Argument for people who say we have an '80's offense

Watching Oregon/Washington playing for PAC 12 title.
Completely different game than Iowa plays.

Last edited:
One assistant coach explains 1985 - Bill Snyder - When he left IC in 1988 for KSU that was a big loss for Hayden Fry and Iowa. My wife had an uncle that was clued in to a degree and he insisted Snyder was the brains behind Iowa's success. I'm pretty sure that Snyder's abilities exceed any Iowa OC since he left in 1988.
Yes his abilities exceeded all of the following coaches combined.

I don't care what kind of offense they run. I just want one where it feels possible they can score a touchdown I'd they have to. And score them seemingly at will against bad teams. Over the course of 25 years, it has always been this way..with the exception of a handful of years. And, at worse, there was always solid and measurable improvement (or better) in the season following any "bad" year. Until recently.

I believe in complimentary football. I believe in Kirkball. Especially for a school like Iowa in a state this size, with another FBS school in state. I believe it can still work. I would rather have 8-4 teams that occasionally go 10-2 than 6-6 or 5-7 teams on the regular.

I do believe the "game" is different. Not the Xs and Os. The "game" of how you construct your team through NIL/recruiting/portal. That is the key adaption to make.

What? I don't see any Nick Bell's out there. Our running backs hit something and go down not run over it! ;) Gimme some players from the 80's. We could use a Marv Cook right about now.

To be fair, Nick Bell was out of this world in that respect. I've told the story before. I was a senior in college. Hanging out at a friend's watching a preseason NFL game. As college kids in the 90s...the TV was hooked up to a cabinet speaker with the screen missing.

Bell takes the ball and crashes into a guy so hard...the sound was dramastic. I absolutely remember seeing the diaphragm on the speaker absolutely quake out of the corner of my eye. Enough that I noticed it in my peripheral vision.

To be fair, Nick Bell was out of this world in that respect. I've told the story before. I was a senior in college. Hanging out at a friend's watching a preseason NFL game. As college kids in the 90s...the TV was hooked up to a cabinet speaker with the screen missing.

Bell takes the ball and crashes into a guy so hard...the sound was dramastic. I absolutely remember seeing the diaphragm on the speaker absolutely quake out of the corner of my eye. Enough that I noticed it in my peripheral vision.
They used to have those mics different and you used to hear those sounds more. The coverage isn't the same as it was then. Not just no more Keith Jackson's and Ron Franklin's but the sounds and the graphics and the sideline reporters asking better questions instead of being pretty. Remember nothing on the screen but the game till they flashed the score?

They used to have those mics different and you used to hear those sounds more. The coverage isn't the same as it was then. Not just no more Keith Jackson's and Ron Franklin's but the sounds and the graphics and the sideline reporters asking better questions instead of being pretty. Remember nothing on the screen but the game till they flashed the score?
No doubt...but there's a two things I find terrifying in sport.
1. Having to fight Mike Tyson in his prime.
2. Trying to tackle Nick Bell.

No doubt...but there's a two things I find terrifying in sport.
1. Having to fight Mike Tyson in his prime.
2. Trying to tackle Nick Bell.
mike-tyson-punch.gif

1701540971822.png

Latest posts