Are you Iowa's biggest fan?

As a kid growing up in Birmingham, Ala., I was hooked on college football the day Auburn blocked two punts with less than 5 minutes left in the game and returned them both for touchdowns to beat #2 Alabama 17-16 in 1972.

Like everyone else who was not in Legion Field that day, I had to rely on the radio broadcast or newspaper accounts the follow day to find out what happened. As anyone can tell you who grew up in that era normally only one football game was televised a weekend – in the entire country – and despite both Auburn and Alabama being ranked in the top 10 in 1972 that classic game was not televised.

There were regional telecasts some weeks, but mostly we would get games involving football powers of the day like Nebraska, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, and USC. But we never saw teams like Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Purdue or Iowa.

For a kid who could not get enough college football, and with only one game each Saturday on TV, it meant I was left with a little clock-radio in my room to keep up with Auburn or Alabama or any other team. Some nights we could get the Tulane game broadcast out of New Orleans when the atmospheric conditions were right.

But then I found radio station WHO at 1040 on the AM dial. The signal wouldn’t still be there in the morning when I woke up but it was almost always there on Saturday nights in the fall.

That’s how I was introduced to Iowa Hawkeye football. I can still hear Jim Zable’s voice describing the game. It was several years later before I learned that Iowa suffered through 19 consecutive losing seasons during part of the time I was listening. He made every play sound like it was a 30-yard run and every game sound like it was for the national championship.

I was confused at first because the game was being played so late in the evening, but then I learned that the game I was listening to was being re-broadcast from earlier in the day.

It’s hard to explain to kids today what it was like before the internet or even cable TV. I would sometimes fall asleep listening to Zable and wouldn’t know if the Hawkeyes won (the games would last to well after midnight). All I had to go on was the scores listed in the Sunday paper in small type that would say: Minnesota 12, Iowa 10. That’s it. No other details were available. There was no ESPN to turn to for highlights.

It wasn’t until later while in college at Auburn that I saw Iowa play live on TV. Of course that was after Hayden Fry arrived and turned the program around. It was great seeing the Hawkeyes with their yellow and black uniforms with that awesome logo on their helmets on TV and getting to see what Kinnick Stadium really looked like. The 1985 Michigan game is one I will always remember.

After college I had dreams of traveling the country watching college football games at all of the locations I never got to see on TV – like Washington State, Oregon State, Northwestern and Arizona – and writing a book about the places and the people. But life, marriage and five kids put that on hold.

The University of Iowa Hawkeyes were always at the top of my dream list. Sure, now I watch them play on TV every week (the Michigan win was the highlight of the 2016 season for me), but there’s nothing like watching a college football game being played on campus.

My other hobby is antique and vintage automobiles. Occasionally, I get to fly somewhere and drive one home. About 10 years ago I flew to Rochester, Minn., and drove a 1957 Mercury Monterey back to Alabama and stopped in Iowa City for a couple of hours. I took a “selfie” with the statue of Nile Kinnick. It was in late October and it was during the middle of the week, so there was no way to catch a game that day. I told myself if the opportunity ever arose again that I would make sure it worked out to see a game.

Fast forward to last month: I bought a 1969 AMC Rebel with a four-speed in Blaine, Minn., just north of Minneapolis. The first thing I did was to check the Iowa football schedule. Perfect! The Hawkeyes host the Wyoming Cowboys on Sept. 2. A plane ticket has been bought and my adventure begins Aug. 31 with the flight to the Twin Cities. That evening, I will watch the Minnesota Golden Gophers in their home opener against Buffalo.

From there, I am thinking about driving to Madison for the Badgers’ Friday night game against Utah State and then coming to Iowa City (driving through the night with a couple of hours of sleep in the car) for the 11 a.m. kickoff Saturday. No matter what, I will be in Iowa City Saturday morning, Sept. 2.

Part of my plan from 30-plus years ago was writing a book about my travels to college campuses across the country and watching football games with each of the teams’ biggest fans. It would be a way to see what traditions, rituals and experiences each fan base goes through each fall Saturday. I’ve done it at Auburn, and I’ve done it at Virginia Tech (I lived in Blacksburg, Va., for a while). I’ve been to games at stadiums across the country, including every SEC stadium except newcomer Missouri, but that was as a fan of the opposing team.

I never thought deeply about how I would locate the biggest fan because I never got that close to actually doing it. But in this age of immediate social media, I figure it’s just a matter of putting it out there and letting the forces go to work. So, here it is:

Do you think you are the biggest Iowa Hawkeye fan? Why do you think you are the biggest fan? Are you willing to let a fellow from the South tailgate with you before and after the game Sept. 2? Will you provide a ticket to the game and talk about your memories of great games from the past?

There are no guarantees I’ll ever finish the book, but Iowa is a great place to start it.

No I'm not Iowa's biggest fan. But my first experience at Kinnick was pretty cool. Iowa was ranked #1 playing against Michigan St. I'm 5 years old. I seriously did not sleep the night prior to the game because I was so excited. So when we get to our seats, I quickly discover that I'm way too short to see over the dude in front of me. So I watched the game on top of my Dad's shoulders. I nearly toppled over backwards twice when he stood up to see a big play. Anyways Chuck Long naked bootleg in the last minute to win the game and Dad took me down to the field to walk on the AstroTurf which felt like cement.

It's one of my earliest childhood memories and undoubtedly on the short list of memories that will be on my mind on my death bed.

Is this the same guy who pretended last year to be a Bizon fan who watched the Iowa NDSU game?

I would have to give the nomination for biggest fan to DeanVogs who frequents here. He defends the Hawks up and down.

With Zabel, you couldn't tell who was winning anyway as every play no matter the score was life and death. I enjoyed listening to the late rebroadcasts.

Is this the same guy who pretended last year to be a Bizon fan who watched the Iowa NDSU game?

I would have to give the nomination for biggest fan to DeanVogs who frequents here. He defends the Hawks up and down.

With Zabel, you couldn't tell who was winning anyway as every play no matter the score was life and death. I enjoyed listening to the late rebroadcasts.

Like many others I grew up listening to him. The ultimate Voice of the Hawkeyes and eternal optimist

No I'm not Iowa's biggest fan. But my first experience at Kinnick was pretty cool. Iowa was ranked #1 playing against Michigan St. I'm 5 years old. I seriously did not sleep the night prior to the game because I was so excited. So when we get to our seats, I quickly discover that I'm way too short to see over the dude in front of me. So I watched the game on top of my Dad's shoulders. I nearly toppled over backwards twice when he stood up to see a big play. Anyways Chuck Long naked bootleg in the last minute to win the game and Dad took me down to the field to walk on the AstroTurf which felt like cement.

It's one of my earliest childhood memories and undoubtedly on the short list of memories that will be on my mind on my death bed.
Great story. I love the way college football fans mark time by the big game's their favorite team played in and hopefully won.

No, I am not the "guy who pretended last year to be a Bizon fan." Born in Alabama and live in Tennessee. Auburn graduate and fan. Iowa is my second-favorite team going on 40 years now. Just excited to see my first game in Kinnick Stadium.

I am a big fan of course not the biggest ever. My first game in Kinnick was 1957 or 58 as I was 5 or 6. I have season tickets again this year so that is 60 years of watching, listening, and reading about the hawks. When I was young and it was Fall we played and helped with yard work until 1 pm when it was time for a great lunch and listen to the hawks on radio. As the OP mentioned I remember Iowa not even being on TV for nearly two years even though conferences tried to get most teams on TV each year.

I have been a big fan through thick and thin like many of my friends and others my age. I have seen most games at Kinnick since 1973 missing only a handful it seems. And road games are great. I view my home games in the fall added together as another week of vacation being a fan and doing a hobby.

No, I am not the "guy who pretended last year to be a Bizon fan." Born in Alabama and live in Tennessee. Auburn graduate and fan. Iowa is my second-favorite team going on 40 years now. Just excited to see my first game in Kinnick Stadium.

I hope you enjoy the game, the atmosphere, and a win.

The particular line/sentence that jumped out at me--and remember, I was damn near solid REM sleep toward the end of the post--was, "Will you provide a ticket to the game...". WTF? Make us read all of Psalms and half of Proverbs just to get a free game ticket to see Wyoming?

It's got Burt Lancaster (from "Elmer Gantry") all over it.

The particular line/sentence that jumped out at me--and remember, I was damn near solid REM sleep toward the end of the post--was, "Will you provide a ticket to the game...". WTF? Make us read all of Psalms and half of Proverbs just to get a free game ticket to see Wyoming?

I was too blurry eyed by then to catch the ticket. The AMC Rebel was a clincher.

I was thinking Deuteronomy and Numbers.

Anyway, you have a gift...

Believe me, I am more than capable of buying a ticket to the Iowa-Wyoming game, Bob, but the folks I would be sitting with that way would be random and not necessarily the biggest Iowa fan. I guess I should have put a "warning, long post" on the original. Got two "WTFs" so far. Oh well.

OK, I'll buy it.

I think I was fooled by the accent or lack of it. Bizon and Bama ites both have accents, but it sounded the same

:D

I actually copied and googled some of that post above to see if it is showing up elsewhere... It wasn't. Its legit. So that's where my comment really came from.

WHO 1040 - Coast to Coast, Border to Border, and then some

SIN1F - If it can't be said in 140 characters, it's not worth saying . . . this is the new ethos, and attention span. . .

Now, what were we discussing?

Latest posts