Arena Football League Abolished

Northside Hawk

Reported that it will file for bankruptcy.

It began operations in 1987 and may be most famous for launching Kurt Warner's career.

I never much cared for the league and, if anything, found it potentially more dangerous than the NFL.

Anyone have fond memories of Arena Football, attend games, etc.?

I went to a few arena games in Cedar Rapids a few years ago. I found it extremely boring and a waste of my time on a Saturday night.

I've been to the QC Steamwheelers a few times. It's a good party, cheap beer, scantily clad cheerleaders. On field product was OK.

Orlando Predators were "champs" several different times. And with all the "records" and "stats" their stud guys put up, not one ever made the NFL, although Barry Wagner did get several looks.

Basically, it was guys who just didn't quite have it for NFL. Still, entertaining to go see, and it gave me a football "fix" in the off-season.

It began operations in 1987 and may be most famous for launching Kurt Warner's career.

I never much cared for the league and, if anything, found it potentially more dangerous than the NFL.

You mean the main Arena Bowl League? I know there are knock off arena leagues, comparable to minor league arena ball. Was it one of them? If was the league that started in 1987, they've had a long an great run. Unprecedented. Most "pro" leagues don't last long. They had a good market and different market than the NFL.

b4f57fe55427dea2a307730b7b4ba1ee.jpg

very cool helmet design

b4f57fe55427dea2a307730b7b4ba1ee.jpg

very cool helmet design
Long time ago for Father's Day I took my Dad to a Barnstormers game to watch Kurt Warner beat Orlando something like 56-54 or so. Last second win, crowd was crazy loud - great time! We sat right behind the bench, which was front row on the 25-yd line, dead center - which meant our toes were occasionally hitting some player's shoulder pads. The bench was real cramped so the players would set their helmets down right in front of us, between our feet cause there was little to no room on the bench.
I'll never forget the three HS kids right behind me and Dad, who soon as the game was over and everybody was standing up cheering, they reached from the row behind me and snatched one of the WR's helmet and ran out!
Then the WR (forget his name) looked up at me as if I was hiding his helmet somewhere. I told him I saw some kids grab it and he dropped some major F-bombs and ranted how that was gonna cost him $200.
So somewhere on somebody's shelf is a Barnstormer helmet with one helluva story.

League for guys that weren't ready to grow up yet. The level of fan that attends these games always fascinated me. WWF and stock car race, beer tent crowd. Not a big loss. There is a market for usfl type (traditional football) if supported by the nfl in lower tier cities like AAA baseball towns

Latest posts