective as Settles, Gamble, or Murray.

Hope that McCollum (sp? - ex assistant to Speraw at Central Florida and also a previous head coach at Western Michigan) or Tracy Webster (who was not on Oliver Purnell's recently announced DePaul staff) are still in consideration, as the Hawks could use an effective Chicago recruiter.

I think Bowen brings just as much to the recruiting side of things as any of the former Hawkeyes mentioned outside of Rodell Davis. Instate, I think Bowen will be just as effective as Settles, Gamble, or Murray.

What does Bowen bring to instate recruiting??

Oh I think many kids would respond favorably with having a former nba player sitting in their living room.

I agree with Hawkincal........or Thomas out of Detroit Mercy. Fran should look to give the Illini and anyone else a run for their money in Chicago or anywhere else with the guys he has on staff.......recruiting will determine how successful he will be at Iowa and ex-Hawkeyes, other than Rodell Davis, do not fill the need, imo.

Hope that McCollum (sp? - ex assistant to Speraw at Central Florida and also a previous head coach at Western Michigan) or Tracy Webster (who was not on Oliver Purnell's recently announced DePaul staff) are still in consideration, as the Hawks could use an effective Chicago recruiter.

I do not know if either if these are real possibilities, but our staff would be one of the best in the country if it turned out to be so...especially if it would be Webster.

I trust Fran to know what he is doing and what he is looking for in an assistant coach. He might be looking for a teacher with RB (if RB really is the guy) and help him become a recruiter. Maybe Fran is a lot more of a recruiter than Lickliter was and Fran might like to get in the mix a lot sooner and a lot more often. Our bigs could really benefit from a guy like Ryan. Not supporting one candidate over another. Just trusting Fran to know what he wants in a coach, and then going out after the guy who best fits that role. Thinking maybe the staff will be in place when Basabe and others start visiting. Basabe is coming Tuesday, so maybe Monday is another announcement.

We are talking about the third assistant coach here and I don't think Rodell would be interested in that position. Rodell is looking to move up the ladder and 3rd assistant at Iowa does not help him.

I have heard the same talk and am pretty confident that Bowen and Horner announcement will be coming soon.

I think it is a good hire. Bowen has done more career wise than anyone I could have ever imagined. He's a very hard worker and he knows what it takes to develop and make it on the next level. The guy is not very athletic compared to other NBA players his size, yet he stuck around for 10 yrs. I agree that he will have no problem recruiting the state of Iowa given that he is very well known in the state.

Fran is a strong recruiter as a head coach. He and Francis both work very hard at that aspect of the position. Speraw is well known around the country and he is a very good when it comes to experience and in-game decisions. Bowen can help guys like Brommer, Archie and Cougill develop their games. He was very similar to those guys when he came to Iowa.

Horner is a no-brainer if he is interested in GA. He's not far removed from the college game, he had a stint in Europe as a professional and he has a very good understanding of the game.

I will be happy if this is the staff that we have next season.

"Talkinhawks" makes a good point about Bowen

Ryan Bowen has experience in Europe and just may have some recruiting ties across the Atlantic. Horner also played over there, and just may have some insights.

As a first coaching gig I think Bowen would be perfectly fine. Great fundamentals, knows how to improve oneself to make the NBA, and parents would love him.

He is a homegrown kid that has some name recognition and had a successful career as a Hawkeye and more then a cup of tea in the NBA...like I said, as much as any of the other Hawkeyes that have been mentioned if not more.

He can say something like this:

"Hey, (insert name), I know how you feel. I came to Iowa just hoping to get a college degree. I never really thought about being a professional basketball player. But, I left Iowa with degree and an NBA contract. I learned everything I needed to prepare myself for an NBA career while playing at Iowa. If you come to Iowa City, I will personally be there to show you what it takes to succeed in the Big Ten, in the NCAA Tournament, and in the NBA."

We have Speraw already on the staff,and if Horner is the GA,that is plenty of homegrown presence on the bench. If Ryan is chosen,fine, but only if he is the single best assistant candidate available in the country. Only if he can show an ability to out-recruit all the other candidates nationally....we have an Iowa presence, we need a national recruiting presence.

.....Ryan Bowen and Jeff Horner. (I obviously cannot give 100% confirmation, but feel pretty confident saying those names. They are the most prevalent in conversation pertaining to the topic of assistants)

One guy stabilizes the Iowa recruiting base.

The other guy can tell kids about being a tennis player who became an NBA veteran.

Not a bad combo.

Signed,
Todd Brommelkamp?

He can say something like this:

"Hey, (insert name), I know how you feel. I came to Iowa just hoping to get a college degree. I never really thought about being a professional basketball player. But, I left Iowa with degree and an NBA contract. I learned everything I needed to prepare myself for an NBA career while playing at Iowa. If you come to Iowa City, I will personally be there to show you what it takes to succeed in the Big Ten, in the NCAA Tournament, and in the NBA."

Under this scenario he wont be recruiting top players then?

The I worked hard angle, and so can you is really overplayed. I would much rather think he will be telling NBA caliber players that Iowa prepared him to be a pro

Latest posts