Are Iowa's Assistant Coaches Holding Us Back?

Gene Keady was a nice guy away from the court, could be a jerk on it. Mostly, he showed up for games looking like he dressed in the dark that morning (and if you saw his wife you wouldn't want the lights on any more than necessary either). But was a hall of fame caliber coach who knew what he was doing on the sideline. Just needed a better postseason record and a couple final four runs.

His combover was the best

Other than Jud Heathcote that is

Sam Dekker has been in the news lately

Damn

:cool:

His combover was the best

Other than Jud Heathcote that is

Sam Dekker has been in the news lately

Damn

Lou Henson couldn't even comb his over.

Not enough to do so.

I miss the eighties early nineties for the coaches as much as the players. I miss the Jud Thud.

And we haven't even mentioned Bill Frieder.

Bills hair was OK, it was his nose that caused him grief.

And his constant cut downs of Iowa players and fans. Guess he didn't take too kindly to George Raveling and Tom Davis raiding the state of Michigan.

Last edited:
Just might have been national champs that year we played without Ray in the tournament. He could have stopped Rodney Monroe nailing those deadly threes. Ray had very long arms and was the best defender on the team.....

Alas and Alack

If I remember, BJ Armstrong ended up guarding Rodney Monroe for much of that game. Monroe never goes off for forty if Thompson is checking him. Not in a thousand lifetimes.

Refer to our posts back in February and March:)

EDIT: That would have been an all time party if we had made the final four in 1989. We would have joined Michigan and Illinois. And I would love to have seen that team, all hands on deck, go up against Duke in the next round, which I believe they would have done.

Last edited:
If I remember, BJ Armstrong ended up guarding Rodney Monroe for much of that game. Monroe never goes off for forty if Thompson is checking him. Not in a thousand lifetimes.

EDIT: That would have been an all time party if we had made the final four in 1989. We would have joined Michigan and Illinois. And I would love to have seen that team, all hands on deck, go up against Duke in the next round, which I believe they would have done.

Think they would've gone up against Georgetown in the next round (#1 seed) if they had gotten past NC State. Damn you, Rodney Monroe.. Then Duke in the regional final.

https://www.printyourbrackets.com/ncaa-march-madness-results-1989.html

Still am ticked about Ray Thompson getting ruled ineligible right before the tournament. That was so "Iowa".

Think they would've gone up against Georgetown in the next round (#1 seed) if they had gotten past NC State. Damn you, Rodney Monroe.. Then Duke in the regional final.

https://www.printyourbrackets.com/ncaa-march-madness-results-1989.html

Still am ticked about Ray Thompson getting ruled ineligible right before the tournament. That was so "Iowa".
That was the bracket where #16 seed Princeton almost knocked off #1 seed Georgetown. The Hoyas finally went ahead for good late but needed one last defensive stop to preserve a two point opening round win. We were watching that game at the Sports Column and couldn't believe it. Pete Carill had once won the NIT and had once knocked North Carolina out of the NCAA tournament but his true legend was born that day. For the next seven or eight years nobody wanted to draw Princeton in the first round.

Lou Henson couldn't even comb his over.

Not enough to do so.

I miss the eighties early nineties for the coaches as much as the players. I miss the Jud Thud.

And we haven't even mentioned Bill Frieder.

Bills hair was OK, it was his nose that caused him grief.

And his constant cut downs of Iowa players and fans. Guess he didn't take too kindly to George Raveling and Tom Davis raiding the state of Michigan.

I do remember Frieder in a game at Michigan screaming at Jeff Moe while the teams were going to the locker room, Moe, You're an A**hole. Could hear it quite clearly on TV.....

Always the European Old School Gentleman.....

I do remember the discussion. It is like picking an almost healed scab to watch the blood flow once again.....

I do remember Frieder in a game at Michigan screaming at Jeff Moe while the teams were going to the locker room, Moe, You're an A**hole. Could hear it quite clearly on TV.....

Always the European Old School Gentleman.....

The big ten then was loaded with white guards that everyone else loved to hate. Scott Skiles, Steve Alford, Moe, Jay Burson, Garde Thompson, Doug Altenberger, Mike Heineman. Skiles in particular, thrived on being a badass. He told Michigan's Antoine Joubert to go ahead and shoot it, let's see what you got fat boy.
He told Jeff Hornecek where on the court his next shot was going in and he stuck it from that spot on the next possession. Georgetown in the NCAA'S tried to put him in intensive care. By the second half he was leading the break like Magic Johnson, hitting fadeaways in front of John Thompson, and barking at their bench as he ran by. They would have gone to the final four that year had they not been stopped by a "clock malfunction" against the Jayhawks in Kansas City.