As the B10 bracket looks now...

I hate the bracket. Hard to beat a team three times. I’m guessing we lose to Minny. Pray NW somehow beats them.
The reason it is hard to beat a team 3 times is because it's hard to play a team you are better than 3 times. That said, our odds are probably 55/45 based on the entire body of work for the year. If we happen to win, I feel like losing tonight gives us a better chance Friday. That may be superstition talking tho.

Get to Saturday and I am good That should be enough to maintain their projected 5 or 6 seed in the big dance.

1 - NW could beat MN. They’ve played a lot of teams close and finally tasted victory against PSU.

2 - The Wednesday game is at 5:00. The winner plays Iowa approximately 18.5 hours after the game ends. That’s zero prep time and no rest.

3 - Iowa is better than both of the teams we could potentially play. Garza may go for 35. Upsets happen. But it will be a major upset if Iowa loses Thursday.

And we are most definitely on the right side of the bracket. Kenpom ranking...

Our Side
WI 22
IL 30
IA 23
RUT 27
MI 16
MN 29
NW 128

Other Side
MD 11
MSU 7
OSU 8
PSU 26
PUR 24
IN 40
NE 154

And of course there’s the fact we’ve beaten every team on our side. And we’ve lost to every team but OSU on the other side.

Fran has one win in this tournament in 10 years? Maybe 2? I'll take Minnesota against NW and Iowa. I pray I am wrong but I just don't see Iowa making a run here. It seems like this season is right on schedule for a typical Fran season at Iowa. Start off well, work up in the rankings, play lousy down the stretch, lose in the first round of the BTT, squeak by as an 8 or 9 seed in the first round of the NCAAT, get crushed in the 2nd round to end the season, settle in around 20 or 21 wins. Iowa still plays average to poor defense and goes long stretches in games without scoring. The signs were there against Nebraska a month ago but Iowa got away with it because Nebraska isn't good enough to take advantage. You just can't do this game to game and expect great results.

Get to Saturday and I am good That should be enough to maintain their projected 5 or 6 seed in the big dance.
I agree.
Win game 1.
Revenge on Illinois.

And I’m okay with that.
Big10 has just gone through a conference war.
I’m not expecting to survive through a second one.

Fran has one win in this tournament in 10 years? Maybe 2? I'll take Minnesota against NW and Iowa. I pray I am wrong but I just don't see Iowa making a run here. It seems like this season is right on schedule for a typical Fran season at Iowa. Start off well, work up in the rankings, play lousy down the stretch, lose in the first round of the BTT, squeak by as an 8 or 9 seed in the first round of the NCAAT, get crushed in the 2nd round to end the season, settle in around 20 or 21 wins. Iowa still plays average to poor defense and goes long stretches in games without scoring. The signs were there against Nebraska a month ago but Iowa got away with it because Nebraska isn't good enough to take advantage. You just can't do this game to game and expect great results.
You might have set a new record on the amount of wrong in one post.

Hawks need to win the whole B10 tourney. Really need the confidence going into the big dance & an improved seed. Didn't play anywhere near 100% on the road yesterday & almost pulled it out. State Farm Center was rocking. Hawks have shown that they can play with anyone in this conference (minus PurDont) + neutral court. Go Hawks!

It really is alarming the amount of low basketball IQ that comes on this board. Astonishing sometimes. I don't know dick and I freely admit it but I do know how to use Google.

I really wish he was right and Nebraska wasn't good enough to take advantage of it.....

You might have set a new record on the amount of wrong in one post.
The part about Iowa playing average to poor defense is definitely accurate. I’d argue there was as much poor defense as there was average yesterday. What’s frustrating is you would think as the season wore on we’d get better at defense not worse, and I’m not sure you can say our defense is getting better.

I hate the bracket. Hard to beat a team three times. I’m guessing we lose to Minny. Pray NW somehow beats them.

Other than winning and getting the double bye, it couldn't be a better bracket for us. We're a combined 7-2 against all the teams on our side of the bracket. So I'm pretty happy with where we ended up.

The part about Iowa playing average to poor defense is definitely accurate. I’d argue there was as much poor defense as there was average yesterday. What’s frustrating is you would think as the season wore on we’d get better at defense not worse, and I’m not sure you can say our defense is getting better.

Iowa is capable of playing stretches of good D, they did yesterday. Really came out focused. They are also capable of playing some really poor D. Extremely inconsistent. Biggest concern to me is boxing out and offensive rebounding. Sometimes it feels like effort. I felt that way against Purdue. But yesterday they came out firing on D. Didn't feel like effort. Iowa is giving up a lot of height and weight trying to run what they want to run. But that's kind of out of necessity. If you're best option to bring off the bench is Cordell, who clearly runs hot and cold as far as how much his head is in the game, that makes it tough. I feel like it's hard to judge this season too harshly with considering what their roster makeup is at this point. It kind of is what it is at this point and this team is limited. Iowa is limited. It sucks, but what else can we do at this point? Hope for a good draw, get some breaks and hope Joe W shows his head again.

Iowa is capable of playing stretches of good D, they did yesterday. Really came out focused. They are also capable of playing some really poor D. Extremely inconsistent. Biggest concern to me is boxing out and offensive rebounding. Sometimes it feels like effort. I felt that way against Purdue. But yesterday they came out firing on D. Didn't feel like effort. Iowa is giving up a lot of height and weight trying to run what they want to run. But that's kind of out of necessity. If you're best option to bring off the bench is Cordell, who clearly runs hot and cold as far as how much his head is in the game, that makes it tough. I feel like it's hard to judge this season too harshly with considering what their roster makeup is at this point. It kind of is what it is at this point and this team is limited. Iowa is limited. It sucks, but what else can we do at this point? Hope for a good draw, get some breaks and hope Joe W shows his head again.
We need Joe Wieskamp to be the Brody Boyd of Dean Oliver’s senior year for this BTT.

Illinois scored 9 points in the first 4 minutes of the game which would put them on pace for 90. Iowa’s defense was atrocious early and for most of the 1st half. We lit it up on offense to build the lead.

Iowa ranks 98th in adjusted defensive efficiency this year, they ranked 111th last year, and 242 two years ago. At what point are we going to be allowed to judge our defense?

Illinois scored 9 points in the first 4 minutes of the game which would put them on pace for 90. Iowa’s defense was atrocious early and for most of the 1st half. We lit it up on offense to build the lead.
Lighting it up on offense is how we win. I hope we light it up for another 10 games this season.

Latest posts