Are there any BBall Rule Changes that You Would Like to See?

How about a grading system for refs. Ya know, like they grade players, coaches, etc.
And I'm not talking about a paper (regurgitate the rules) test, or the stamina test.

I'm talking film critique.

Make the grade, keep your job. If not, you don't.

It would weed out the incompetence.
They already do this after every game. It’s about two hours long. You have no idea what D1-A officials have to go through in football and basketball lol.

These guys are the absolute best in the business and there are several every year who don’t cut the mustard and aren’t brought back. If you want to start replacing the current crop of officials get ready for things to get exponentially worse immediately. Like mind-blowingly worse. If you think there’s “incompetence” at that level you’re so far detached from reality I don’t know what to say.

I’ve umpired high school, Legion, and NAIA baseball for 21 years total, and done HS football for 7. Never basketball. If you think these guys aren’t at the absolute pinnacle of what’s available out there or if you think any part of it is simple or easy to do, I’d recommend you talk to your local officials association or high school AD and give it a try. They’d take you in a heartbeat, not kidding...there’s a huge need. Going by how you think they aren’t judged or graded on everything they do, or how you think there’s a big line of perfect officials out there just waiting for a D1-A guy to get the boot, I’m guessing you’d get chewed up and spit out even at the high school level.

Funny side note, the reason there’s a shortage of officials and prospective new officials is because of fans like you at games who think it’s easy and obvious to do their job. It’s ok though, until I tried it myself for the first time, I thought it was easy too.

College game should go to 4 refs, like NHL did a few years ago.
Cleaned up the game, more excitement, movement, crowds are great.
Put a ref on each baseline, 2 in the middle work up and down. No more missed break away calls.

Eliminate the 3pt line until 9th grade. Coached since 1985. So many poor youth shooters because of the bad habits developed at age 10 chucking the ball up from the hip.

They already do this after every game. It’s about two hours long. You have no idea what D1-A officials have to go through in football and basketball lol.

These guys are the absolute best in the business and there are several every year who don’t cut the mustard and aren’t brought back. If you want to start replacing the current crop of officials get ready for things to get exponentially worse immediately. Like mind-blowingly worse. If you think there’s “incompetence” at that level you’re so far detached from reality I don’t know what to say.

I’ve umpired high school, Legion, and NAIA baseball for 21 years total, and done HS football for 7. Never basketball. If you think these guys aren’t at the absolute pinnacle of what’s available out there or if you think any part of it is simple or easy to do, I’d recommend you talk to your local officials association or high school AD and give it a try. They’d take you in a heartbeat, not kidding...there’s a huge need. Going by how you think they aren’t judged or graded on everything they do, or how you think there’s a big line of perfect officials out there just waiting for a D1-A guy to get the boot, I’m guessing you’d get chewed up and spit out even at the high school level.

Funny side note, the reason there’s a shortage of officials and prospective new officials is because of fans like you at games who think it’s easy and obvious to do their job. It’s ok though, until I tried it myself for the first time, I thought it was easy too.
Excellent take, Fry. The average fan who talks about dreadful officiating wouldn't know good (or bad) reffing if they saw it. Most have no idea what it takes to ref a game at any level. Watching a game thru ref's eyes (30+ years for me) is a totally different experience. One of the problems is that play-by-play and color guys often join the chorus, and they are equally clueless. The refereeing at D1 is so good it's amazing. Perfect? Of course not. As long as humans are wearing striped shirts you won't get perfection. But these refs are ridiculously good.
(I expect to get shredded for this.)

Excellent take, Fry. The average fan who talks about dreadful officiating wouldn't know good (or bad) reffing if they saw it. Most have no idea what it takes to ref a game at any level. Watching a game thru ref's eyes (30+ years for me) is a totally different experience. One of the problems is that play-by-play and color guys often join the chorus, and they are equally clueless. The refereeing at D1 is so good it's amazing. Perfect? Of course not. As long as humans are wearing striped shirts you won't get perfection. But these refs are ridiculously good.
(I expect to get shredded for this.)
My issue comes in when refs anticipate calls that never happen, call things they don't see.

I dont expect refs to see everything and sometimes the ref sixty feet away has the best view. I just don't want them calling what's not there.

You hear it at least once a broadcast, especially on Homer radio; "there was a ref right there and the call came from clear across the court"

It's lazy and annoying (on the announcers' part) Again, sometimes the guy sixty feet away has the best view.

No. Do not take my fun away from the games! I love to yell at the refs. I think they are terrible. The crowd cheers super loud when they think the refs made a bad call. You are always bitching about the fans not cheering loud enough, then you post this crap.

No. Do not take my fun away from the games! I love to yell at the refs. I think they are terrible. The crowd cheers super loud when they think the refs made a bad call. You are always bitching about the fans not cheering loud enough, then you post this crap.
More barking from the peanut gallery from someone who’s never officiated in his life.

I am a proud member of the peanut gallery. Never have officiated in my life. Now leave me alone damn it.
Why don't you try it? You're retired and you'd have a better appreciation for the game. One you can't get any other way.

Eliminate the 3pt line until 9th grade. Coached since 1985. So many poor youth shooters because of the bad habits developed at age 10 chucking the ball up from the hip.
No way. That’s just shitty coaching, not an inherent problem with the game.

That’d be like saying they should do away with home runs in baseball because kids are striking out too much swinging crazy for the fences. You coach fundamentally solid line drive hitting when they’re young and home runs will happen eventually if their hands get quick enough.

Just like in basketball you coach proper shooting form at the youth level and it’ll translate as they get older.

Don’t dumb-down a sport because of shitty coaching.

That’d be like saying they should do away with home runs in baseball because kids are striking out too much swinging crazy for the fences. You coach fundamentally solid line drive hitting when they’re young and home runs will happen eventually if their hands get quick enough.

Just like in basketball you coach proper shooting form at the youth level and it’ll translate as they get older.

Not a basketball rule change and recently discussed in another topic, but the pitch clock appears to have had an immediate and noticeable impact based on MLB opening day.

And batters are on the clock as well. The only pandora's box it might possibly open up is the possibility of frequent reviews as to whether the pitcher started his windup before the clock hit zero. Or is this even reviewable?

Another positive development is long overdue raises for minor league players. There are many, many more of them, and the guy who scratches out the five or six year big league career, than there are elite superstars.

It's a shame that so much attention has been paid to the elite players (who are still more than fairly compensated relative to market value) and not to the vast majority of players who never or barely make it. Hopefully the new agreement benefits those players.

Agreed, Fry. One of the reasons for implementing the 3 point shot was the worry that tall players would totally dominate the game and smaller quick athletic guys would be out the door.

Not a basketball rule change and recently discussed in another topic, but the pitch clock appears to have had an immediate and noticeable impact based on MLB opening day.

And batters are on the clock as well. The only pandora's box it might possibly open up is the possibility of frequent reviews as to whether the pitcher started his windup before the clock hit zero. Or is this even reviewable?

Another positive development is long overdue raises for minor league players. There are many, many more of them, and the guy who scratches out the five or six year big league career, than there are elite superstars.

It's a shame that so much attention has been paid to the elite players (who are still more than fairly compensated relative to market value) and not to the vast majority of players who never or barely make it. Hopefully the new agreement benefits those players.
I saw on ESPN the other day it shortened day one games by 25 minutes over the average. That's absolutely huge.

Agreed, Fry. One of the reasons for implementing the 3 point shot was the worry that tall players would totally dominate the game and smaller quick athletic guys would be out the door.
If they had hindsight, they would have seen that the end of the baby boom population swell would have taken care of that by itself. Boomer seven footers from Kareem to Patrick Ewing dominated the collegiate landscape for two decades. Any many of them were legit players.

For two decades after that most of the seven footers who played college basketball were nonathletic stiffs. And the game became guard dominated. Then you steadily got an influx of Kevin Durant type players, Joel Embild, European players. People who were tall, good, and steadily developed the three point shot as they got older.

I saw on ESPN the other day it shortened day one games by 25 minutes over the average. That's absolutely huge.
I thought that was for spring training but a comparable reduction in regular season game times would be monumental for all the reasons discussed before. Increased fan interest, increased viewership, less tired players and umpires in the humid dog days, simply an overall better product.

For two decades after that most of the seven footers who played college basketball were nonathletic stiffs. And the game became guard dominated. Then you steadily got an influx of Kevin Durant type players, Joel Embild, European players. People who were tall, good, and steadily developed the three point shot as they got older.
The game has definitely evolved.

It used to be you had big men, forwards, and guards, and neither really did anything from the other camp. To be honest, the game was MUCH more interesting and watchable then.

Now the best players are essentially what would happen if Hakeem Olajuwon and Ray Allen had a baby that couldn't play defense. It's amazing--don't get me wrong--but it's boring as shit to watch.

Just like MMA. You used to have brawlers, jiu jitsu technicians, kickboxers, and wrestlers, and it was AMAZING to watch those fights. Any one of those guys from the early 2000s would get absolutely destroyed by fighters today because the game has essentially been figured out. Guys are too good...and it sucks ass to watch.

Folkstyle wrestling is the same way. It doesn't favor offense anymore and Cael Sanderson has figured out how to win titles by recruiting the best wrestlers and teaching them how to win every match 1-0 or 2-1 with no takedowns.