ARob's mom speaks

Interesting!! I do doubt that KF allows him to return. That said Adam Robinson in his 2 short years at Iowa took a major beating and KF and his staff should take that into consideration.

I do think concussions are not handled properly at the college level. Look at Justin Morneau with the Twins. He suffered concussion and missed almost what 4 months of the season last year. They have started pre-season and they say Justin still isn't 100% ready. Closing in on a year since the concussion..

College programs need to better monitor head injuries.

Last edited:
he was cited for possession of marijuana not smoking it. two concussions is a lot and one more hit and it could be over.

A. No way Adam rejoins the team now.

B.Yes college students smoke pot, but not a lot of them are Big 10 athletes. and im sure some Big 10 athletes smoke, but they arent out driving around with missing lights a couple weeks after ur best player got kicked off the team for it.

Wasnt there people saying that Ferentz wasnt happy that Adam went to the media about rejoining the team? He is probably belligerent right now.

I hope ARob is still on scholarship. Maybe ARob could be brought in as a waterboy -a reminder... not the Adam Sandler type of waterboy. Because of concussion consequences from previous physical contact, no one should consider allowing ARob to rejoin the team in physical contact until all his concussion symptoms are gone. If that's never, so be it. IMO, mama would agree with that. IMO, Iowa's football program will have more to fear from litigation if ARob was allowed to return too soon rather than if he were completely removed from physical contact.

Great, another controversy for the Iowa football program that some Iowa hater will try to pounce on.

Iowa's football program suffered a lot of adversity last year.
For example, DJK, ARob, Parker. The way they lost games.

This year. Rhabodo.

I salute the coaches and players who stepped up and held the program together.

Go Hawks. When is the spring practice scrimmage?

Last edited:
There was plenty of speculation at the time, on this board, about Adam's concussion being associated with his "all of a sudden" academic problems. To take it like this is coming out of left field is just plain revisionist history.

Seriously people, Iowa did milk everything they could out of this kid. He gave his heart and his body to this team, when it really, really needed him. He got his brains bashed in for it and it really didn't look like the coaches were overly concerned with his physical health. Otherwise, why leave him in to get his brains bashed in at the end of a blowout? (This also was talked about with some vigor on this board.)

Seriously, something happens in the off-season on this board. It just turns ugly. I guess it might be because only the bleed Black and Gold crowd would be talking about football in March, but can't we just resist from bashing a kid that really bailed out our program with his gustsy play over the last two years?

Also, after the whole Rhabo thing, can't we just maybe take into consideration that there could be room for improvement in how the team deals with player health? Perhaps we could look back and wonder what Kanellis would have been able to accomplish if they kept him away from contact a bit more after his first concussion.

These are all reasonable discussions. To just jump to demonizing anyone who might raise these concerns smacks a bit too much as an MSNBC or FOX mentality for my taste.

Last edited:
There was plenty of speculation at the time, on this board, about Adam's concussion being associated with his "all of a sudden" academic problems. To take it like this is coming out of left field is just plain revisionist history.

Seriously people, Iowa did milk everything they could out of this kid. He gave his heart and his body to this team, when it really, really needed him. He got his brains bashed in for it and it really didn't look like the coaches were overly concerned with his physical health. Otherwise, why leave him in to get his brains bashed in at the end of a blowout? (This also was talked about with some vigor on this board.)

Seriously, something happens in the off-season on this board. It just turns ugly. I guess it might be because only the bleed Black and Gold crowd would be talking about football in March, but can't we just resist from bashing a kid that really bailed out our program with his gustsy play over the last two years?

Also, after the whole Rhabo thing, can't we just maybe take into consideration that there could be room for improvement in how the team deals with player health? Perhaps we could look back and wonder what Kanellis would have been able to accomplish if they kept him away from contact a bit more after his first concussion.

These are all reasonable discussions. To just jump to demonizing anyone who might raise these concerns smacks a bit too much as an MSNBC or FOX mentality for my taste.

Great post Caar..

I also think it's sad on how some people on this board talk about those players that got in trouble. How quickly they forget what they did for the program.

Great post Caar..

I also think it's sad on how some people on this board talk about those players that got in trouble. How quickly they forget what they did for the program.

You have some good thoughts Caar, but you do a little assuming as well. There's no indication that the coaches negelected ARob. This is football. Injuries and physical pounding are part of the territory. I can't believe they would knowingly put a kid in harm's way...especially when it's out there for everyone to see. Keep in mind, ARob may have under-stated his condition in an effort to stay on the field. Drs can't diagnose everything 100%, they also rely on what the patient reports.

There are somewhere between 250-300 former players that played and trained under Ferentz and Doyle. They almost universally praise the way they've been treated...both as players and as people. If there was an ongoing pattern of "abuse" or "neglect", we'd have heard about it by now.

I do agree though, that people are a little quick to turn on guys. ARob gave 100% for the Hawks. Then he made a stupid mistake (or two), and he's probably not going to be back on the team. That's punishment enough, there's no joy in talking him down further.

His Mom, on the other hand...

Last edited:
His mom may have valid points, but she has got to stop if she respects her son's wish of rejoining the Iowa football program. What purpose does it serve to respond to some random person who wrote a letter to the editor? I know she is trying to defend her son, but she is doing him a disservice at this point. Adam apologized and said he is trying to move forward, and that's how it should have ended. I can't imagine that Kirk would be thrilled to see this continually revisited in the media.

You have some good thoughts Caar, but you do a little assuming as well. There's no indication that the coaches negelected ARob. This is football. Injuries and physical pounding are part of the territory. I can't believe they would knowingly put a kid in harm's way...especially when it's out there for everyone to see. Keep in mind, ARob may have under-stated his condition in an effort to stay on the field. Drs can't diagnose everything 100%, they also rely on what the patient reports.

There are somewhere between 250-300 former players that played and trained under Ferentz and Doyle. They almost universally praise the way they've been treated...both as players and as people. If there was an ongoing pattern of "abuse" or "neglect", we'd have heard about it by now.

I do agree though, that people are a little quick to turn on guys. ARob gave 100% for the Hawks. Then he made a stupid mistake (or two), and he's probably not going to be back on the team. That's punishment enough, there's no joy in talking him down further.

His Mom, on the other hand...

Not with concussions drummer. A Dr. that can't diagnose a concussion should be fired immediately. The only thing the a Dr. rely's on from a player with a concussion is what 1 + 1 is.

Believe me guys, I am very sensitive to co-dependence issues with respect to substance abuse. In fact I believe it was a large factor in my father dying of drug addiction. Adam's mom's response may in fact just be co-dependence, but I think she brings up some valid points for discussion and she is about the only person who has this kid's back.

Excellent post.

Latest posts