Are users getting virus messages here?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
We have run some checks and things have shown up fine. But folks at Cyclonefanatic are complaining of virus warnings. I have never gotten a virus warning or security warning of any kind and I am on the site quite a bit. If you ever get a warning like that could you post the warning, the site that you came here from and the browser and version you are using. Thanks

I have not here. A couple of times (on different 'puters) been over at Cyclonenation and both Kapersky and Norton anti-virus went nuts. So I stay off of that site.

I suppose it could be a clever ploy by Cyclowns to prevent Hawks from visiting ... but on second thought that is way above their cumulative IQ.

I am running windows xp with AVG virus detection and firefox browser. I'm not getting any virus alerts from AVG. I have the popup blocker turned on, but I am allowing javascript within firefox's settings.

A few days ago my virus checker popped up a message that said a virus was found for this site and blocked it but later I didn't have any troubles.

I got a virus message here this morning, but not this afternoon.

I also got malware from one of the hawk sites on Thursday, but I'm not sure which one.

I never get any here, but on CF my computor at work won't allow me in and at home I get some warning periodically. At one time, and I think it was in the spring, both of my computors had viruses that were pretty much attributed to CF. Got them fixed and haven't had a problem since.

Actually, over the past couple weeks my anti-virus program (Symantec Endpoint Protection) was picking up something call Bloodhound.exploit.337 and it was deemed as an infected file. It was automatically removed and quarantined from my computer on 7/31, 8/12 & 8/13. It would only happen on this site and my computer would then be extremely slow as a result.

I was getting warnings here a couple days ago. I ran a full scan with Norton, Malwarebytes, and Ad Aware and turned up nothing. I haven't gotten the warnings since. I went to check out a thread at CF that was linked here and Norton went ballistic.

ive gotten a couple of viruses here, i had to switch from AVG free to microsofts free version, so far so good. I do get more warnings from clownfanatic than i do from here.

Running Firefox with NoScript and Symantec EndPoint Protection. Never seen a virus message pop-up, but NoScript would stop it before Symantec would see it anyway.

I've never seen any on CF either.

Jon, might I suggest turning off all ads for a few days and see if the problems go away? Or contact your ad suppliers and make sure they're not hosting any malicious ads by accident? I don't want you to lose money by not having ads, but it's just something to try.

We have run some checks and things have shown up fine. But folks at Cyclonefanatic are complaining of virus warnings. I have never gotten a virus warning or security warning of any kind and I am on the site quite a bit. If you ever get a warning like that could you post the warning, the site that you came here from and the browser and version you are using. Thanks

I get it all the time on windows 7, never get it at work which is XP.

I have the same Norton on both.

I had a virus warning just a few hours ago actually. I went into the thread, "Cyclown Article" and clicked on the link, which led me to CF, and that is when it popped up.

I have windows 7, internet explorer, and i use webroot internet security essentials.

I have had it happen a few times, but I don't remember where I had the other warnings from.

Ive had it quite a bit over the last week or so. I run malwarebytes and bitdefender and have not turned up a virus yet though.

My avast! antivirus protection just blocked a virus (malware) this morning while logging onto this site.

Like others, I also had several instances last week (trojan horse) as well on this site.

I really, really want people to make certain these warnings are coming from this site. I have been using IE all morning, and intend to use it all day until I can replicate this..so far, not a problem all week using IE 8 at work.

I had no problems today when I came to this site via Chrome. After reading your last post, I opened IE7 and went immediately to HN. I got popups from my anti-virus software saying it had blocked two threats. If it helps, the threat names were "Possible_Hifrm-5" and "HTML_IFRAME.CRM".

I really, really want people to make certain these warnings are coming from this site. I have been using IE all morning, and intend to use it all day until I can replicate this..so far, not a problem all week using IE 8 at work.

Jon,

I don't know if it helps but I can tell you that the IT guy who I paid to remove the virus I had said definitively that it came from here. I actually caught the same virus twice in a matter of two days and he said both came from here. I've also had it come up when this is the only window open.

The IT guy believes it came from some of the ads running on the site.

I just experienced a warning for the first time. I'm running Windows Vista, IE7 and Norton 360. Norton did not actively block an malware attacks, but when I tried to visit from my IE bookmark I was instead greeted by a bright yellow warning page saying "Malicious Website Blocked" and I had to choose to either continue to the site or close the page.

I also noticed that when I reached the HN homepage the menu was not displayed in the black bar across the top, but was actually running across the HN header. Also a first but I don't know if the two are related.

Latest posts