Argument for people who say we have an '80's offense

okeefe4prez

We don't. In 1985, Chuck Long tossed 26 TD passes in 12 games. Going back to the start of the 2021 season, a span covering 35 games, we have 24 TD passes. With Lachey and All out it will be tough to get to 26 by the end of this season. Can we get a full 3 year span where we play 40 or 41 games and have lower TD output than Long had in '85?

One assistant coach explains 1985 - Bill Snyder - When he left IC in 1988 for KSU that was a big loss for Hayden Fry and Iowa. My wife had an uncle that was clued in to a degree and he insisted Snyder was the brains behind Iowa's success. I'm pretty sure that Snyder's abilities exceed any Iowa OC since he left in 1988.

One assistant coach explains 1985 - Bill Snyder - When he left IC in 1988 for KSU that was a big loss for Hayden Fry and Iowa. My wife had an uncle that was clued in to a degree and he insisted Snyder was the brains behind Iowa's success. I'm pretty sure that Snyder's abilities exceed any Iowa OC since he left in 1988.
well yeah, he's a HOF coach, his abilities exceeded more than just Iowa's OC spot.

It is a late 90’s, early 2000’s, Mike Shanahan offense that Kirk and KOK couldn’t figure out how to evolve it moving forward. Hence, where we are now.

It is a late 90’s, early 2000’s, Mike Shanahan offense that Kirk and KOK couldn’t figure out how to evolve it moving forward. Hence, where we are now.
That and a heavy dose of New England's TE heavy packages. Interesting that the Patriots have never drafted one of out tight ends.

That and a heavy dose of New England's TE heavy packages. Interesting that the Patriots have never drafted one of out tight ends.

Marv Cook got drafted by the Patriots. I think the guys they would have wanted were off the board by the time they picked most years. I'll be they wish they would have taken Kittle, though.

Marv Cook got drafted by the Patriots. I think the guys they would have wanted were off the board by the time they picked most years. I'll be they wish they would have taken Kittle, though.
Marv Cook that's correct. I should have specified Belichick era Patriots.

I wish the sports media would / could craft the questions in such a way that Kirk would for once be perfectly candid about his view and philosophy around offense. He is always vague and awe shucks its just the way we're built. or pointing out inexperience, injuries etc.

I want to know if his scheme is based on his belief about the kind of players he can realistically attract.

I want to know if he just has an incurable blindspot about evolving the passing game

Has he considered that injuries and attrition is just part of the game and if so...is this scheme the easiest for less experienced and less talented players to master?

Does he just have low expectations for offensive scoring?

I'm tiered of speculating and making inferences about what he thinks.

I want to know what he thinks!

I wish the sports media would / could craft the questions in such a way that Kirk would for once be perfectly candid about his view and philosophy around offense. He is always vague and awe shucks its just the way we're built. or pointing out inexperience, injuries etc.

I want to know if his scheme is based on his belief about the kind of players he can realistically attract.

I want to know if he just has an incurable blindspot about evolving the passing game

Has he considered that injuries and attrition is just part of the game and if so...is this scheme the easiest for less experienced and less talented players to master?

Does he just have low expectations for offensive scoring?

I'm tiered of speculating and making inferences about what he thinks.

I want to know what he thinks!
Me too... But we probably won't get candid answers to direct questions about that. Maybe after he's retired... But not now

We don't. In 1985, Chuck Long tossed 26 TD passes in 12 games. Going back to the start of the 2021 season, a span covering 35 games, we have 24 TD passes. With Lachey and All out it will be tough to get to 26 by the end of this season. Can we get a full 3 year span where we play 40 or 41 games and have lower TD output than Long had in '85?
I wish we had some semblance of Iowa's offense in the 1980"s. Most of those years were fun games to attend as the Hawks put up some big numbers most games.

I wish we had some semblance of Iowa's offense in the 1980"s. Most of those years were fun games to attend as the Hawks put up some big numbers most games.
I would be thrilled with an offense that resembled the Beathard and Stanley teams.

Our offense looks like all the players played in the 80's
What? I don't see any Nick Bell's out there. Our running backs hit something and go down not run over it! ;) Gimme some players from the 80's. We could use a Marv Cook right about now.

1701465661626.png
Iowa's offense is more like 1929 than the 1980s by far. Shit if our offense was more like the 1980s.....it would be more like this:
1701465776937.png

Ok, maybe that is more Miami or Nebraska......but you get the idea......80s had more pep in our step.

Latest posts