As good as it gets

NCHawker

Well folx, this week Iowa is the topic of every podcast. Herbstreet goes on a long sequence about the Hawkeyes in his podcast, all the other podcasts are talking about this game and the hawkeyes. There are no shortage of articles too. People talk glowingly about the Ferentz, the culture of the program, the city, the stadium. Even Cowherd had nice things to say. I have not seen this since 1985.

Since this isn't going to end with a national championship it will end harshly sooner or later, so enjoy it while it lasts. I hope the Iowa train keeps rolling as long as possible. Remember that people on line will scream and cry 'over rated', but that's just comes with the territory.

Go Hawks whip Penn State!

Since this isn't going to end with a national championship it will end harshly sooner or later, so enjoy it while it lasts.
Excellent take.

This board is going to completely melt down to the ground if we lose or dog forbid get blown out.

People need to realize that dreams of nattys and B1G championships as long as OSU is a thing are fools errands. Enjoy it and learn to say whatevs when it comes to an end.

I like our chances to beat Penn State but wouldn't surprise me we have a let down somewhere down the line. It happens to every team. Melt down will only happen if we play conservative and sloppy football. I don't see that happening, but you never do.

I'd like to see a good showing by Iowa about as much as I want the win. Top five showdowns involving Iowa are so rare, it would be a damn shame to not make a game of it. Enjoy while you can. If they win, go crazy.

1633579053973.png
Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Oh, I'm afraid Penn St will be quite operational when your Hawkeye Team arrives at Kinnick.

1633579309457.png

Oh Shit, we might as well just pack it in. ;)

I have a feeling we:
- beat PSU
- later lose an upset game
- win the West
- get stomped by OSU in the championship
- hopefully get a favorable bowl match-up so we have a chance to end on a high note

I'd be happy with that. I'd also gladly take more!

I have a feeling we:
- beat PSU
- win the West
- hopefully get a favorable bowl match-up so we have a chance to end on a high note

IF we beat PSU, the only team that worries me is Wisconsin. Sure, we could lose to any of the teams, but most of our Achilles' heels just aren't out there.

NW's defense stinks due to huge losses from graduation, and they don't have a QB that can keep drives alive on his own.

David Bell is still at Purdue, but even with Bell last year we dominated the game, only losing due to 2 fumbles, a ton of penalties, being down 2 LBs, and mistakenly trusting Julius Brents over Merriweather (all errors that were rectified by the start of our winning streak). This year Purdue is worse. I suppose we could run into horrible luck again, but that seems like a low-probability loss.

Minnesota lost by far their best WR to graduation, and they lost their top RB to injury. I think Parker has figured out their RPO attack. I am more worried about them than NW or Purdue, but only by a little.

Illinois is still Illinois.

Until we rip off a long string of victories against Wisky, it is just hard to see them as an easy out. Their D is probably close to ours, but their O is terrible. I really think anything could happen in that game. Another convincing win would sure feel good, though.

I am going to reserve all judgement on Nebraska until after their game with Michigan.

NW's defense stinks due to huge losses from graduation, and they don't have a QB that can keep drives alive on his own.
NW is always going to be dangerous as lots as Fat Titzgerald is coaching there. We should've beaten them every time they've beaten us in the past decade.

David Bell is still at Purdue, but even with Bell last year we dominated the game, only losing due to 2 fumbles, a ton of penalties, being down 2 LBs, and mistakenly trusting Julius Brents over Merriweather (all errors that were rectified by the start of our winning streak). This year Purdue is worse. I suppose we could run into horrible luck again, but that seems like a low-probability loss.
I don't think you can judge anything by last year whatsoever. That season can just be wiped off the map as far as correlation to this year.

Excellent take.

This board is going to completely melt down to the ground if we lose or dog forbid get blown out.

People need to realize that dreams of nattys and B1G championships as long as OSU is a thing are fools errands. Enjoy it and learn to say whatevs when it comes to an end.

Iowa will never win a Natty because the programs in the SEC are funded like professional sports franchises.

I have always contended the real goal is to win a conference championship, which is difficult but possible.

Excellent take.

I can easily see Iowa losing a close low to mid scoring game. Trying to get my head around how Penn State would run up the score on Iowa in this. The most plausible scenarios involve Penn States defensive rush blowing past Iowa's offensive line like it wasn't there (Michigan 2019), a large number of Iowa turnovers, or key injuries.

Up to date we haven't seen Petras freeze up or start lobbing multiple interceptions. Only part of the Michigan 2019 debacle was on the offensive line. Stanley was pretty much a frozen target out there. I don't see a Christian McAffre type playmaker on the Penn State team. Sean Clifford isn't a Andrew Walter type quarterback picking apart Iowa in the best game of his life either.

I could see Iowa losing 27-10 if Penn State blows up Iowa's offensive line, plays a clean game, cashes in on a few turnovers, wins the punting game, and gets some production out of their receivers. Iowa hasn't scored less than 20 in a game since Petras took over at QB. Some of that scoring is defense, but completely shutting down Iowa would be quite a accomplishment. Exposing Iowa's defense on multiple drives would also be an accomplishment.

Well folx, this week Iowa is the topic of every podcast. Herbstreet goes on a long sequence about the Hawkeyes in his podcast, all the other podcasts are talking about this game and the hawkeyes. There are no shortage of articles too. People talk glowingly about the Ferentz, the culture of the program, the city, the stadium. Even Cowherd had nice things to say. I have not seen this since 1985.

Since this isn't going to end with a national championship it will end harshly sooner or later, so enjoy it while it lasts. I hope the Iowa train keeps rolling as long as possible. Remember that people on line will scream and cry 'over rated', but that's just comes with the territory.

Go Hawks whip Penn State!
And this is why national rankings matter at this time of year.

Since this isn't going to end with a national championship

The way things look right now Iowa would have to pretty much win out, win the Big 10, then beat Bama and Georgia in back to back games. I agree winning a national championship is a very low percentage possibility, 5 % or less. But it could happen. If the hawks could get into the CFPlayoffs, then a few tipped balls and INTs with great play, a few fumbles and mistakes by the opponents, the untimely penalties by opponents, a serviceable running game by the hawks, great special teams which the hawks have been doing, and an above avg passing game with receivers making a ton of great catches.

A lot would have to go Iowa's way or the hawks make their own good fortunes. I wouldn't say it can't happen. We see a whole ton of college basketball games, final 4 games where a pretty steep underdog beats a highly seed favorite.

I mean Stanford just beat Oregon. and there are college football upsets many times and Iowa has done many of them. I do think that Sabin has seen so much in his years that with the athletes he has he prepares around the possibility of an upset, almost always.

But if the hawks were to play Georgia in a semifinal after Georgia lost to bama in the SEC Champ Game, I think the hawks would have a 25% chance or even more of beating them. The a championship against bama is a 10% or less chance of beating them. Dont say never.

Last edited:
The way things look right now Iowa would have to pretty much win out, win the Big 10, then beat Bama and Georgia in back to back games. I agree winning a national championship is a very low percentage possibility, 5 % or less. But it could happen. If the hawks could get into the CFPlayoffs, then a few tipped balls and INTs with great play, a few fumbles and mistakes by the opponents, the untimely penalties by opponents, a serviceable running game by the hawks, great special teams which the hawks have been doing, and an above avg passing game with receivers making a ton of great catches.

A lot would have to go Iowa's way or the hawks make their own good fortunes. I wouldn't say it can't happen. We see a whole ton of college basketball games, final 4 games where a pretty steep underdog beats a highly seed favorite.

I mean Stanford just beat Oregon. and there are college football upsets many times and Iowa has done many of them. I do think that Sabin has seen so much in his years that with the athletes he has he prepares around the possibility of an upset, almost always.

But if the hawks were to play Georgia in a semifinal after Georgia lost to bama in the SEC Champ Game, I think the hawks would have a 25% chance or even more of beating them. The a championship against bama is a 10% or less chance of beating them. Dont say never.
ESPN Playoof predictor, should Iowa lose this weekend and win the BTCG, has Iowa at a 79% playoff member and 7% Natty winner if they win the rest of their games.

With 0 losses, the natty percentage goes to a whopping 8%.

So Saturday truly does not matter, guys.

Pressure's off.

Edit:

Even with losses to PSU and Wisconsin, a win in the BTCG gives 1/4 odds to make the playoffs and a 2% chance to win the natty.

That's way better than the beginning of the year.

ESPN Playoof predictor, should Iowa lose this weekend and win the BTCG, has Iowa at a 79% playoff member and 7% Natty winner if they win the rest of their games.

With 0 losses, the natty percentage goes to a whopping 8%.

So Saturday truly does not matter, guys.

Pressure's off.

Edit:

Even with losses to PSU and Wisconsin, a win in the BTCG gives 1/4 odds to make the playoffs and a 2% chance to win the natty.

That's way better than the beginning of the year.
The data looks good. But I am a basket case with visions of losing a close one to PSU.

I'm planning on the Hawks winning tomorrow, and since my seats are close to the field I'm looking forward to rushing the field after the big win, even tho I'm 63 yrs old -- makes me feel young again, ya know. Problem is, the dude I'm going to the game with weighs around 300 lbs -- not sure how he's gonna handle that 5 ft jump from the stands!
After rewatching the 2017 epic PSU/Iowa game, interesting that those teams were only ranked #10 and #17, respectively, and this year's teams are #3 and #4, while it seems to me that both 2017 teams were better than this year's teams.

I have a feeling we:
- beat PSU
- win the West

If I had $ willing to bet that's exactly what it feels like it could be. Even if we win tomorrow this team is capable of losing to Purdue or even God Forbid Nebraska. Their game against Michigan will be interesting. There's no shortage of nail biters the rest of the way. But if we get that we sure as hell shouldn't be wildly disappointed with it.

Latest posts