Are you going to watch the game this saturday

It would be awesome for recruits to see a half empty Kinnick Stadium as well, wouldn't it? That would help us recruit guys who we can develop to compete in the Big Ten, right?

I'm not going to stop coming to games because of a few bad years. I don't agree with everything the coaching staff does, but I still think Ferentz and his staff have done a pretty good job winning and competing at a place that it isn't an easy thing to do. Most importantly, I'm not going to quit coming to games because it's such valuable time with my dad, brother, and cousins. Meeting in Iowa City to tailgate is something truly special. It's such an amazing time, and one that I cherish seven times a year. Period. Who knows how many gamedays I have left with these people, but I'm going to take advantage of them while I can; whether we're winning or losing.

I think recruiting is hurt more by losing then how full or empty Kinnick is. I could see your argument being true if Kinnick was empty during good seasons. Basketball is a great example of this, today the tickets went on sale to the general public and they are going fast. Back when Lickliter was coach Carver was empty, the message was sent and Barta chose to pay him 900K per year to sit at home for 2 years than keep running it into the ground. Had fans just kept buying tickets and showing up I bet he would have been allowed to coach those final 2 seasons.

What you do with your family is great, I would never argue against spending time with your dad or your family.

It's not about me and the players knowing who's watching. It's about supporting them any way possible.

How is turning on your TV supporting the team, though? Wouldn't a better way to show support be getting a part time job, maybe as a barback, where you work the three hours the game is on and then give all of your earnings to the football team? That's real support.

I think recruiting is hurt more by losing then how full or empty Kinnick is. I could see your argument being true if Kinnick was empty during good seasons. Basketball is a great example of this, today the tickets went on sale to the general public and they are going fast. Back when Lickliter was coach Carver was empty, the message was sent and Barta chose to pay him 900K per year to sit at home for 2 years than keep running it into the ground. Had fans just kept buying tickets and showing up I bet he would have been allowed to coach those final 2 seasons.

What you do with your family is great, I would never argue against spending time with your dad or your family.
I understand, but do you really think Kinnick Stadium with 50,000 in it will be enough to validate an 18 million dollar buy out? Didn't something like this happen at Tennessee and their Athletic Dept went into major debt.

I understand, but do you really think Kinnick Stadium with 50,000 in it will be enough to validate an 18 million dollar buy out? Didn't something like this happen at Tennessee and their Athletic Dept went into major debt.

Well the big boy money is coming from the donors, if Iowa was to fall flat on their face this season I know some of the big donors will be not be happy. But just talking tickets, the average ticket sells for $55 and if a game only has 50k that means over 20K are left unsold at the tune of $1.2 million, for 7 home games the athletic department loses $8.4 million. That is enough money to buyout out KF (if you look at it per year) and hire a new coach with a nice salary. That alone is enough incentive for Barta to look at other options.

Tennessee's football program is in danger of impacting the broader university. They borrowed heavily to expand the stadium and then bring in new coaches to take them to the next level because Fulmer's national title and regularly good teams with a bad year every few years mixed in weren't good enough. They had a model similar to Iowa's where they relied on fleecing a huge number of the fans out of "donations" for tickets and when the team got really crappy, the fans willing to pay an extra $700 a year per seat or whatever disappeared. They got hit with some buyouts that siphoned out some more cash. The revenue model they were relying on just hasn't materialized and they are in big trouble, but they got a Godsend from the SEC's TV deal. They'll prolly be okay, but man, that is a prime example of when stuff turns, it can turn really bad.

You guys can call me a bad Hawks fan or whatever, but I don't want the football program to ever hit the pocketbooks of some 18-22 year old kids. Because Illinois football is so crappy, they are actually fleecing their students to rebuild Assembly Hall (though the students wisely voted that the new assessment wouldn't hit until a few years down the road after they are all graduated). It's a pretty sick world we live in where some kid sees the cost of their college go up by $1000 in total to subsidize a stadium being built or debt service on a stadium. If it came down to that for Iowa, I'd honestly rather see the FB and BB teams lose every game for a decade than our kids going further in debt just to advance competitive athletics.

Well the big boy money is coming from the donors, if Iowa was to fall flat on their face this season I know some of the big donors will be not be happy. But just talking tickets, the average ticket sells for $55 and if a game only has 50k that means over 20K are left unsold at the tune of $1.2 million, for 7 home games the athletic department loses $8.4 million. That is enough money to buyout out KF (if you look at it per year) and hire a new coach with a nice salary. That alone is enough incentive for Barta to look at other options.

I always wonder who these big donors are. Krause. Dead. Gerdin. Dead. Those are the guys who wrote the 7 figure checks. I know there is a lot of farm money, but those dudes are generally cash poor and land rich. Who are the guys who can get us up to even half of the buyout? It ain't dudes writing $10k or $50k checks, even though they think they are huge donors.

How is turning on your TV supporting the team, though? Wouldn't a better way to show support be getting a part time job, maybe as a barback, where you work the three hours the game is on and then give all of your earnings to the football team? That's real support.

I don't need a part time job to support them fiscally if you know what I mean. Support also comes in many forms.

Oh yeah, I'll watch. Every snap. I'm going to do my best to be so drunk before the game begins that I won't remember it though :)

I always wonder who these big donors are. Krause. Dead. Gerdin. Dead. Those are the guys who wrote the 7 figure checks. I know there is a lot of farm money, but those dudes are generally cash poor and land rich. Who are the guys who can get us up to even half of the buyout? It ain't dudes writing $10k or $50k checks, even though they think they are huge donors.

I cannot name them either, the person who was telling me about it threw some names at me and but I cannot remember. But I do not remember any of them being farmers, I doubt they are the ones making the big donations either.

Tennessee's football program is in danger of impacting the broader university. They borrowed heavily to expand the stadium and then bring in new coaches to take them to the next level because Fulmer's national title and regularly good teams with a bad year every few years mixed in weren't good enough. They had a model similar to Iowa's where they relied on fleecing a huge number of the fans out of "donations" for tickets and when the team got really crappy, the fans willing to pay an extra $700 a year per seat or whatever disappeared. They got hit with some buyouts that siphoned out some more cash. The revenue model they were relying on just hasn't materialized and they are in big trouble, but they got a Godsend from the SEC's TV deal. They'll prolly be okay, but man, that is a prime example of when stuff turns, it can turn really bad.

You guys can call me a bad Hawks fan or whatever, but I don't want the football program to ever hit the pocketbooks of some 18-22 year old kids. Because Illinois football is so crappy, they are actually fleecing their students to rebuild Assembly Hall (though the students wisely voted that the new assessment wouldn't hit until a few years down the road after they are all graduated). It's a pretty sick world we live in where some kid sees the cost of their college go up by $1000 in total to subsidize a stadium being built or debt service on a stadium. If it came down to that for Iowa, I'd honestly rather see the FB and BB teams lose every game for a decade than our kids going further in debt just to advance competitive athletics.

Poor Kids. They may even have to go home and work instead of going on Spring Break this year. Maybe even sell their I-Phones, etc.

I'm very excited to watch the game. I'm looking forward to seeing how they perform against the best in the conference. I think the seniors will have the guys ready for this game. They may not win but I expect you will see them give a great effort

I will be at the horse shoe at ohio college for the game. I will be very disappointed if Iowa does not compete with ohio and hope for an upset win. I love the experience of attending away games (I am lucky to be able to go to all of them). I got to see the Hawks darn near upset ohio a couple of years ago; I must admit that other than Kinnick, the horse shoe is the best venue in the BT.

One of the toughest stadiums to play in America, if not the toughest. When they start stomping on the upper decks it sounds like the end of the World......

I am looking for a decent showing by the Hawks. The team has pride and will give it everything they have and I will watch every minute of it......

Used to watch the game with my 7 year old daughter, Kate, and we were watching the slaughter at Arizona State years ago and late in the second half, she asked me why are you still watching the game, Dad. I said I wanted to see the Hawks score a point and they did, on the last play, I believe. She would watch a lot of games with me. The LSU bowl game and the NorthWestern State game included. She was in the Mall of America before a Minnesota game a while ago and saw some Hawk fans and started singing some pop song about Black and Gold, The Hawk fans loved it. The Minnesota peeps hated it. She didn't care and laughed at them, same as she and her friend, Amanda, both from DM Roosevelt did to the chicks at the Beverly Hills Malls. The Valley girls had no idea who they were and were staring in disbelief. Katy and Amanda laughed out loud at them, strolling thru the Mall.....

I will be watching the game....

Last edited:
I just gotta figure out where I'm going to watch the game on Saturday. Do I watch it at Ma's house since I'm here visiting or head to IC and go to the Vine or someplace to watch the game and down a couple cold brews.

If only we were playing Ohio rather than Ohio State. I think we would give Ohio a run for their money.

Be carfull what yer wishin fir, Keef. Bleacher report projects da fightin' Herkys vs THE Ohio bubcats in da pizza pizza bowl.

Latest posts