Are the Brands becoming Fran and Kirk?

Scott Leclair

Spencer Lee had been in this position before with Ramos. The same move that Ramos was up 8-0 on Spencer, was up 4-1 tonight on Spencer and what got him pinned. Iowa wrestlers don’t seem to concerned with bonus points. Up by a few and then just wrestle not to lose the rest of the match.

To me it seems as if the Brands are content with being runner up to Penn State and getting at least 1 wrestler to the finals. They seem to have lost the killer mentality nwhich made them who they were.

Maybe it’s still the shock in Spencer getting pinned but would really like to see a new approach next season. Also will need to hit the porthole hard for some studs

Spencer Lee had been in this position before with Ramos. The same move that Ramos was up 8-0 on Spencer, was up 4-1 tonight on Spencer and what got him pinned. Iowa wrestlers don’t seem to concerned with bonus points. Up by a few and then just wrestle not to lose the rest of the match.

To me it seems as if the Brands are content with being runner up to Penn State and getting at least 1 wrestler to the finals. They seem to have lost the killer mentality nwhich made them who they were.

Maybe it’s still the shock in Spencer getting pinned but would really like to see a new approach next season. Also will need to hit the porthole hard for some studs
Penn State $$$$$$ & never should’ve let Cael out of the state of iowa .would iowa wrestling be different today if Cael was Hawkeye wrestling coach?

The sight of Spencer's mom smashing her glasses is now all over sports center and destined to become an icon for the ages,, like the Wide World of Sports ski jumper

You are so out of touch with collegiate wrestling it’s not even funny.

So, let me get this straight. You are equating the Brands brothers - who have one four national championships and have finished second the majority of the other years - to two coaches that have historically hovered in the middle of their conferences year after year? LOL. Okay.

The Brands are far from perfect but the body of work speaks for itself. Catching up to PSU will be next to impossible for the foreseeable future. Too much money and momentum. Right now, Cael basically has his pick of the litter nationally each recruiting season, and he knows how to identify talent and not just toughness.

As far as recruiting, the Brands are recruiting quite well and may have the best class ever coming in. Cody Chittum and Ben Kueter have national championship potential (assuming Keuter dedicates fully to wrestling and that's a big if). Gabe Arnold, Nate Jesuroga, Ryder Block and Kale Petersen complete a very good haul.

We have to get in early and hard on Dreshaun Ross. That kid is an absolute freak.

"The Iowa athletic department and a portion of the fan base are more interested in maintaining than excelling."

I have heard this statement or variations of this statement quite a bit in the last few days. I don't know enough about the wrestling world to throw Tom Brands into this, but that statement is in my head a little bit.

I
As far as recruiting, the Brands are recruiting quite well and may have the best class ever coming in. Cody Chittum and Ben Kueter have national championship potential (assuming Keuter dedicates fully to wrestling and that's a big if). Gabe Arnold, Nate Jesuroga, Ryder Block and Kale Petersen complete a very good haul.

We have to get in early and hard on Dreshaun Ross. That kid is an absolute freak.
You can take Nate Jesuroga out of the picture he’s not coming.

The sight of Spencer's mom smashing her glasses is now all over sports center and destined to become an icon for the ages,, like the Wide World of Sports ski jumper
I didn't think that was a good look....maybe an unpopular opinion....looked like a poor sport.

Although, can't deny her passion though for her son.

Last edited:
"The Iowa athletic department and a portion of the fan base are more interested in maintaining than excelling."

I have heard this statement or variations of this statement quite a bit in the last few days. I don't know enough about the wrestling world to throw Tom Brands into this, but that statement is in my head a little bit.
I don't know enough either. I will say this, no question Iowa is a definitive blue blood in College Wrestling. Thank Dan Gable and his wrestlers for that.

In fact, Iowa is the old money of college wrestling. It is still a top 3 program nationally.

It use to be where Penn St is now. Penn St is the new money (has the money) and is the king of the sport.

In terms of the OP posing the question is Tom Brands becoming Ferentz/Fran.....I think you have to look at what each coach has done in their respective sports. Brands has won the whole thing multiple times where the other coaches have not. But Iowa wrestling is also in a much, much, much better position than football and men's basketball.

So, I think the question is, should we be seeing more Titles out of Brands and giving Penn St more competition? Should the gap between 1 and 2 be as much as it is?

I don't know enough either. I will say this, no question Iowa is a definitive blue blood in College Wrestling. Thank Dan Gable and his wrestlers for that.

In fact, Iowa is the old money of college wrestling. It is still a top 3 program nationally.

It use to be where Penn St is now. Penn St is the new money (has the money) and is the king of the sport.

In terms of the OP posing the question is Tom Brands becoming Ferentz/Fran.....I think you have to look at what each coach has done in their respective sports. Brands has won the whole thing multiple times where the other coaches have not. But Iowa wrestling is also in a much, much, much better position than football and men's basketball.

So, I think the question is, should we be seeing more Titles out of Brands and giving Penn St more competition? Should the gap between 1 and 2 be as much as it is?
We will have to hit the portal and get more guys like real woods to hang with Penn state.

I didn't think that was a good look....maybe an unpopular opinion....looked like a poor sport.

Although, can't deny her passion though for her son.
Considering he's got three national titles, possibly.

There are worse things in life than three firsts and a second. I do know how passionate parents are towards wrestling sons and daughters, perhaps more so than any other sport.

I've been to all day Saturday high school round Robin's in the middle of the season and seen how passionate those can get.

Can only imagine what the state tournament is like. @Fryowa can't tell us, he's never been to Des Moines:)

Seeing Spencer's mom reminded me of Iowa’s Duane Goldman in 1985. Finishing second for the third time in Stillwater, he stormed out to the lobby, picked up a metal trash container, and chucked it through a plate glass window.

With one more chance to make it happen, and in Iowa City no less, Goldman got his gold in 1986. Downtown was a nut house that weekend. Damage included, but was not limited to, a no parking street sign uprooted from the ground and deposited through a first floor window in Currier Hall.

So, let me get this straight. You are equating the Brands brothers - who have one four national championships and have finished second the majority of the other years - to two coaches that have historically hovered in the middle of their conferences year after year? LOL. Okay.

The Brands are far from perfect but the body of work speaks for itself. Catching up to PSU will be next to impossible for the foreseeable future. Too much money and momentum. Right now, Cael basically has his pick of the litter nationally each recruiting season, and he knows how to identify talent and not just toughness.
@Scott Leclair doesnt have the first clue about the state (current or future) of collegiate wrestling, nor does he know what’s going on in IC or the HWC. Suggesting firing Tom Brands is literally the dumbest thing that’s ever been posted on this or any other Hawkeye board. And that isn’t hyperbole.

Six all Americans and second place team correct? Brands the wrestler really stepped up. I just wish as a team we wrestled more aggressively but I was spoiled by the old days of us just piling points up. Go hawks!

@Scott Leclair doesnt have the first clue about the state (current or future) of collegiate wrestling, nor does he know what’s going on in IC or the HWC. Suggesting firing Tom Brands is literally the dumbest thing that’s ever been posted on this or any other Hawkeye board. And that isn’t hyperbole.
Once again you put words into people’s mouth. Just like with Kaden Proctor. Where in the blue hell did i say fire Tom Brands? I even see a few post that “don’t see anywhere about firing him”

Notice everyone one here has legit responses or takes. You on the other hand go full CNN and make crap up as you go.

Sack up and post where i said anything about firing Tom Brands. Also, i’m still waiting for the BS claim you made the the Proctor family and i have Sunday dinner. Put up or shut up. Your high horse act is really getting old.