As my first post, I’ll start a game thread for Sparty.

I'm not seeking a QB controversy just want the cupboard not to be bare if Petras gets hurt or gets the covet, this is basically exhibition now anyway.

So, our next wins will be Nebraska and Illinois? Losses to Minn, PSU, and Wiskey? Will our record be 3-5 or will we find another game that we can put it all together?

So, our next wins will be Nebraska and Illinois? Losses to Minn, PSU, and Wiskey? Will our record be 3-5 or will we find another game that we can put it all together?
This team can win any of those games if the game plan is in place. Credit Brian for having a game plan to neutralize the MSU pass rush. The defense is playing really well, the pass rush is coming. Minny is not last years team, PSU doesn't look as good either. Wisconsin at home will be the toughest but Iowa's got to beat them sometime. Iowa has improved every game. The Aussie kicker and Jones are the real deal.

As a former QB In small town Iowa that never passed my assessment of Petras is....he was fine.
He just needs to fine tune that short pass, his throws give the receivers more time to catch and turn but those deflections are gonna happen. Today they deflected Iowa's way so it wasn't noticeable.

Gotta agree that the D did an excellent job. We're not going to catch anyone else off guard the rest of the year. I think Minny still looks good, but our best game to steal is PSU. We'll likely win NE and Ill, but that's about it, imo.

Gotta agree that the D did an excellent job. We're not going to catch anyone else off guard the rest of the year. I think Minny still looks good, but our best game to steal is PSU. We'll likely win NE and Ill, but that's about it, imo.
Wisconsin is a dumpster fire right now. I think we have a shot to go 3-0 against MN, NE, ILL. Could get WI, could get PSU. “Huck dreams on...”

Wisconsin is a dumpster fire right now. I think we have a shot to go 3-0 against MN, NE, ILL. Could get WI, could get PSU. “Huck dreams on...”
I would say not Minnie, but I thought PSU would wake up. Maybe they won't. l Like our chances against PSU.

I'm not seeking a QB controversy just want the cupboard not to be bare if Petras gets hurt or gets the covet, this is basically exhibition now anyway.

Petras was markedly better but he still needs to dial it back, especially if he's going to throw high or behind the receiver. I counted at least 3 that should/could have been complete but were too hot. The ricochet to B Smith would end up as an INT most of the time. That was pure luck (and great awareness by B Smith. He just keeps getting better.)

For whatever reason Iowa made this look like one of those cupcake non-conference games at the beginning of the season. If things continue to develop I give Iowa a puncher's chance or better against anyone left this year, even Wisky.

Petras was markedly better but he still needs to dial it back, especially if he's going to throw high or behind the receiver. I counted at least 3 that should/could have been complete but were too hot. The ricochet to B Smith would end up as an INT most of the time. That was pure luck (and great awareness by B Smith. He just keeps getting better.)
There was a at least 2 more times that B Smith was not the intended receiver - but he cut his route short just to be around in case of the tipped ball. 3 things with that comment - the QB never goes off the primary target - and all the receivers know it - and the DBs know it.

There was a at least 2 more times that B Smith was not the intended receiver - but he cut his route short just to be around in case of the tipped ball. 3 things with that comment - the QB never goes off the primary target - and all the receivers know it - and the DBs know it.

I dunno, you may be reading a bit much into it. I can't imagine a WR actually positioning himself in advance for a tipped ball. Nobody plays for something that happens maybe once or twice in an entire game.

Last edited:

Latest posts