Article on Cougill and Playing Time...critcism

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Cougill sits while Hawks spin wheels

It will be interesting to watch Cougill the rest of the year...folks up that way are starting to chirp a bit.

As we have seen in recent Iowa basketball seasons, roster turnover is a killer. Iowa cannot afford to have any more of it on Lickliter's watch. I don't have anything from anyone with official ties...just back chatter. However, that sort of things happened with Horner and Brunner too ;)

Jon, what did Cougill really do to impress us? I mean I have no hard feelings, he is a freshman, but he was struggling with the pace of play. I know he can shoot the perimeter shot but he needs to hustle back and get under the glass.

Sorry, but a so-called "columnist" whose entire column is regurgitating message board posts and then commenting on them is the lamest thing I have ever heard.

I have read more enciteful commentary on the politics troll forum than this column.

I did not believe Cougill was a Big Ten player when he was in high school. I saw him play on four occasions in high school and he labored at times to get up and down the floor. I am not knocking the staff for signing him because you never know how he will develop, but to think he was Big Ten ready was not realistic.

I hope he makes a serious effort to get in shape and continues to work on his game. I don't know if he will ever develop but he does have the height and hands to play if he can improve in other areas.

First off, I'm with Ghost. He should have just linked to the message board for that "column."

Second, ouch. The only comment:
siouxcity mom said on: January 19, 2010, 8:49 am

You don't think that with the season going the way it has, that the coach wouldn't play him if he thought he was the savior that you think he is. He's slow, he can't jump and he's the last one down the court. I swear his feet are 5 seconds behind the rest of his body. The only thing he's good at is providing a screen, and that is not going to help this team.

Jon, what did Cougill really do to impress us? I mean I have no hard feelings, he is a freshman, but he was struggling with the pace of play. I know he can shoot the perimeter shot but he needs to hustle back and get under the glass.

I think he'll be fine. Look at Fuller, he was riding the pine, now all of a sudden he is playing and contributing in a major way. People were 'chirping' about him too.

That was worthless. Mustve really been hurting for an angle if he decided to go the route of calling out message board posters

The chirp isn't about whether he's good enough to play now, it's about whether he should be getting valuable minutes on a team that clearly isn't heading to any post-season tournament.

This kid needs to be getting double digit minutes every game. How in the hell does anyone think he is going to get better if he doesn't log minutes? And please don't come at me with practice time because that clearly is just a lame line of reasoning.

A wise man once said to me, practice makes permanent not perfect.

That was worthless. Mustve really been hurting for an angle if he decided to go the route of calling out message board posters

Agreed. Here I thought the article would actually be more about Cougill and the basketball program. Waste of a couple minutes of my life.

That article was basically nothing but a long-winded, name-calling session directed at negative message board posters.

The column is wrong for another reason. He said that Cougill is only competing with Fuller and Cole and everyone else is under 6-6. That is obviously not true as Brommer has clearly beaten out Cougill in Lickliter's opinion and is getting double digit minutes.

I don't know what to think here. I know Cougill showed promise early in the year and appeared to be making strides. I do think he has struggled lately in limited minutes. Like with Fuller I think the coaches are misusing him by not getting him in the high post and see if he can either make an entry pass or hit a 15 foot shot. I think the lack of playing time has affected his effort in the limited minutes he does get.

Cougill has had some injury/illness issues, too. Even with that, however, his is just another example of a subsitution/player development pattern in which I have a hard time seeing consistent logic.

Fuller was hurt. Slight difference.

did you not read the article? it said he had a hurt back, etc. my point being that these same chirpers were saying the EXACT same thing about Fuller, guessing that he was really not hurt, but in the doghouse. maybe cougill is hurt too, per the article reference??

speaking of hurt backs, how's yours?

did you not read the article? it said he had a hurt back, etc. my point being that these same chirpers were saying the EXACT same thing about Fuller, guessing that he was really not hurt, but in the doghouse. maybe cougill is hurt too, per the article reference??

speaking of hurt backs, how's yours?

HA, i obviously did not read the article...nor did I realize BC was even hurt. My apologies...guess it shows how little I've been paying attention to Iowa hoops. I noticed his playing time was limited but figured it was more of him hitting the wall as a freshman.

Funny you ask about my back. It has been fine for 3 years (since i had surgery in 06)...then Saturday the darn thing started bothering me off and on and has been sore since. I am working from home today so i can rest and ice it and already seems to be helping a ton, thankfully. What was your previous handle, I assume this is a newer one?

HA, i obviously did not read the article...nor did I realize BC was even hurt. My apologies...guess it shows how little I've been paying attention to Iowa hoops. I noticed his playing time was limited but figured it was more of him hitting the wall as a freshman.

Funny you ask about my back. It has been fine for 3 years (since i had surgery in 06)...then Saturday the darn thing started bothering me off and on and has been sore since. I am working from home today so i can rest and ice it and already seems to be helping a ton, thankfully. What was your previous handle, I assume this is a newer one?

good news about your back. the thing about back surgery, is that while it will usually clear things up, it doesn't clear the things up that led to the bad back to start with. Old habits die hard, and tend to lead to the same old back problems down the road. my handle was this one, imported, and at some time, I gave you some tips to help with your back, for long term success. Been there, done that, but have never given in to surgery.

Cougs needs to get healthy and get on a conditioning/weightlifting program in the off-season. His biggest problem is rebounding/positioning. The other seems to be conditioning and maybe his health issues contribute to both. He can shoot from 3 point area but hasn't shown the ability to creat shots in the paint. Would like to see him get more playing time but right now Fuller, Brommer and Cole are more effective in the interior, although Jaryd needs to step it up a little.

the kid looks like someone who would have benefitted from a redshirt year. He has some good skills for a big guy but needs to get stronger.

The least the writer could have done is had a discussion about how difficult the coaches system is to learn.

How bad is Cougill's back injury. I don't recall anyone really discussing the injury. All I have read is that he has an 'injury.' What kind of injury does he have?

I can't believe that "column" even passes as journalism with an editor, or another writer for that matter.

Latest posts