Are we getting too amped?

• Thread starter Ian Pike Hammer
  • Start date
I

Ian Pike Hammer

about the incoming freshman class and/or the upcoming year! As time passes, we all let our expectations and hopes build and build; each of us becoming "public relations agents" and building momentum. Thoughts?

Possibly. I am on the bandwagon, and I have always been high on the incoming class. BUT, the limitations and restrictions make it a bit difficult to build chemistry. And, the Luka decision looms.

about the incoming freshman class and/or the upcoming year! As time passes, we all let our expectations and hopes build and build; each of us becoming "public relations agents" and building momentum. Thoughts?
With the lack of a postseason and Luka hopefully coming back, I think we have good reason to be excited. JBo returns, Pat looks to be in a better position to contribute. The talent of the incoming recruits was underestimated. Should be a fun season!

I am super amped, unfortunately, if they come in to the season ranked in the top 10, if I had to bet which way it would go - them remaining in the top 10 to finish the year or outside of it, I would say its gonna be very hard to live up to that.

Until Luka says he's not coming back, I'll continue to be amped. If he happens to say he's NOT coming back, then I'll just move on to "Fire Fran"! :)

I think we have tons of reason to be excited, but I think people are severely underestimating our defensive shortcomings. It’s very hard to win on the road in the B1G if you can’t play defense.

Iowa won 2 B1G road games last year both against non tournament teams. They also lost to an abysmal Nebraska team in the road (Ik there were circumstances there).

Even if they double that plus one that’s 5-5 on the road, which won’t be enough for a B1G title if that’s what we are hoping for.

We need to improve our defense mightily if we think we are a top 10 level team, and I don’t see it happening. With that said we can still have an awesome season (sweet 16?) and I can’t wait to enjoy the ride.

I think we have tons of reason to be excited, but I think people are severely underestimating our defensive shortcomings. It’s very hard to win on the road in the B1G if you can’t play defense.

Iowa won 2 B1G road games last year both against non tournament teams. They also lost to an abysmal Nebraska team in the road (Ik there were circumstances there).

Even if they double that plus one that’s 5-5 on the road, which won’t be enough for a B1G title if that’s what we are hoping for.

We need to improve our defense mightily if we think we are a top 10 level team, and I don’t see it happening. With that said we can still have an awesome season (sweet 16?) and I can’t wait to enjoy the ride.

That's where I'm at. People SHOULD be excited for next year, but I'm also trying to be realistic about the defense. I agree with what you said - I have a hard time seeing this being a legit top 10 team and a legitemate conference title contender UNLESS the defense is markedly improved. Otherwise top 20 ranking and a top 4-5 league finish seems more realistic to me. If this team does play good defense, then the sky is the limit. Big IF though.

We shall see, but I look forward to finding out!

15-5 could possibly win it. I do think that's our max with last year's defense or even just a very small improvement. It's possible with our 2 guards being second year players and Bohannon being healthy (he has had injuries his whole career that really hurts your ability to defend) we could make a big improvement tho. Two other factors are Luka's work ethic will probably give him a pretty big improvement and I think team effort will be off the charts due to the season they are shooting for.

More too amped from the standpoint that COVID-19 might wipe out the season than too amped because they won't meet expectations.

I am salivating at the possibilities of what this team with everyone back could accomplish. Sure would like to witness JUST ONE MORE 30-5 season in my lifetime. Is that too much to ask?

BUT, we are talking Hawkeye Basketball here! EVERY TIME one has the highest of hopes for an upcoming season a fly lands in the ointment and a key piece of the puzzle ends up not playing for some reason or another. Couple that with the uncertainty of the world we live in and I'm trying to prepare myself to not be overly let down should we not get to see this team make a run at a possibly historic season.

15-5 could possibly win it. I do think that's our max with last year's defense or even just a very small improvement. It's possible with our 2 guards being second year players and Bohannon being healthy (he has had injuries his whole career that really hurts your ability to defend) we could make a big improvement tho. Two other factors are Luka's work ethic will probably give him a pretty big improvement and I think team effort will be off the charts due to the season they are shooting for.
I don’t think 10-0 at home in this league is a reasonable expectation. You’re bound to have at least 1 or 2 stinkers. Heck we just as easily could have lost to Wisconsin, Rutgers, and Michigan at home last year, those were all grinds.

I’m hoping Nunge, Pmac, and either Perkins or Ulis can collectively help improve the defense. Joe T and Fredrick are no longer freshman and should make strides and Luka will as well. The big defensive problem is bringing back JBo for likely heavy minutes, I know a lot of people want to say well oh he was never fully healthy, personally I think that’s blind optimism. I think he was playing through pain more than physical limitations.

I'm gonna be amped and super pumped, I think from Patrick's comments he and Joe T are White like gym rats and gonna be so much better. If one or two freshman make the leap to playing time it will be because of defense. Nudge should help on D as well. So D should be better and if Garza returns and JBo draws a double things should be really interesting.

I don’t think 10-0 at home in this league is a reasonable expectation. You’re bound to have at least 1 or 2 stinkers. Heck we just as easily could have lost to Wisconsin, Rutgers, and Michigan at home last year, those were all grinds.

I’m hoping Nunge, Pmac, and either Perkins or Ulis can collectively help improve the defense. Joe T and Fredrick are no longer freshman and should make strides and Luka will as well. The big defensive problem is bringing back JBo for likely heavy minutes, I know a lot of people want to say well oh he was never fully healthy, personally I think that’s blind optimism. I think he was playing through pain more than physical limitations.
I agree 10-0 can't be expected. I did say I thought that was our max. I disagree on Bohannon tho. Not being able to plant your foot and having bad hips are two pretty big deals for defense. There is no way it didn't effect him some.

I agree 10-0 can't be expected. I did say I thought that was our max. I disagree on Bohannon tho. Not being able to plant your foot and having bad hips are two pretty big deals for defense. There is no way it didn't effect him some.
I just think anyone expecting him to be anything other than a poor to below average defender is likely to be wrong. I hope like heck I’m wrong though.

Latest posts